• Yes V6 FE Manual - 5k paid

Votes: 11 28.9%
  • Yes V6 FE Auto - 5k paid

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes i4 DCT FE - 2k paid

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Still thinking about and NO deposit paid

Votes: 19 50.0%
  • 2k Deposit paid but making no decisions yet, holding out.

Votes: 6 15.8%

• Total voters
OcUK Staff
Only on the AMG engine. I specifically said on the v6 :)

Fair enough, and yep V6 is only manual and older automatic, but from speaking to people they say its half decent as its been heavily tweaked for response, so before judging try to find a car with it and try it.

OcUK Staff
I've grown really fond of the gear ratios on 8 speed boxes too, it feels likely they're going to be silly long on the 6 speed :(

Unfortunately like Porsche the Emira will also have this weakness on the V6 manual and automatic.

I guess its all about emissions but short ratios are so much fun in a road car both manual and paddles.

Soldato
Unfortunately like Porsche the Emira will also have this weakness on the V6 manual and automatic.

I guess its all about emissions but short ratios are so much fun in a road car both manual and paddles.

except Porsche fix it by offering 7 speed PDK....brand new car in 2021 with a 6 speed auto is stupid.

OcUK Staff
except Porsche fix it by offering 7 speed PDK....brand new car in 2021 with a 6 speed auto is stupid.

The 7 speed PDK improves it but most definitely does not fix it, your still seeing 80mph in 2nd on the 7 speed, which is nothing short of a joke. In Porsche land in modern cars short gearing does not exist in manual or PDK.

Short gearing is 60mph in 2nd, around 80-90 in 3rd, around 110 in 4th, that makes manual or paddles fun in a road car, 5th upwards can be longer, but the 2nd, 3rd and 4th should be tightly packed, makes for more fun and engaging drive.

Whereas Porsche is 80-90 in 2nd, 115-125 in 3rd and 140+ in 4th, its just bonkers and its very expensive to change and not recommended.

The final drive ratio modification on my M3 was the best power mod I did, totally transformed the acceleration feel and engagement of the car. Easy to do and reliable.

Soldato
it's a real shame that they're not offering the v6 with a decent auto option. I know purists must have a manual, but the sales numbers show that MANY people want an auto box even in sportier cars these days (911/Cayman PDKs outselling manuals etc).

Even if they'd just gone zf8 like the new m4 etc, or used an 8 speed dct like the AMG option will have, it would've been far more attractive to those who don't care that much for the third pedal but do want the sound/power delivery of the v6. A 6-speed slushbox in a car like this seems absurd in 2021

The ZF8HP is only suitable for longitudinal mounted engines, the v6 in the Lotus is transverse.

Soldato
it's a real shame that they're not offering the v6 with a decent auto option. I know purists must have a manual, but the sales numbers show that MANY people want an auto box even in sportier cars these days (911/Cayman PDKs outselling manuals etc).

Even if they'd just gone zf8 like the new m4 etc, or used an 8 speed dct like the AMG option will have, it would've been far more attractive to those who don't care that much for the third pedal but do want the sound/power delivery of the v6. A 6-speed slushbox in a car like this seems absurd in 2021

A 6-speed slushbox that Lotus have reprogrammed, by all accounts in Evora 400 and newer cars it's very good with pretty much instant shifts, auto blip on downchange and very smooth when not pushing on.

Gear ratios are also vaguely sensible as well so there's a chance that rev through 3rd on the road without getting into too much trouble (compared to a Porsche)
1 - 38mph
2 - 66mph
3 - 89mph - EDIT, think is is a mistake on the page and should be 98mph
4 - 125.96mph
5 - 176.71mph
6 - 207.18mph
https://wiki.seloc.org/a/2GR-FE_Gearboxes#Maximum_Speed_per_gear

Given the huge number of orders they have for the next few years, I doubt they'll be losing much sleep over a few dropped orders as 6 ratios aren't enough in an Automatic gearbox.

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
A 6-speed slushbox that Lotus have reprogrammed, by all accounts in Evora 400 and newer cars it's very good with pretty much instant shifts, auto blip on downchange and very smooth when not pushing on.

Gear ratios are also vaguely sensible as well so there's a chance that rev through 3rd on the road without getting into too much trouble (compared to a Porsche)
1 - 38mph
2 - 66mph
3 - 89mph - EDIT, think is is a mistake on the page and should be 98mph
4 - 125.96mph
5 - 176.71mph
6 - 207.18mph
https://wiki.seloc.org/a/2GR-FE_Gearboxes#Maximum_Speed_per_gear

Given the huge number of orders they have for the next few years, I doubt they'll be losing much sleep over a few dropped orders as 6 ratios aren't enough in an Automatic gearbox.

Are the lower speeds in each gear on the automatic also not because it has a 6500rpm limiter compared to 7000rpm?

Soldato
Lotus gearing is a bit odd, the rev limit isn't the same in every gear and 2nd was usually higher. I'm not sure if it's still true for the current cars though.

OcUK Staff
Lotus gearing is a bit odd, the rev limit isn't the same in every gear and 2nd was usually higher. I'm not sure if it's still true for the current cars though.

Also is the limiter still soft in race mode like it is in sport mode?

I noticed in the Evora the limiter felt odd, instead of hitting a limiter at 7000rpm the car just stop accelerating like a soft limiter. This was in sport mode, I never tried race mode but I assumed or would hope in race it would bang of the limiter as to speak?

Soldato
Also is the limiter still soft in race mode like it is in sport mode?

I noticed in the Evora the limiter felt odd, instead of hitting a limiter at 7000rpm the car just stop accelerating like a soft limiter. This was in sport mode, I never tried race mode but I assumed or would hope in race it would bang of the limiter as to speak?

They have both I think.

In my S2 Elise It won't let you go over 4000 revs when the engine is cold, but it will also go slightly over the "max" in short bursts once hot. There is no actual red line on the dials, it's just somewhere the car wants it at the time. No TC though so perminent "race mode" :p

But with the newer engines and emissions regs etc it might not be the same.

Soldato
They might be around 7200-7500rpm once at optimal temps.

Looking at the digital dash on some of the newer cars, it looks like the redline vanishes when you put it in "race" so it probably works the same.

Last edited:
Soldato
Lots of info today after the viewing - really well presented with a few speeches and videos, then the car reveal and plenty of time to play about with it while talking to the designers and engineering team.

@Gibbo to answer some of your questions that I asked the guys:

Finance - they kept saying they couldn't discuss this as it's not finalised but will be in a matter of weeks.

Steering Wheel - They expected manual to be very few, so as it stands just now it's plain black leather or plain black alcantara only, but it seems a LOT of us have raised this with Lotus. The dealer actually said told me that if Lotus themselves don't offer the option to manual buyers, that they will try to sort it out for a few quid and have it fitted prior to collection, which is rather convenient!

Evora ride, they said slightly Emira will be ever so slightly softer but very very similar.

They made it very clear that the blue car is a 1 million pound one off 'model' prototype and there were a few subtle differences. I queried ride height and they confirmed 15-20mm lower. Spacers wise, they said the production Emira's wheel's offsets are more aggressive than the blue car, so it should sit very similar stance wise.

Tuning - they wouldn't confirm if it would be an official option, but when talking to two of the engineers they were going on about the tuning packages for Evoras and how they would still work, and that the Emira with 450+ bhp will be more like a supercar and were telling me to start looking into the Komotec options:) Tempting!!

Other things I learned:

First Edition V6, we know the price, we know it's the first one.
First Edition i4 price however, we all ASSUME to be a lot cheaper right? Well, they straight up told me the price will be VERY similar.
Base Editions when the time comes..... at 60k - pick your engine - same price more or less.
Now I don't know if I 100% believe this, but it's what they said!

The blue looks better in the pictures I thought. It's slightly flatter in real life. I'm sticking with my yellow plan.

Calipers yellow is different from the yellow of the car... might rethink my caliper colour now!

Car has awesome presence, lines in down the side you just don't see the extremeness of the curves in pics, sooooo damn good looking.

Interior quality is not as good as a Porsche GT4 (or any cayman). But they kept stating it's a one of prototype and the production vehicles will be better. The seats have the bolsters stuck on their widest settings - so, um, I didn't touch the sides at all :D i.e. fat person can sit in it. Obviously the production seats will be adjustable.

Speedo display is stuck on mega high washed out brightness. That's obviously a fault, makes it look cheap. But production will be better.

Way more storage than I expected, glove box is big, and plenty of room behind the seats and the 'boot' behind the engine. Front does not open at all - zero front storage like a porsche.

I took tons of pics... I've posted some and videos on my instagram stories (also saved as a highlight) - link in sig below.

Soldato
So tempted to put in an order for a v6 one but I park my car on the road and although its very fast, it’s still a German taxi and therefore rather nondescript whereas this sort of car would get unwanted attention I think and don’t want the risk, such a shame as the car is stunning and very affordable. (appreciate affordability is debatable before anyone starts)

Last edited:
Soldato
So tempted to put in an order for a v6 one but I park my car on the road and although its very fast, it’s still a German taxi and therefore rather nondescript whereas this sort of car would get unwanted attention I think and don’t want the risk, such a shame as the car is stunning and very affordable. (appreciate affordability is debatable before anyone starts)

Yea they get attention, even the Elise does. People are used to seeing Porsches everywhere so they blend in to the background, not so much with a Lotus. People take photos and look inside.

Soldato
Yea they get attention, even the Elise does. People are used to seeing Porsches everywhere so they blend in to the background, not so much with a Lotus. People take photos and look inside.

I was thinking more of idiots thinking it’s a far more expensive a sports car than it really is and damaging it as a result

OcUK Staff
Lots of info today after the viewing - really well presented with a few speeches and videos, then the car reveal and plenty of time to play about with it while talking to the designers and engineering team.

@Gibbo to answer some of your questions that I asked the guys:

Finance - they kept saying they couldn't discuss this as it's not finalised but will be in a matter of weeks.

Steering Wheel - They expected manual to be very few, so as it stands just now it's plain black leather or plain black alcantara only, but it seems a LOT of us have raised this with Lotus. The dealer actually said told me that if Lotus themselves don't offer the option to manual buyers, that they will try to sort it out for a few quid and have it fitted prior to collection, which is rather convenient!

Evora ride, they said slightly Emira will be ever so slightly softer but very very similar.

They made it very clear that the blue car is a 1 million pound one off 'model' prototype and there were a few subtle differences. I queried ride height and they confirmed 15-20mm lower. Spacers wise, they said the production Emira's wheel's offsets are more aggressive than the blue car, so it should sit very similar stance wise.

Tuning - they wouldn't confirm if it would be an official option, but when talking to two of the engineers they were going on about the tuning packages for Evoras and how they would still work, and that the Emira with 450+ bhp will be more like a supercar and were telling me to start looking into the Komotec options:) Tempting!!

Other things I learned:

First Edition V6, we know the price, we know it's the first one.
First Edition i4 price however, we all ASSUME to be a lot cheaper right? Well, they straight up told me the price will be VERY similar.
Base Editions when the time comes..... at 60k - pick your engine - same price more or less.
Now I don't know if I 100% believe this, but it's what they said!

The blue looks better in the pictures I thought. It's slightly flatter in real life. I'm sticking with my yellow plan.

Calipers yellow is different from the yellow of the car... might rethink my caliper colour now!

Car has awesome presence, lines in down the side you just don't see the extremeness of the curves in pics, sooooo damn good looking.

Interior quality is not as good as a Porsche GT4 (or any cayman). But they kept stating it's a one of prototype and the production vehicles will be better. The seats have the bolsters stuck on their widest settings - so, um, I didn't touch the sides at all :D i.e. fat person can sit in it. Obviously the production seats will be adjustable.

Speedo display is stuck on mega high washed out brightness. That's obviously a fault, makes it look cheap. But production will be better.

Way more storage than I expected, glove box is big, and plenty of room behind the seats and the 'boot' behind the engine. Front does not open at all - zero front storage like a porsche.

I took tons of pics... I've posted some and videos on my instagram stories (also saved as a highlight) - link in sig below.

Thank you.

Well certainly some mixed messages Lotus told me Emira be slightly harder than equivalent Evora due to 20” wheel upfront. Basically it’s about the same judging by responses which means for me it’s sports pack and cup tyres.

Think I’ll just get the leather wheel and save £400 then maybe retrim at a later date. If a base V6 is gonna be closed to 60k then I’ll most likely flip mine after a few months and order a base V6 in the exact colour I want, orange and along with hopefully some different seats as hoping they will offer some buckets once the options open up more. Of course if it don’t blow me away then I’ll probably just sell it and maybe grab an Exige or just buy a GT3.

Back
Top Bottom