****MASS EFFECT : ANDROMEDA****

Caporegime
Hmm. I was hyped for this but it seems to be a bit, well, still in beta I guess. It doesn't seem ready to me. I think I will wait for a few weeks and if the price comes down, that will be a bonus.

Soldato
By far my favourite clip I've seen is the one where the female character takes the gun off the other guy, with absolutely no facial reaction at all. It is like their body was acting completely independently. Hilarious.

Soldato
A lot of the odd moments doing the rounds pass by in a split second. It's funny to see, but rarely noticeable in the game.
Yeah I know what you mean. Did you see the screenshot from a few weeks ago of PeeBee holding the pistol (carnifex I think) backwards? I just saw that and it didn't annoy me but instead just made me chuckle. Certainly isn't spoiling it for me. I only have 1:50 left on my trial. Less than two hours gameplay, and I can't even play it on Thursday night when it's finally out either...

One bug that is REALLY annoying me is the scanner. It keeps getting stuck. I press G and it opens up and immediately closes. Have to quit or alt-tab to get it to stay open.

Associate
I had pre-ordered with cdkeys but as they seemed a bit slow at sending the key out and I had a day off today I bought directly from Origin.

I have played for about 15 hours, including the trial and have to say I am really liking the game so far. I'm by no means a ME veteran. I have played ME2 but not the others, and it was a long time ago.

Have to say the graphics are incredible. They say good graphics don't make a good game, and that's surely true however it definitely helps! The fighting is good fun and seems very fluid.

I am enjoying the conversation too, though I am not that far in the game does seem very much open in giving you options of how to handle things and where you want to go. Sure the animations on the humans are not great, but it's not the end of the world. I don't know if I'm seeing things but I think Ryder is starting to grow a beard as time goes on also?

So far so good. The graphics are amazing and there have definitely been a few wow moments when seeing things for the first time. The combat seems challenging enough without being over the top and there are a huge number of skill powers and variations. I don't feel tied to one path (except for the start.) I haven't seen the consequences of my choices as yet, but I'm sure that will come.

While your mileage may vary I would say to anyone on the fence, jump in! Despite the reviews it feels like one of the best games I have played in a while.

Associate
The staggered release is a bit annoying. I'm not sure of the need for it really when it's a digital download. Game is good though.

Last edited:
Soldato
It is a fun game so far but I nearly dies of laughter at the npc conversations on the first eos base. Go see everyone and chat to them in the new buildings to get a sense of how unpolished and funny things are when their arms are all over the place and they keep doing their non conversation paths and routes mid conversation. The guy in the building behind the new mayor was the funniest as he couldn't control the gravity of his left arm. Also in a building where I got a list of people that went to try and control the creator bots there was a guy looking around puzzled and occasionally staring right at me whilst I was talking to the guy next to him and it was pretty weird.

Associate
It's weird what people base their purchasing decisions on. If the facial animations absolutely ruin a game like this for you I still can't understand that but fine. It effects your immersion. There really isn't much else to dislike about the game though. The writing is not as good as probably only a handful of other games but it's fine, the graphics are mostly lovely and the combat fast paced and exciting. Even the AI of the Drell seems pretty good (on insanity the heavy's do a great job of charging your position to either force you back or die). It is different from the Mass Effect Trilogy in that it's more open and with that open worldness comes the trappings of the genre. The game itself though is great.

I guess it's just the net but when you look around forums, I wonder how many of the people who say "I was going to get it but..." were actually going to get it. I guess seeing as it's called Mass Effect it was always going to get a rough ride regardless.

Associate
It is a fun game so far but I nearly dies of laughter at the npc conversations on the first eos base. Go see everyone and chat to them in the new buildings to get a sense of how unpolished and funny things are when their arms are all over the place and they keep doing their non conversation paths and routes mid conversation. The guy in the building behind the new mayor was the funniest as he couldn't control the gravity of his left arm. Also in a building where I got a list of people that went to try and control the creator bots there was a guy looking around puzzled and occasionally staring right at me whilst I was talking to the guy next to him and it was pretty weird.

Was that the first time you noticed it? My play of the trial didn't reach that far and I noticed none of those graphical anomalies up until the end of the trial. Also the weird staring thing happens a lot in the other ME games. Your having a conversation with someone and a character in the background or even one of your companions has a weird look on their face that doesn't seem to match with what is happening in front of them.

Associate
It's weird what people base their purchasing decisions on. If the facial animations absolutely ruin a game like this for you I still can't understand that but fine. It effects your immersion. There really isn't much else to dislike about the game though. The writing is not as good as probably only a handful of other games but it's fine, the graphics are mostly lovely and the combat fast paced and exciting. Even the AI of the Drell seems pretty good (on insanity the heavy's do a great job of charging your position to either force you back or die). It is different from the Mass Effect Trilogy in that it's more open and with that open worldness comes the trappings of the genre. The game itself though is great.

I guess it's just the net but when you look around forums, I wonder how many of the people who say "I was going to get it but..." were actually going to get it. I guess seeing as it's called Mass Effect it was always going to get a rough ride regardless.

Good to hear you're finding it OK. I'm still undecided. Numerous reports state a lack of polish, not just to do with awkward animations. I guess my biggest fear is that this DAI to Dragon Age, i.e a game which ticks boxes but has no soul, which is how I found DAI. How are you finding it from an immersion story perspective and do you care about the characters?

Associate
I had pre-ordered with cdkeys but as they seemed a bit slow at sending the key out and I had a day off today I bought directly from Origin.

I have played for about 15 hours, including the trial and have to say I am really liking the game so far. I'm by no means a ME veteran. I have played ME2 but not the others, and it was a long time ago.

Have to say the graphics are incredible. They say good graphics don't make a good game, and that's surely true however it definitely helps! The fighting is good fun and seems very fluid.

I am enjoying the conversation too, though I am not that far in the game does seem very much open in giving you options of how to handle things and where you want to go. Sure the animations on the humans are not great, but it's not the end of the world. I don't know if I'm seeing things but I think Ryder is starting to grow a beard as time goes on also?

So far so good. The graphics are amazing and there have definitely been a few wow moments when seeing things for the first time. The combat seems challenging enough without being over the top and there are a huge number of skill powers and variations. I don't feel tied to one path (except for the start.) I haven't seen the consequences of my choices as yet, but I'm sure that will come.

While your mileage may vary I would say to anyone on the fence, jump in! Despite the reviews it feels like one of the best games I have played in a while.

Completely agree, it has its problems but the amount of hate this game is getting seems a bit OTT. The combat is super fun and challenging on insanity difficulty, I'm really enjoying that. It can be a bit clunky at times but so was Witcher 3 at release and that's my all time favourite game

Associate
Good to hear you're finding it OK. I'm still undecided. Numerous reports state a lack of polish, not just to do with awkward animations. I guess my biggest fear is that this DAI to Dragon Age, i.e a game which ticks boxes but has no soul, which is how I found DAI. How are finding it from an immersion story perspective and do you care about the characters?

The human characters I can leave but the Asari, the female Turian and the Krogan all seem really good and I'm looking forward to learning more about them. I felt the same about DAI and this does feel a bit similar but the first planet I've found more interesting to explore than many of the areas in DAI and the combat is much better. The one thing I'm concerned about is that you have to fix the atmosphere on the first planet which is OK, but I'm hoping it's not something that you have to do on all of the planets (assuming there are more!). It's a real open world game trapping thing like climbing towers etc.

I think what helps is that I created my Femryder to look a bit goofy, kinda attractive but there is something odd about her face. Quite like that and it helps with my immersion. I'm considering starting again though as I recently played an Infiltrator on ME 1 and 2 and it seems as though invis/cloak is going to be as invaluable on insanity here are well. Anyone can get it but I wished I'd have got it earlier.

Last edited:
Associate
The human characters I can leave but the Asari, the female Turian and the Krogan all seem really good and I'm looking forward to learning more about them. I felt the same about DAI and this does feel a bit similar but the first planet I've found more interesting to explore than many of the areas in DAI and the combat is much better. The one thing I'm concerned about is that you have to fix the atmosphere on the first planet which is OK, but I'm hoping it's not something that you have to do on all of the planets (assuming there are more!). It's a real open world game trapping thing like climbing towers etc.

I think what helps is that I created my Femryder to look a bit goofy, kinda attractive but there is something odd about her face. Quite like that and it helps with my immersion.

Thanks :) I might just buy it via Origin at full price, so at least I can get my money back after a full days play if not happy.

Soldato
Thanks :) I might just buy it via Origin at full price, so at least I can get my money back after a full days play if not happy.

I did. £54 for the Deluxe. It's a lot, but I rarely buy new games and, well, it's Mass Effect :) Enjoying it so far, but I only have ~1:50 left on my trial :(

Back
Top Bottom