US: lucifer

Soldato
They'd already filmed the ending before knowing they were getting cancelled, Tom Ellis posted earlier today that the #savelucifer has been heard and Warner Bros are looking into options now.

Caporegime
I must say, i like the show and all, but they really need to stop doing this 90s filler crap that bores the hell out of me and does nothing for the characters in reality.

It's not super surprising to me it was canned.

Associate
Whelp I wasn't gonna bother with the last couple of episodes now, but youtube strikes again with spoilerly video titles and if that's the cliffhanger then yeah. I'd really rather not see it and be left hanging.

Sgarrista
Commissario
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

How can they leave it on such a cliffhanger! FFS!!!!

Caporegime
TBH with that ending I can't really see where they could take a 4th season.

To be fair, theres still a lot of biblical myth that hasn't been touched, so theres always material, but yeah... i can only imagine they'd take it in a direction I wouldn't particularly enjoy.

Why the hell is script development so contingent on the outside world, the script should be completely exclusive of what's going on in management, I mean if the director/writer chose to make that the cliffhanger purely to "save" the show, it's really annoying.

Caporegime
I really didn’t realise that was Tom Welling until reading this thread!

If the show has to die then I think that ending was as good a time as any, it’s both a cliffhanger and a wrap up in many ways. She finally finds out, which wraps up one of the last major threads in the show. Hopefully Amazon pick it up though, I really enjoyed it, filler episodes and all. There was some slow burn but everything was woven nicely IMO.

The whole “something miraculous happens so she doesn’t find out who Lucifer really is” thing can get as tedious as the will they won't they love triangle that so many shows get sucked down.

That said there’s plenty of ways the show can go if there is ever a next season. Whether the cliched option that she ends up thinking she’s daydreaming/hallucinating after a traumatic ordeal, or their complex relationship as she comes to terms with the fact there’s a much darker side of him than she ever wanted to admit, but she sees the “good in him”, amongst others. Still plenty of options that weave the rest of the cast in (like living with an actual demon and Linda knowing all along).

Associate
It won't happen, but a change of network post renewal would be a great time to really dive into the mythological stuff, introduce the Endless (Neil Gaiman cameo as Dream?) and pull back on the procedural stuff.

Do a reversal of the comics where instead of Lucifer spinning off from Sandman you use Lucifer to do it the other way. Or at the very least get Tom Ellis for some LoT shots opposite Constantine.

Man of Honour
Why the hell is script development so contingent on the outside world, the script should be completely exclusive of what's going on in management, I mean if the director/writer chose to make that the cliffhanger purely to "save" the show, it's really annoying.

Don't think it was purely to save the show - one of them said on twitter they were pretty confident that the show would be renewed despite knowing that it was a "bubble show" and could go either way and the cliff hanger was just an extra nudge to help it over the line on the decision to renew so to speak.

That said there’s plenty of ways the show can go if there is ever a next season. Whether the cliched option that she ends up thinking she’s daydreaming/hallucinating after a traumatic ordeal, or their complex relationship as she comes to terms with the fact there’s a much darker side of him than she ever wanted to admit, but she sees the “good in him”, amongst others. Still plenty of options that weave the rest of the cast in (like living with an actual demon and Linda knowing all along).

There is still the whole thing as well as to why Chloe has the effect on Lucifer she does in terms of making him vulnerable - there is a bit of an attempt to explain it in the episode but it doesn't really fully cover it.

Soldato
There is still the whole thing as well as to why Chloe has the effect on Lucifer she does in terms of making him vulnerable - there is a bit of an attempt to explain it in the episode but it doesn't really fully cover it.

I think it is just an extension of his emotional vulnerability towards her morphing into physical vulnerability, it's explained with the whole "we choose our making" vs "Gods meddling" arc. Chloe does not make Lucifer vulnerable, Lucifer makes himself vulnerable around her

and seriously... fk those writers for that ending, show better get bought up by another network

Man of Honour
I think it is just an extension of his emotional vulnerability towards her morphing into physical vulnerability, it's explained with the whole "we choose our making" vs "Gods meddling" arc. Chloe does not make Lucifer vulnerable, Lucifer makes himself vulnerable around her

and seriously... fk those writers for that ending, show better get bought up by another network

He has that vulnerability around her pretty much from the go though IIRC before he even knows her (not that it couldn't be simply an oversight in the writing) and there is the whole deal with what Amenadiel was sent to do before Lucifer arrived, etc. much of the show hints at it being more than just the explanation in the finale.

Soldato
I agree, the ending was actually quite a fitting ending for the show as a whole I think. I'd love for there to be more as when it's at its best it was an entertaining show.

He has that vulnerability around her pretty much from the go though IIRC before he even knows her (not that it couldn't be simply an oversight in the writing) and there is the whole deal with what Amenadiel was sent to do before Lucifer arrived, etc. much of the show hints at it being more than just the explanation in the finale.

I can't remember when he figures out he is vulnerable but certainly in the first episode he didn't appear to be as he got shot by the music producer and doesn't appear to have been hurt.

Man of Honour
I can't remember when he figures out he is vulnerable but certainly in the first episode he didn't appear to be as he got shot by the music producer and doesn't appear to have been hurt.

Assuming you mean the opening bit with the girl IIRC Chloe isn't around then and she only makes him vulnerable by proximity.

Soldato
Assuming you mean the opening bit with the girl IIRC Chloe isn't around then and she only makes him vulnerable by proximity.

That episode but at the end, Lucifer and Chloe confront him at the studio. The producer shoots Chloe and then shoots Lucifer several times.

Edit: From memory, at the beginning when the singer is shot, Lucifer sort if wakes up with a deep breath. Which is more similar to after he gets revived when Malcolm shoots him than other times when he shrugs the shots off. Which by his actions of trying to get her clean etc. it could be said he cares for her. So it could be that being around anyone he cares about makes him vulnerable. Which is why, at the episode, he was his normal immortal self as he didn’t know Chloe that well.

Last edited:
Soldato
Finally watched the finale, been putting it off knowing it could potentially be the last episode ever, if they had done season 3 more like episode 23/24 I think people would have been happier with the series in general, it had a tone shift and felt more like Lucifer than a teen romance drama.

Tom Ellis acting in the last 10 minutes was some of the best he's done and it's a shame that the role could be gone.

I hope it does get picked up for another season even if it's the last one just to finish everything up.

Associate
Last edited:
Soldato
Wouldn't make sense for them not to air them as they have the distribution rights.

Hopefully someone picks this up but streamlines it down to 12-14 episodes a season with a tone shift.

Associate
I would love it if they linked it more to The Sandman. I enjoyed reading the Mike Carey Lucifer series (and it was nice in a series one episode that they had a character named Mike Carey), but as the Lucifer TV series starts with him leaving hell to work in Lux from The Sandman, it seems like that could follow on with more.
I have to admit that I was hoping "The Sinnerman" would turn out to be the Corinthian, but I still enjoyed what they did in the series.

Back
Top Bottom