Malaysian GP 2009 - Race 2/17

On the subject of the McLaren; from what I've read the car is well balanced, there is just a general lack of downforce.

Lack of downfore + rain = bad.

Also on the subject of KERs, the cars recharging stage gives you more braking force from the rear and when its fully recharged it stops this braking whether that be just before the turning point of earlier and IIRC the teams aren't allowed a very complex control system on the recharging.

I think cars running it will be very twitchy braking in the wet and I will definitely not be surpised to see Massa have the back come loose under braking.

Having good aero is more important in the dry than wet. The reason that high DF is good in the wet is because the speeds are reduce thus the drag is reduced as drag increases with the square of the speed.

I wouldn't be surprised to see KERS removed this weekend if it's going to be wet. Not only will it be much less effect in the wet, if any use, but it's rear weight will probably cause oversteer which is the last thing that any driver wants in the wet.

I have no idea how this "stuck up" image has come about?! He always seems very courteous and polite in his interviews. Comes across as a decent and mature bloke (even at his young age!).

WRT him not being among "the greats" - I think that's a very short-sighted view. He almost clinched the title in his rookie year for Pete's sake! Denying him that "legend" status may be technically fair, but imho the only thing that sets him apart from Schumacher, Senna, Prost etc. is TIME!

My £0.02...

Suman

Might have something to do with calling the drivers in slower cars monkeys after ~5 races in F1. Or maybe boasting about how he knows how to find extra grip in the wet that nobody else knows about before monza last year when he was about 5s off the pace in the wet qualifying ;)

All F1 drivers are conceited, especially the best. Hamilton has a lot of polish as Mclaren have been grooming him for years but his arrogant sneaks true every now and then. Still looks like the most complete driver on the grid and more and more like Schmacher MKII.

Nice article. Just can't ignore the April Fools' posts though. :D

I wouldn't be surprised to see KERS removed this weekend if it's going to be wet. Not only will it be much less effect in the wet, if any use, but it's rear weight will probably cause oversteer which is the last thing that any driver wants in the wet.
Ejector buttons for KERS system to be introduced in 2010? You heard it here first! :cool:

yipeeeeeeeee more socialable times, means i can watch the race this week without being at qwork. I hope the brawn team do as well this week but like posted before i think the KERS cars will have an advantage this week .

Roll on the qualifying

Okay, let me see... predictions for malaysia...

Brawn GP - Button is a proven wet driver, tending to perform well so long as the car is beneath him, same can be said for Barichello who has consistently performed well in the wet. With only one race under them, we cannot say much for the car, but early indications are, that it will still handle better than many others, due to the extended development time they had.

Ferarri - Sorry guys, the walls beckon, ferarri's just dont work in the rain (something about the paint I am sure *lets see who gets that reference*)

McLaren - Previous years have shown good wet performance, Hamilton again is a very accomplished driver in the rain, however the car is likely to give cause for hesitation and without the confidence to take the lines, I dont see this weekend being good.

Vettel - I dont think has enough wet experience to prove a viable risk to BrawnGP

As for everyone else, I'm not thinking about them too much at the moment..

Has anybody discovered what will happen, if, due to engine failures/accidents, a team uses their maximum 8 engines per season, before the end of the year? Will we see drivers dropping out as the year goes on?

Last edited:
ive just noticed they put 2 classic malaysian GP races on the bbc f1 website , 1999 and 2008

dont think it was mentioned in this thread so guess they aew new additions

This isn't looking good. Heavy thunderstorms predicted. What happens to the race then if it's heavy thunderstorms before the race. Would they start behind the safety car and just follow it for 1hour before calling it off?

This isn't looking good. Heavy thunderstorms predicted. What happens to the race then if it's heavy thunderstorms before the race. Would they start behind the safety car and just follow it for 1hour before calling it off?

Well, from what I remember, if its a really wet start, they will start behind the safety car, then depending on conditions it will move in after a few laps.

If its deemed too dangerous at that point, they will come back in, and have a delayed re-start with the number of laps completed deducted from the race length. If the weather does not improve, red flags, and race cancelled?

Am i right?

what happens if the race is cancelled. do they just skip it so in effect we have a 16 race season? I assume his would be the case.

what happens if the race is cancelled. do they just skip it so in effect we have a 16 race season? I assume his would be the case.

I think if they get any laps in at all before it's cancelled*, half points are awarded. Not sure what they'd do if they didn't even get started.

***edit***

* - And if they complete more than half the race, full points are awarded.

doubt it would be much worse than this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzZVknP1iW0&feature=related watch at 5:14 lol

they handled it in 91 surely todays cars have more downforce even as gimped as they are

moonsoon conditions ***! :D
(track gets more waterlogged each lap btw)

Last edited:
So, Trulli back up to third. Toyota International Assistance?

Yeah, that joke's wearing a bit thin isn't it? Ah well. I shall brace myself for sunama's incredibly insightful and witty post where he claims that this is a FIA plot to help Ferrari win this years titles. I'll also state right now that Hamilton's DQ is a complete joke, and look forward to sunama completely missing me typing that.

:(

Wait, what?

So is Hamilton fourth or DQ?

If they disqualify him then it is completely retarded. He drove a good race to get to fourth, the person infront makes a mistake, he takes the position under safety car conditions so passes the place back...

Rage is building... need more information...

when it comes down to it they only got thereselves to blame for that one!
oh dear i hope this isnt marking the tone of this season so early, all this chopping and changing positions after the race has finished is just ridiculous, in my opinion trulli should never have been given the penalty he was, he made a mistake, got back, on the place was handed back, it was mclarens mistake for handing back the place, and it should have stopped there, i dont see the massive deal in the whole situation.
should have been left at that. its better for the viewers in my opinion at least.
oh well hardly suprising though.

grumble grumble grumble

Back
Top Bottom