Losing a beloved pet.

This is close to home right now. That's all I'll say.
Bond have is impossible to explain to anyone who hasn't had it.

Seeing the deterioration is the hardest part by far. Balancing "one more day" with "it's the right thing to do".

At least it's a decision we can make for pets. Unlike for loved people who have to suffer through to the grim end.

So sorry for your loss. It's ****. Just total ****.

Personally, I don't think I can have another one. The trauma is just too much for me :(

That was hard to read and yes it’s awful when you have to make the choice for them. Good on you for making the right one and I hope you feel better soon. Pour love onto your other dog as she’ll be grieving too.

It is one of the most traumatic experiences to go through, twice now with previous cats, but I would never not be at the end with them. I was probably more griefstricken and tearful than when either of my parents died.
You are saying goodbye to a little person in a fur coat who has been a constant companion for the last 10 years or more.
At the end of the day you have done everything you can for them - our last cat was (literally) on his knees with massive kidney failure. Vet reckoned he was down under 10% of normal function. He could barely drag himself in and out of his litter tray. I mean we would never know but he must have been in fairly chronic pain.
Both times the vets were very good and I guess it's not always easy for them even though they might have to do it several times a day.
The memories are there to treasure for ever and on both occasions, after a couple of days we went around the local shelters to find a new cat to give a home too.
Our current cat is 13 this year (after surviving major intestinal surgery at age 2 which the vet was by no means certsin she would come through), though still hale and hearty you do get the realisation she has fewer years ahead than behind.

I've been through something very similar just a couple of weeks ago. My Jack Russell, Bunsen. 15 years old, and has been suffering from dementia for maybe a year. Finally had to accept we were doing him a disservice by not taking action - there was little quality of life remaining. If he was awake, he would just be constantly circling, sometimes quite frantically.

He had to be sedated, because he was too confused and anxious to be canulated. After a bit of wandering around the room (similar place to what you describe) he came and lay across my leg as he fell asleep - which nearly broke me.

I got through the procedure, had a bit of a meltdown when they left me with him for a while afterwards. Then another when I got back to the car, and another when i got home.

At the time, they asked if I wanted them to take pawprints and a clip of hair for us to keep. I just said I don't know, as I was too numb to answer and they dropped it. Last week a sympathy card arrived from them with the prints and hair inside. Apparently I should have said yes, because seeing them broke me again.

I'm getting better, but still keep feeling hopeless when I remember him and his last day. Like you, we have the benefit of his sister Beaker still being with us.

Here's Bunsen's last picture.

Sorry I can't work out how to embed.

It was really a gift to be able to have those few minutes of closeness with him one last time. A horrible symptom of the dementia was losing the loves and cuddles.

Last edited:
We've had 2 English springer spaniels the 1st reached 13.5 years and was put to sleep in my arms , vets was empty when I carried him in and as walked out into the waiting room it was packed . All looked at me as just carried his collar out of the consult room . Few months later wife and kids pestered for another ESS and all was well until he 6 years old when lymphoma was diagnosed . He only last 5 days and again put to sleep in my arms , I vowed never again and 6 years later I've kept to that as the loss was horrible .It also helps I have acute dander allergy so that sealed the deal though I miss the companionship and joy of a dog :(.

So sorry to read this, I have lost 4 and the last two were both Cancer.

My mother had some type of extreme break down and ended up in hospital after the last one was put to sleep at 6 years old.

My Sister has lost about half a dozen in recent years. The last one choked to death on a Doggy treat that she left with the dog.

My Brothers puppy Alsatian was poisoned to death by a neighbor because it was barking too much.
Please tell me that neighbour was punished for that sickening act of murder

My best mate is my 15 year old Staffie, going to ruin me when that time comes. He’s deaf, half blind and sleeps/farts all the time.

Much prefer him to 99.9% of the humans in my life.

My condolences to you, I’ve done it before and it’s ****. Never gets easier

Really sorry for your loss. It sucks. We had to put ours down at 11 years old and it came on relatively quickly, which looking back was probably a blessing.

We still have the other dog who is 15 now and every day he amazes me with his energy but he's deaf, half blind and has no teeth.

I think when he finally goes, it will be tough. Not having him bark or jump at me when I come home will be a feeling I've not experienced for such a long time. The silence will be deafening.

Sorry to hear that. It's never easy, and it's the worst part about owning a pet, especially a dog. My previous dog got put down back in October 2019. She was 13 but had joint issues. One morning, she just couldn't get up any more. We called the vets and they came to our house to put her down, which I'm glad they did because she wasn't a big fan of the vets, so I'm glad she was at home. I was at work at the time and got a phone call. Was devastated. People who have never had a dog will never understand that they are more than just a pet, they are part of the family. We went on for about 4 months without another dog and the house never felt the same. There were days when you would, for a split second, think she was behind you/following you around the house. We got a new dog during lockdown as it was the best time due to someone always being in the house, and it was the best thing we could have done. What they bring far outweighs any grief that's to come.

Sorry to hear that mate. Lost my pug of nearly 11 years 6 weeks ago and I still miss her dearly. What’s weirder is that I’m still certain I hear her little noises, shuffling about etc. But she’s obviously gone. :(

That was a good call on the sedation. It cost a fortune but we had a vet come to our house to let her go. She wasn’t a fan of the vets and we wanted her to pass where she was happiest, on our laps.

They say it gets easier in time but if I’m honest feel like a piece of my heart went with her.

So sorry, and it brings back the awful memories of putting down our Pug and our Brussels Griffon.

They were of the same age (15) and were brought up together.

If I am perfectly honest when their health started to fade, we should have made the decision then and there, but we chose to dig our head in the sand and not acknowledge the obvious signs that they had had enough.

When it was time (we put them down within 3 months of each other) the pain was unbearable and on those trips to the vets, if either me or my wife had backed out.....the other one would have as well....we struggled.....really struggled with the decision.

It was the right one though.

We now have another rescue Pug (4) and a rescue Golden Retriever (5) and we have promised ourselves that we wouldn't willingly ignore the signs again

Back
Top Bottom