Malazan Book of the Fallen: Is it worth it?

Soldato
I started reading these.

I got up to the 5th novel.

The sheer complexity and the sheer size is daunting.

Havent had the time to get back in to it.

The problem for me was the size of the chapters.

2hours of reading to get through a single chapter means I couldnt find the time.

Im not one to ready half a chapter and save it for the next day.

Also if you have read it, the Game of thrones series is meant to be good.

I know the TV series has started, but it was one of those things I alwasy wanted to read, but didnt get round to it.

I have some other good recommendations for you.

Raymond E Feist: Riftwar Cycle (Magician, Silverthorn, A Darkness at Sethanon)

David Eddings: Both the Belgariad series and the The Malloreon series

Much easier to get in to and enjoy than Books in the Malazan Book of the Fallen or Game of Thrones.

Although Malazan Book of the Fallen or Game of Thrones are more for Adults and try to do things which are non cliche.

But Raymond E Feist & David Eddings are just easier, more enjoyable reads.
Totally agree. Eddings, Feist and Gemmel are fantastic authors - never feels like a chore to read their books which can't be said about Malazan & GoT.

Soldato
I would counter that by saying Gemmel/Eddings/Feist are pretty basic and one dimensional and boring to read.

It's around personal preference and these books ask a lot of you which (unsurprisingly) isn't for everyone.

Soldato
Currently reading The Bonehunters and have recently passed the longest chapter I think I've ever experienced in a book lol.

Soldato
I would counter that by saying Gemmel/Eddings/Feist are pretty basic and one dimensional and boring to read.

It's around personal preference and these books ask a lot of you which (unsurprisingly) isn't for everyone.

They are easy going and very entertaining fantasy I agree but I have the reading maturity of a 14year old so they suit me perfectly :D

Soldato
My take is that they're better as stand alone novels, and the earlier books are better especially 1-5 IMO, I think unless you're a committed total anorak and will read around the books, and research etc you're never going to hold everything in your head.

The basic problem is there's just too much going on, too many threads, too many characters, too little is explained and I think he lost his way a bit somewhere. He set out deliberately to hand hold but he took that too far. There's some really good stuff in the series, some brilliant chapters and really good books, but there's also way too much meandering and switching of focus for it to hold to together as a consistently engrossing tale over 10 books. I initially loved it and i'm now struggling to finish the last two books, when really at this stage the reader should be rabid. Trying to keep track of every characters motives and intentions is really difficult.

He really fired these books out too, and i've read him state he had to produce doorstoppers every time. If the series had been 7-8 books and every book a third shorter, and the scope narrowed down it would have been so much better.

I haven't read the Kharkanas trilogy (2 out so far) i'm hoping that's tighter, but i'm not getting my hopes up.

6.5/10 - A missed opportunity.

Last edited:
Soldato
So, any early feedback on Dancers Lament? Going to pick it up for sure, just not sure if its a drop all my current reading plans and read this now kind of event.

Soldato
I've got 1 chapter left and I have thoroughly enjoyed it.

Best bit for me has been Esselmont giving up (trying and failing) writing like Erikson and has instead stuck to his own skills of good prose and tight narrative/descriptive work.

The fact that he isn't playing so heavily in Eriksons backyard in that he is (mostly) creating as opposed to interpreting has really freed him up and I have really enjoyed it compared to travesties like Assail.

He still his annoying idiosyncrasies around repeating the same phrase again and again which narks but all in all a good book and a good addition to the series. I'll never rate him as highly as Erikson and never forgive some of his brutalising of the main arc but this is a great read.

Also nice to see some strings from the main arc being tidied away and clarified a little. Such as;

Nightchill origins whilst not a huge shock it is good to see some concrete on the theories

I'll post a little more after the last 50 or so pages as I'm expecting some decent stuff to happen.

Soldato
So finished the book. Great read, my main enjoyment came from Esselmont sticking to his strengths and it rewards you with a good read without him trying to emulate Eriksons unique style.

It's not a spoiler saying this book is about Dancer and Ammanas, Ammanas was perfectly pitched and exactly what I was hoping for, Dancer not so much.

Fantastic read and great addition to the series, I'll spoiler my few other points;

the book was actually rather understated and the ending a very soft one and not what I expected, however you look at the title of this arc "path to ascendancy" and an almost perfect last paragraph when Dorin assumes the Dancer moniker then it is actually very well written and an introduction to the two characters as grasping, ambitious youngsters as opposed to the hardened ascendets they later become. It works perfectly and be interesting to see where they are next picked up, it will be a shame if it jumps too far and loses the character development opportunities.

Seeing Nightchill, Baudin, Mara, Smokey, Shimmer all in their early days was interesting too.

The interplay between Dorin/Wu was amazing, worked perfectly and the growing grudging respect from complete disdain is a great journey.

Roll on the next instalment and hopefully Surly/Tattersail/Whiskeyjack/Dujek and the rest.

Oh and Daseem is hardcore!

Soldato
And the second book is on offer today, I've never read these but they've been on my radar, not saying no for 99p :)

Soldato
I gave up after the first 2 books(partially read the 3rd). I like character development so the author's tendency to develop characters and then forget about them for 3-4 books is annoying.

Soldato
Fall of the Light, book 2 in the Tiste pre-series is released next Thursday. About to start a re-read of Forge of Darkness to prepare. Blurb below;

Before the Malazan Empire, there was a time that set the stage for all those tales yet to be told...The winter is bitter. Civil war threatens Kurald Galain for the warrior Urusander's army has begun its march on the city of Kharkanas. Led by the ruthless Hunn Raal, it intends to cast aside Mother Dark's consort, Draconus, and set Urusander himself on the throne beside the Living Goddess. Those who would stand in the way of the rebels lie scattered and weakened - leaderless since Anomander went in search of an estranged brother. In his stead, Silchas Ruin resolves to gather the Houseblades of the Highborn families to him, and to resurrect the legendary Hust Legion, but time is not on his side. Far to the west, an unlikely army musters. It seeks an enemy without form, in a place none can find. And yet Hood's call has been heard and the long-abandoned city of Omtose Phellack is now home to a rabble of new arrivals: Dog-Runners from the south, Jheck warriors, and blue-skinned strangers from across the Western Sea have come to offer Hood their swords. From the distant mountains and isolated valleys of the North, Thel Akai arrive to pledge themselves in this seemingly impossible war. Soon, they will set forth with weapons drawn under the banners of the living in pursuit of Death itself. Such events presage chaos, and now magic bleeds into this realm. Unconstrained, mysterious and savage, it begins to run loose and wild and following its scent, seeking the places of wounding and hurt - new and ancient entities gather. In a world becoming rotten with sorcery, can honour truly exist?

Back
Top Bottom