Luke Cage - Netflix September 30th

Man of Honour
Goes pretty mental in the first episode - but at the same time the pacing is really slow boiling so far - not really my thing so I'd rather it was faster paced but those into this kind of show will probably like it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Up to episode 6, enjoying it so far! Just reading all about the comics, Jones and cage are married with a kid, I wonder if we will see Jones in luke cage?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Up to 8 and it's kind of falling off for me. The 'bad guys' are pretty boring compared to JJ and DD. I like Luke and Claire is great as always but I feel when the series should be reaching fever pitch it's just kind of stalled.

Soldato
Only 3 episodes in and I can feel it's not as good as JJ and DD. It should be darker like DD imo. None the less that only lessen it ever so slightly, still a decent watch.

Permabanned
Binged the whole thing last night and today. It was OK but not anywhere near as good as Daredevil, the plot just wasn't very interesting and as mentioned above the bad guys weren't interesting at all. I get that they wanted to give him his own show before The Defenders but it felt a bit unnecessary.

Hopefully Iron Fist is better and at least The Punisher should be good.

Soldato
Currently on esp 9 and to be honest it's just OK. I find myself skipping the odd time which is never a good sign.

No real action and what seems to be a lot of talking.

Caporegime
So many parts where I think along the lines of, just speak in full sentences and finish it now, or a stupid fight where he lets someone walk off.

The whole thing with, I'm bad on all the names, the councilwoman supplying guns, guns which only Diamondback has. Several people knew Diamondback had these bullets, then the councilwoman was supplying them to the police.

No one asks where the **** a councilwoman gets a supply or hook up for freak killing bullets, and when Diamondback has them also... no one puts 1 + 1 together.

The police conveniently don't do their job at basically any point in the entire show. There is zero police following a chain of evidence to put any of them behind bars.

Shades was allowed to walk out, he wasn't bailed, to be bailed out you go through court to have a bail set. There were dozens of witnesses that Diamondback, Shades and their gang were both operating throughout the council woman's rally in her club, meaning they work with her. What judge would grant bail, at least anything at less than multiple millions, for a guy or any guys involved in firing into a crowd of people who also murdered the council dude and shot a cop?

Also the part where Cottonmouth says, I own you know, because I could put you in jail with this evidence. While he was at the time wanted by the police under his current name and either way they had no ability to actually take him in. What threat was releasing his real name, also while he was out how come he wasn't trying to prove his overall innocence or expose the prison for what they were doing. He could write anonymous letters to DA's and the like to get them to investigate the prison.

and the god damned, I'm going to smash this computer... where it's saved, because he didn't just make the effort to pound the hard drive or take it with him.

So many frustrating moments where he's just so damn stupid. Hell he went after Zip, caught him with guns, caught him all over. How about grab him, knock him out, call the police and they come and find him with a bunch of illegal guns with his prints all over them. He and the police were so damn incompetent.

He's kinda cool, he's a decent actor and he looks perfect for the role. The main cop acting wise was good but she was dumb as hell. Pops was great (as he was in Banshee). It just didn't quite work for me, the plot was too stupid, had he done anything sensibly he'd have had them wrapped up in a bow for the police with unmistakeable and unbeatable evidence within a couple days, it was a show that strictly relied on utterly stupid decisions by almost everyone to proceed.

Last edited:
Soldato
The musicians in this were excellent. The club scenes were my favourite bit..

Especially like this one.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just finished all 13 episodes, enjoyed it, yet another brilliant Netflix original, other producers should really get some tips.

Though cottonmouth was my favorite character.

Associate
Watched the whole season in less than 24 hours - I love the Netflix Marvel stuff and i think this was possibly my favourite yet.

I can't wait to see how the team up comes about.

Soldato
Sweet christmas, this wasn't that good. But I was never interested in Luke Cage as a superh hero, mucho boring power. I rate JJ over this, the story and villains just didn't work for me. It felt very long winded.

Soldato
Watched it all. Pretty good with some episodes standing quite a bit above others in my opinion. It was slow starting but understandable groundwork being set up, at its strongest ep 4-8 and lagged towards the end. I felt the same re JJ and Daredevil that possibly a 10 ep season would be better. One area Luke Cage disappointed that the others didn't was in the villain/s which left no lasting impression. Kingpin/Punisher and The Purple Man truly elevated the shows particulary in JJ case as I found JJ a bit dull and the show was much better when David Tennant was on screen.

I found it a bit harder to get into the setting. I live in England but have been to New York so DD and JJ were 'somewhat' relatable but I did find Luke Cage less so due to it having quite a few current political themes running through it and the whole Harlem/Gangster setting which i'm not as keen on in films/TV in general.

For me DD S01 > DD S02 >> Luke Cage > JJ with JJ and LC being closer around a 7 with DD being an 8/9.

One thing a friend and I noticed was LC odd John Wayne walk, anyone else? :p

Back
Top Bottom