Manchester United: Frustration

Man of Honour
Liefrich said:
Well Howard has already been sold to Everton and Spector has also already gone to West ham on a permanent move.

Saha is a good player in fact he fits our system perfectly and he is a lot better than Smith, I'd feel a lot more confident tonight he if was leading our lines. I'm not going to deny the fact he is way too injury prone but with our lack of strikers there is no real need to sell any of them. I agree that Richardson should be sold, but Fletcher is "ok" in the CM position but alas Fergie plays him on the wing where he is crap. Our defense is fine, we have some young good centre backs with the likes of Evans and Pique.

In the Summer we need a combative midfielder, not a "defensive" one, just someone with a great engine and who will not give up but keep on driving until the end. Carrick is a great passer and he has been a good buy but sometimes watching him in games where its not going well he does not always stamp his authority. Hargreaves would be one good option not only does he have this engine but he seems to easily find his feet in the Champions league. (his performance against AC was really impressive)

Riqulheme is not the answer.

Striker wise, we need someone who has pace is young and who is a good finisher, we do not need a 30 a season predator though as we have so many goals from other areas of the team...Torres would be perfect but whether that happens is another story.

Fair enough although I disagree on some points.

Saha does not work that well with Rooney imho, and Smith hasnt played for nearly 2 years in his favourite position so cant really be compared. I would keep Smith ahead of Saha any day of the week, sure he aint been on firse but he gives us strength, aggression ability to hold up the ball and he can finish if he gets back to his best, IMHO him and Ronney will form a great partnership given time and both being free from injury, In fact Smith pretty much fits the bill you are talking about in the last paragraph if he gets his form back.

I agree we need a combative midfielder, however when I mentioned Riquelhme it was in addition to a combative midfielder not instead of. Even if we signed hargreaves it would mean O'Shea, Carrick, Hargreaves, Scholes. I was thinking Riquelheme to come in as well if we can get him cheap enough.

In terms of the additional Striker as I do believe we would need at least one more other than Rooney / Solskjaer / Smith even if we got Saviola.

The amount of games we play in a season the bigger the squad the better imho. and a squad that included the likes of Saviola / Riquelhme would be better than wthout :)

Man of Honour
Crazy Fool said:
saha ruled out of the roma game :rolleyes: - could have done with him at least on the bench

Big game then and would be a huge chance for Fergie to take but Id like to see Smithy upfront.

Solskjaer is excellent dont get me wrong but in the first leg I thought there defenders won out in the physivcality stakes massively, someone with a bit more fire and presence upfront like Smithy on form would mean it would be a completely different game tonight.

Soldato
[ASSE]Hinchy said:
But boomam had informed these Hargreaves haters that...
Corrected. :p
Im holding onto my moment of glory. :p :D

Tbh, i think United are 2 midfielders and a few good squad players away from a world class team again.
Hargreaves would be one of those midfielders, to play the holding/defensive role. And then someone attacking, but tough, ie; Scholes replacement.
Then a few good young players to replace some of the chaff in the squad, and there you go, United back to their best. Imo of course. :p :)

Caporegime
look at real madrid. okay they havent been all conquering this year but they are certainly building.

did anyone knotice where they spent the lions share of their cash?

DM's.

GAGO
DIARRA

and thats on top of Emerson, and Helguera also play the same position.

now compare that to the line up of Carrick, O'Shea, Fletcher, and our midfield looks absolutely WOEFUL in the ball winning department.

if it wasnt for the fact that ronaldo has been on fire earlier on in the campaign we would not be where we are now.

Man of Honour
Nickg said:
if it wasnt for the fact that ronaldo has been on fire earlier on in the campaign we would not be where we are now.

Totally agree, Without Ronaldo we would have been struggling to finish in the top 3.

I still think Mascherano / Tevez would have been good signings as well for this season as they were offered I beieve on loan for the year same as at west ham.

I have only seen Mascherano play once or twice for Liverpool but he does look the part.

Soldato
Errol said:
Keep Fletcher and Silvestre. They both act as good back-up and know what to do and keep things simple.

Richardson needs to leave. He would barely get into Watford's 1st team let alone Man Utd's.

I can't believe what I'm hearing from half of this lot! Leave Richardson out of it, I dont mind either way what happens to him, I think hes good for 30 mins or so against weaker teams cos say what you like about him he is quick.

But Fletcher! How can you say he knows what to do, he is absolutely awful, I rank him up there with Boumsong in the worst players ever in the prem and definitely the worst I've ever seen don the glorious red shirt.

How can you say he is useful, the only 2 things I've ever seen him do that somehow didnt hinder the team is score against chelsea and a ball he put through for Ruud once which to be honest, although was a good ball I dont think it was something only he could do.

I think the striker situation could be better but there are more urgent needs, the rate at which we get goals from other parts of the pitch I think make up for what we lose in strikers at the moment but I worry about how much longer without an established midfield, Scholes and Carrick seem to function but its never seemed like a partnership, more of just managing with them while we wait for a proper midfield, in the Keane and Scholes days, who here ever thought whos he put in midfield if both of them were fit?

Hargreaves would be a good signing, Riquelme seems the kind of player who may struggle in the Prem, same with Torres and Saviola, both seem extremely comfortable with the leagues they're in.

Soldato
Liefrich said:
I have to disagree about Torres, he is young quick and skillful; would definitely fit in well with Ronaldo and Rooney.

no one is saying otherwise, but would he fit in to the prem and england? Reyes for example did not..... that's the gamble, but then again it's a gamble with anyone from overseas

Caporegime
Riquelme - unquestionably talented. but can you really see him putting in 30+ consistently great and tough performances a year?

i saw him miss the penalty against arsenal, quit the national team, and then moved back to Boca from Villarreal....

to me doesnt sound like he is worth a gamble - he was a talent but couldnt handle the pressure or expectation and as such has allowed the world to miss out on his talent.

Soldato
Nickg said:
Riquelme - unquestionably talented. but can you really see him putting in 30+ consistently great and tough performances a year?

i saw him miss the penalty against arsenal, quit the national team, and then moved back to Boca from Villarreal....

to me doesnt sound like he is worth a gamble - he was a talent but couldnt handle the pressure or expectation and as such has allowed the world to miss out on his talent.

My sentiments exactley.

Soldato
I think OShea and Fletcher showed their worth tonight - I agree I dont think they are ever going to be 1st XI but after tonight they deserve their squad numbers

Silvestre and Richardson need to go asap imo

Saha played well over half a season but is too injury prone and cant be relied upon and after Smith's battling display tonight (not to mention a decently taken goal at a semi-crucial time -1st being most crucial) and after going through a horrendous season will get at least next season at OT imo

Im also thinking that potentially Giggs may be moved more into the wandering midfield role more permanently and get another decent winger (Park is ok but only good for squad)

Soldato
well what a game!

i must admit i was worried before kick off, would we be chasing the game at 0 - 0 with ten mins to go throwing everyone forward........errrrrrr no we would be looking for number 8 :p

Fletcher was my man of the match - and again when did i ever think i would say that, his energy in the fist 20 mins got the whole team going imo

Associate
The first 5 minutes of the game; seeing Rooney on the left and Giggs in the centre got me worried as this was the same formation that lost to Celtic. But thank god that it worked and I can now see why Ferguson keeps persisting with it in the Champions League.

Fletcher was very good; but he is a damn good player when he is played at CM and not RM. I hope this performance can see him now justify why Ferguson has kept faith in him when to be honest some of his 100+ games have been pretty average.

Smith was also excellent, but why did he not start against P'mouth!! Lets just hope this game now gives us the momentum to go on and win all our remaining games.

Soldato
OP
Big let off today. Time to look ahead to Tuesday. I think we basically have 13 players at the moment, so the team will probably be:

VdS
O'Shea
Heinze
Brown
Evra (is he even fit?)
Ronaldo
Carrick
Scholes
Rooney
Giggs
Smith

Leaving Fletcher and Solksjaer as our only backup (Richardson and Cathcart apparantly injured too).

Apparantly Saha is 100% but he's mentally not ready. I think Fergie should take the risk and just force him to play, we need his goals more than ever now.

Permabanned
Ripper^ said:
Apparantly Saha is 100% but he's mentally not ready. I think Fergie should take the risk and just force him to play, we need his goals more than ever now.

I think Fergie should grab him round the neck and slap him in the face, its a title run in FFS and hes mentally not ready, **** off pull your socks up you lazy French ****

We should send him to Tottenham, not in a swap deal with Berbatov just as a thankyou for Carrick

Ive lost patience with Saha :mad:

Soldato
Saha is a disgrace, if he's not willing to help the team at the most crucial stage of the season then he should ship out this summer. I thought we lost the last big drama queen in RVN but it seems we've inherited another one. Rumours are that he's had a showdown with Ferguson over Larsson being brought in, if that's true, his days are numbered. The ****.

Back
Top Bottom