Mallorca protests.

Soldato
I was talking about the Cornwall situation at work and 2 people mentioned how locals are just as guilty, some Airbnb their places in summer and live in a van (next doors son for instance) also money talks and people will gladly accept London money for their homes , old bungalows down the gannel sold for 1 to 2 m are now taking 8k plus a week after a glass box type place has been thrown up in the plot

Caporegime
I was talking about the Cornwall situation at work and 2 people mentioned how locals are just as guilty, some Airbnb their places in summer and live in a van (next doors son for instance) also money talks and people will gladly accept London money for their homes , old bungalows down the gannel sold for 1 to 2 m are now taking 8k plus a week after a glass box type place has been thrown up in the plot
Bit easier to ignore when there's the entire rest of the country to move to.

Impossible for a small island.

Soldato
The problem with this is that like @fez says above. That doesn't benefit the people at ground level who have no-where to live and can't afford the food. It's more difficult on an Island because in places like NY or London, the locals at least have the opportunity to move further out and maintain ties with their families etc and commute in for their jobs from more affordable areas. It's still not ideal and it's a shame anywhere nice ends up only being a habitat of the rich.

Without some kind of action it doesn't matter how many tourists go to the island because there'll be no locals there to work in shops/bars to serve them. You then end up with 2 outcomes

1 - The tourism industry dies. Then the government do what they can to attract people back again when it's too late
2 - You stop things like Air bnb's etc, limit holiday rentals to hotels/apartments and make normal residences available for residents only.
France has a tourist tax charged by hotels, chambres d’hôtes (B ‘n’ Bs) and gites.

It’s between 1-2% of the cost of the room per night and is paid to the Department, not the region or La France.

The Commune (local village council) that the establishment sits in gets a small slice of this as well as a slice of the taxes paid by all business inside of their boundary.

Residents of Lot et Garrone are also paying a few extra Euros every month towards the upgrading of the TGV link between Bordeaux and Agen.

Associate
Good for them all the properties are being bought up by foreigners apparently don't blame the protesters in teh slightest

Fishing, agriculture therss a programme in BBC2 weekdays featuring the fishing community and they have the same woes no properties for locals anymore at least none affordable all gone to wealthy second homers and AirBNB'ers

Fishing ?! - The Cornish fishing Fleet was decimated about 15 years ago. Compared to what it was its just a shadow now.

Soldato
France has a tourist tax charged by hotels, chambres d’hôtes (B ‘n’ Bs) and gites.

It’s between 1-2% of the cost of the room per night and is paid to the Department, not the region or La France.

The Commune (local village council) that the establishment sits in gets a small slice of this as well as a slice of the taxes paid by all business inside of their boundary.

Residents of Lot et Garrone are also paying a few extra Euros every month towards the upgrading of the TGV link between Bordeaux and Agen.

Does that scheme include Airbnb?

Soldato
Anyone been or going?

Just watched on the news and some were walking down the streets spraying people having a drink outside cafes with water guns saying tourists go home!

I can see where they're coming from but what can you do when it's such a desirable tourist destination. I suppose it's the same as what's happened in parts of Cornwall and alike.
I came back from there 3 weeks or so ago. it was fine everyone was friendly. I get it but surely they rely on the tourism. am off again in August to baby brother menorca.

Last edited:
Associate
Does that scheme include Airbnb?
I stayed in an Airbnb in France last year, that the host lived in, and on arrival he told me about the local tourist tax, it was just a few Euro's and dumped into a jar.
Of course, I have no idea if the local department saw any of it :D

Back
Top Bottom