Luke Cage - Netflix September 30th

Guy

Guy

Associate
I felt like the first 6 episodes where pretty good, not up there with DD or JJ, but still good. Last half was rubbish, I was just watching it to get it over and finished. It was not a strong finish at all and missed a chance at a cameo, which would have made it slightly better. Such a shame, thought LC was great in JJ.

Soldato
I settled down to watch three episodes last night but fell asleep during episode one :(
Had to rewind the last ten mins which were ok.
Not sure if I was just too tired or if it was a bit boring, will give episode 2 a chance tonight.

I'm surprised not many here enjoyed JJ, I thought it was really good with David Tennant stealing every scene he was in.

I get that they're going for the more superhero based in total realism kind of vibe but sometimes that can be a bit boring especially when the villains don't seem well matched to the hero, which from episode one Cottonmouth doesn't seem like he had any super powers... I could be wrong though.

Caporegime
I binged this at the weekend and while overall I enjoyed it, especially during the first half of the season, it was definitely nowhere near as strong as DD or JJ in terms of story and gravitas.

Luke Cage is also a bit one-dimensional and lacking in charisma... even when he gave one of his "key speeches" it feels like it was really missing something. He's just not a particularly gifted or versatile actor imo. Cottonmouth was excellently acted and it was a shame he went out the way he did, to be "replaced" with his slightly rubbish and also irritatingly acted cousin Councilwoman Mariah Dillar.

Also, I really didn't like Diamondback, he was just annoying in his manner and motivations, his scenes really hurt my immersion, and for me his whole persona didn't really fit. The big fight at the end was also horrendously choreographed and looked like something from 20 years ago. It completely lacked any superhero feel to it.

Overall I would give it a 7/10... well worth a watch, but nothing 'special'.

Last edited:
PayDay Lover
Associate
I binged this at the weekend and while overall I enjoyed it, especially during the first half of the season, it was definitely nowhere near as strong as DD or JJ in terms of story and gravitas.

Luke Cage is also a bit one-dimensional and lacking in charisma... even when he gave one of his "key speeches" it feels like it was really missing something. He's just not a particularly gifted or versatile actor imo. Cottonmouth was excellently acted and it was a shame he went out the way he did, to be "replaced" with his slightly rubbish and also irritatingly acted cousin Councilwoman Mariah Dillar.

Also, I really didn't like Diamondback, he was just annoying in his manner and motivations, his scenes really hurt my immersion, and for me his whole persona didn't really fit. The big fight at the end was also horrendously choreographed and looked like something from 20 years ago. It completely lacked any superhero feel to it.

Overall I would give it a 7/10... well worth a watch, but nothing 'special'.

I've not watched it yet, but the issue you mentioned is the impression I got when he was in JJ so can't say I was overly excited when I heard this was coming (probably why I have not yet started watching either).

I can't help but feel like these seasons are filler while waiting for the next DD or The Defenders. The only thing JJ had going for it was Tennant, not sure if he was great as he stole every scene or if it was simply because the show was so dull when he was not around that it was easy to steal the scenes.

Sounds like LC may have bigger issues with a not so impressive bad guy and a potentially bland hero

Caporegime
Finished it last night, nowhere near as good as JJ or DD for me. Fell off completely half way through. Cottonmouth was ok but the rest of the enemies were just terrible. The final fight was almost embarrassingly bad.

Caporegime
I've not watched it yet, but the issue you mentioned is the impression I got when he was in JJ so can't say I was overly excited when I heard this was coming (probably why I have not yet started watching either).

I can't help but feel like these seasons are filler while waiting for the next DD or The Defenders. The only thing JJ had going for it was Tennant, not sure if he was great as he stole every scene or if it was simply because the show was so dull when he was not around that it was easy to steal the scenes.

Sounds like LC may have bigger issues with a not so impressive bad guy and a potentially bland hero

I loved JJ, even when there wasn't that much going on. It felt believable, like an everyday woman struggling to come to terms with the depression of being a superhero who has fallen from grace. Who tried to be someone she didn't feel she was. It didn't feel cheesy or contrived like Luke Cage did.

Tennant was a stand-out performance, probably for me the best of his highly respectable career.

Soldato
Well, I'm nearly finished and frankly not that bothered about getting to the end. There was way to much talking and political filler that it just didn't need. Not nearly enough of his ability and it wasn't gritty enough, and Cotton mouth and Diamondback were not convincingly scary. The fight scene at the end was just awful. The suit and the low battery noise on his backpack. It was just rubbish, too cheese.
It felt like the opening credits to a detective show like Shaft or something.

Still watchable, glad it came out as a whole series as I would have definitely lost interest weekly. Weakest of the 3, basically in order of their release for me.

Ps. Diamondback is the worst villian name of all time.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm quite enjoying it, though I think it is the weakest of the marvel series so far. At episode 5...though I did let out a sigh when I saw super nurse was in the episode. I think Cottenmouth seems like a good villain.

Also, I think it is this that made me realise how tired I am of origin stories. When I saw episode 4 was an origin episode I just skipped most of it tbh.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I'm quite enjoying it, though I think it is the weakest of the marvel series so far. At episode 5...though I did let out a sigh when I saw super nurse was in the episode. I think Cottenmouth seems like a good villain.

Also, I think it is this that made me realise how tired I am of origin stories. When I saw episode 4 was an origin episode I just skipped most of it tbh.

Ahh come on man, you shouldn't skip any of that stuff!

Soldato
I just couldn't be bothered tbh. He didn't have powers, now he does. That's all I need to know. The story was going along fine, don't like it when they break it up like that. I skimmed the episode and know all of the things I need to. I will as far more interested in finding out what was actually happening in the present!

I'm just tired of origin stories.

Associate
Sadly I found this disappointing. I'm not sure this character/actor is really suited to headline a show. He's just not very compelling. The first 3 episodes in particular I found a real struggle. They invested too much screen time into developing the location and not enough into moving the plot along.

Associate
Massively disappointed with this. Watched the first 6 or 7 episodes and it could have been condensed into a single episode.
To say its slow is an understatement and I haven't managed to watch an entire episode without getting bored and mucking about on my phone or going to the kitchen for a coffee and back.

Soldato
Finally got round to watching the last three EP's last night, and while i enjoyed most of it, some bits looked pretty poor, the fight scenes for instance looked really amateur, almost like drama school acting.

And his stupid tag line " Sweet Christmas" really annoyed me.

Hopefully the acting for the fights will step up for season 2.

Back
Top Bottom