Malazan Book of the Fallen: Is it worth it?

Associate
I thought the House of Chains (the one with Karsa Orlong) was about the best of them. I found bits of some of them to be quite hard work, but made it to the end and read the supplementary novels by Ian C. Esslemont. Lots of characters turn up that make you think 'Ah, I wondered what had happened to him'

Associate
I read the first two but couldn't really get into them so stopped there. The universe is awesome and very original but they were long books in which not a lot happened, imo! :)

Soldato
I'm reading these now. About 3/4 through the house of chains. (book 4?)

The scope is pretty large, and book 1 makes no apology in dumping you into a world with a complex political structure and varied characters who all seem fairly disparate to begin with.

I have found loosing touch with some of the characters introduced in book 1 annoying, only to be rewarded with their reappearance later on as the story progresses through a changing continental power struggle.

Then there's the all of the stuff that happens in the past - the t'lan imass for example, how they came to be; all of these complex threads that seem to have no relation to eachother, and yet I constantly have those 'light bulb' moments when some later plot detail ties into a previous event where a juicy barb, designed to make you think 'wtf that all about, and why u leave me hanging?', is resolved, or at the least allows you a glimpse of something greater yet to be revealed.

There's plenty of humour, well rounded characters and motivations, epic heroism and appalling tragedy. Many of the incidental players serve to flesh out the main characters lives and sometimes evolve into significant players in their own right. The detail of the history of 'supernatural' side of things is vague, but in the same way the bermuda triangle is vague and full of tantalising mysteries, where you only know enough to perpetuate your curiosity.

So far, I love it. Without any spoilers, I was surprised at how some of the characters were killed off; especially if they are likeable and worthy of their storyline. And yet I can see why they had to go. I suppose it's a clue as to the strength of the characterisation that the reader feels empathy for them and sorrow at their demise, almost as though you share the world created with the other characters left behind.
There might not be any greater truth or moral to be espoused by such books, but their ability to draw you in, admittedly with some patience on your part, is as rewarding as it is enjoyable.

If you've ever read the chronicles of thomas covenant, then you have some idea of the scope of time lines that these books seem to encompass.

Amazon will soon have another order from me for the rest of the series.

Your comment regarding generating empathy, perhaps the best example of this happening is still of Hounds (around book 8 or 9) without any spoilers he introduces a raft of characters in this book who he keeps touching upon with a paragraph every so often to give their perspective. By the end with very little work (in terms of words) but some concise writing I really cared what happened to some very minor characters. Great writing.

Caporegime
I thought the House of Chains (the one with Karsa Orlong) was about the best of them. I found bits of some of them to be quite hard work, but made it to the end and read the supplementary novels by Ian C. Esslemont. Lots of characters turn up that make you think 'Ah, I wondered what had happened to him'

Deadhouse Gates for me. The Chain of Dogs. Coltaine :cool:

Soldato
Currently (still) reading this series.

They are good have epic potential but I find that they don't really deliver.

I'm about 6 books in now. They are extremely hard going.

Big chunky books, big chunky chapters. I find it so complicated all the interlinking story lines that span multiple books.

Is it worth it. Well I'm still going....

----

As an example in the first book Anomander Rake sounded like one cool dude. Yet, as far as I remember he is only in the first book.

And the first book is all about the 'Master of the Deck' I only now 6 books in have a vague understand of what this is. (Absolutely no idea! :p)

---

Current favourite character is Karsa Orlong!

Last edited:
Soldato
Slight spoiler in the section below, don't read if you haven't read the books!!

Whiskey Jack was my favourite character and I thought he was going to be central to whatever the Author was winding his way towards. It's the first time that a character been killed off made me mad!! :) Mainly Because it meant that I got the books all wrong and had to rethink what the hell was happening. Such a central figure that turns out to be insignificant.

Kruppe is another one of my favourite characters.

Soldato
I have so much to read but I'm tempted to start a re-read after this thread.

Especially with the start of the new prequel empire trilogy next year (based around early days Surly, Whiskeyjack, Dancer, Cotillon and the rest) and the second of the Tiste prequels out, both in April. I just want the Tiste trilogy finished as he has promised to write a Karsa Orlong trilogy set after the events of The Crippled God. WITNESS!!!

Soldato
Wait there is a prequel trilogy coming?!

That'll be awesome, I wish we had a bit more about the rise of the empire. More backstory on Dassem really wouldn't go amiss either, quite possibly my favourite of the mysterious characters in the story.

I've not bothered with the Tiste stuff, if there was one thing I could cut out from the books it would probably be a lot of their backstory as I found it hard to care about them. Aside from Trull Sengar of course, who was awesome.

And more Karsa, hnnnnnggggg.

I managed to introduce one of the girls in the office to this series, she read all the Eriksen books back to back in the space in 6 weeks. She reads like a machine though.

Of the Esslemont books I've only ever read Night of Knives, as the resident expect on all things Malazan, would you say they're worth a read Newts? I've noticed you've been quite critical of some of the individual novels.

Soldato
I have so much to read but I'm tempted to start a re-read after this thread.

Especially with the start of the new prequel empire trilogy next year (based around early days Surly, Whiskeyjack, Dancer, Cotillon and the rest) and the second of the Tiste prequels out, both in April. I just want the Tiste trilogy finished as he has promised to write a Karsa Orlong trilogy set after the events of The Crippled God. WITNESS!!!

Brilliant :) Would like to read more about Whiskeyjack and Surly. I am in agreement with Rids, not too worried about the Tiste even though Trull was pretty cool :cool:

But, yeah a re-read is a must for me before I these are released.

Soldato
I managed to introduce one of the girls in the office to this series, she read all the Eriksen books back to back in the space in 6 weeks. She reads like a machine though.

I read like that. I think I would prefer to be a slower reader, it would save me a lot of money :p:D

Soldato
Wait there is a prequel trilogy coming?!

That'll be awesome, I wish we had a bit more about the rise of the empire. More backstory on Dassem really wouldn't go amiss either, quite possibly my favourite of the mysterious characters in the story.

I've not bothered with the Tiste stuff, if there was one thing I could cut out from the books it would probably be a lot of their backstory as I found it hard to care about them. Aside from Trull Sengar of course, who was awesome.

And more Karsa, hnnnnnggggg.

Of the Esslemont books I've only ever read Night of Knives, as the resident expect on all things Malazan, would you say they're worth a read Newts? I've noticed you've been quite critical of some of the individual novels.

I think the Esselmomt stuff taking in isolation and as books in themselves are quite poor to outright bad (yes I'm talking about you Assail!!!!) but they fill in a lot of blanks in the series and expand on a lot of the stories/characters so they are must reads if you really want to know what is going on. Covers basically the whole Crimson Guard story as well which was fascinating stuff, the reveal at the end of the arc alone is worth reading his books. Definitely read, Esselmont himself is a good author but he's different to Erikson (more direct and lacks the finer intricacy) but you inevitably compare him with Erikson as it is his universe and in those stakes he comes up short.

Regarding the prequel it's actually written by Esselmont again cause, details are thin at the moment but from what I gather it's all Imperial backstory from the days back on Malaz Isle in the bar and the overthrowing of Mock right through to ascendancy so backstory wise you should have everything from Dancer to Daseem and hopefully Tay and even Nightchill, not forgetting Whiskeyjack.

The Tiste prequel is pretty interesting, seeing the truth behind legend and stories throwing up some interesting angles on things, plus the backstory of Hood :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Just remember that he's an anthropologist and a blinking cynic so you'll find a lot of the stuff you believe is right from the series is challenged, it's strange but makes sense knowing Eriksons mind.

Soldato
I think the Esselmomt stuff taking in isolation and as books in themselves are quite poor to outright bad (yes I'm talking about you Assail!!!!) but they fill in a lot of blanks in the series and expand on a lot of the stories/characters so they are must reads if you really want to know what is going on. Covers basically the whole Crimson Guard story as well which was fascinating stuff, the reveal at the end of the arc alone is worth reading his books. Definitely read, Esselmont himself is a good author but he's different to Erikson (more direct and lacks the finer intricacy) but you inevitably compare him with Erikson as it is his universe and in those stakes he comes up short.

Regarding the prequel it's actually written by Esselmont again cause, details are thin at the moment but from what I gather it's all Imperial backstory from the days back on Malaz Isle in the bar and the overthrowing of Mock right through to ascendancy so backstory wise you should have everything from Dancer to Daseem and hopefully Tay and even Nightchill, not forgetting Whiskeyjack.

The Tiste prequel is pretty interesting, seeing the truth behind legend and stories throwing up some interesting angles on things, plus the backstory of Hood :D

Cheers for that, I'll give them a shot for certain then.

Didn't realise we had some of Hoods backstory in the Tiste book, that probably makes it worth reading just in itself.

So the next question is, do I do a full re-read of the Eriksen books and try and time the Esslemont ones with where they would fit in chronologically, or just go straight for Esslemont. Choices choices!

Soldato
I'm going full re-read and inserting the Esselmont novels after I had finished my current book, looking forward to it :p

Well Hood, I'll spoiler just incase you haven't finished TCG or missed it and want to discover for yourself;

Hood is a Jaghut, was revealed a while back and the tie in between Tiste/Jag whilst never fully explored has always been pretty heavily hinted at through the old Tiste/Jag/T'Lan compact an through other comments. Interesting seeing how it feeds in!

Soldato
Spoilered a question for you.

Does it dive into the Jaghut war on death at all and the circumstances that lead to Hood taking the throne?

Back
Top Bottom