****MASS EFFECT : ANDROMEDA****

Associate
Not sure if the code is still valid, but CDKeys sent me an email earlier for 25% off the RRP - code CDKEYSMEA777

Personally I am going to wait as I've got loads of other games keeping me busy at the moment :)

Associate
I'm having a balst, it feels very evocative of Mass Effect. The lead has nuanced delivery, the plot motivations are consistent and believable, the character/squad have some grea interaction, and some of the conversations you have feel very true.

Human face and facial animations are 90% average(as in never 2017 good), 10% bad.

Associate
Not sure if the code is still valid, but CDKeys sent me an email earlier for 25% off the RRP - code CDKEYSMEA777

Personally I am going to wait as I've got loads of other games keeping me busy at the moment :)

Note, this is not 25% off their price but RRP. I tested just now, they have it for £36.99 and the code brings it down to £34.12

Edit: Still good price and I will likely snap it up for that unless I spot something better.

Soldato
one of the best 21:9 games out graphically atm..

I completely agree.

I have been playing this for about 2 hours 30 now ( granted it's not a huge amount of time ) but im thoroughly enjoying myself. It's so easy to get engrossed in the surroundings/story. I personally think the negativity around this is 85% sensationalism as it's (for me) by far not nearly as horrifically bad as some major publications would make it out to be. Granted there are a few moments where animations seem a tiny bit of kilter but it doesn't destroy the game. as for 21:9 i do wish the in engine rendered cut scenes showed 21:9 ( i could understand for the cgi ones being 16:9 ) hopefully there will be a fix for this.

Maxed out getting 40-50fps on a gtx1080 @ 3440x1440

Associate
Was going to buy this, as I really loved 1,2 and 3.....but after seeing all the SJW crap and Bioware employing a guy that actively tweets anti white posts.....think ill put my money towards a Switch and Zelda! Shame really :(

Associate
There's something just not right about this game, depth of story, polish, and all of it feeds into a subtle feeling that for all the hype it's not that great. The ME story line has always been about story over visuals, even in max settings graphics are a mixed bag. Immersiveness of an RPG has been abandoned here more due to issues & focus on being a shooter than keeping to the successful mix of the previous triology.The writing in this feels more fan story, but that would be an insult to some awesome fan fiction. The writing is very forced, with huge disparity between characters, all of it lacking the subtle world building of the previous trilogy. In MEA visuals range from pre-ME1 to beautiful [a great shame that one moment at ultra settings its gorgeous and within seconds you have sub par graphics, efforts show on planets and the tempest but elsewhere its shockinkly distracting, including the animations], voice acting is clunky [on the verge of cringeworthy] and you'll be compelled to skip some conversations, the open world doesn't work a as invisioned at implentation and plenty of bugs. The menu systems and lack of quick save add to to the lack of polish and feel of a game console import, quicksave and lack of mini map becomes mind numbling annoying. MEA just feels awkward or forced. It almost seems ambition and reality of timeline in dev didn't work out. Also you can rush through this game and I think they should have stopped that or discourage it more as was found in ME2. In its simplist form you can get a real difference by listening to the ME1 Soundtrack against the MEA one. You kind of just get a 'meh' feeling. I think over time and progression, even if the main antagonist storyline improves, much of the detractors start to really grind, wear you down and get bored. It really does feel like just another shooter/rpg and lacks orginality [with some obvious repeats from the trilogy], although a new era some stronger links or rationale behind the main story might have helped, its just rather 'weak'. In addition to this, im reguarly finding gaps in knowledge, wondering how someone knows that or when was that explained? Rather big holes exist in the story line, I cant decide if this is lining up an MEA2 or forcing completionist games, however many exist in cut scenes in dialogue. There are hints of issues in the 'real world' appearing at times.

I've tired to keep an open mind that this is a new storyline and to give it a chance but in real terms this doesn't feel like 5 years of dev or classic bioware. If this is a start of new trilogy they have no option but to follow up quickly with a MEA2 and sort it out as many will feel that lack of wanting more as was found with ME1. Many wanted it to be more similar to ME1, but the genuius of ME one was polish, critical storyline and a moderated open world, this had not been achived in MEA. Some may even call it DAI in space. Its hard to bond with characters or even be that fussed with the storyline and sometimes events, plots and quests seem a drag or no real placement in the context they are set. You get quickly overloaded with fruitless side quests of no meaning or little relevancy. Loyalty missions reguarly have little to do with the team mate and youve hardly got to the stage of feeling any loyalty to them. As we can see from reviews, it's not bad, it's not great but 'neutral', a mixed bag which I think is the worst kind. Many of the old team left bioware and the ME franchise and random people bought in, and it shows. It lacks the maturity of ME1 and worst out of the 4, it certainty will be amongst biowares lesser titles. We all accept some bugs and issues but MEA sits on the dangerous grey area which has split the gaming community. A remaster of ME1-3 would have made some happier. Do I feel gripped to play this or rushing back to play it again or continue it from day to day life and work, no. This is a signficant difference to ME1-3.

In all it's a mixed bag and for many it will be the overall feeling of the game. My gut feeling so far is disappointment but most of all it lacks 'soul'.

Give it it ago, but be prepared. Many will feel they would have wanted to face the reapers than run away to andromeda. What a shame we had to wait 5 years to find out.

Last edited:
Associate
I will admit that I am a huge loyal fan of the ME franchise.

About 40 hours in to MEA:

There's something just not right about this game, depth of story, polish, and all of it feeds into a subtle feeling that for all the hype it's not that great. The ME story line has always been about story over visuals, even in max settings graphics are a mixed bag.

I've tired to keep an open mind that this is a new storyline and to give it a chance but in real terms this doesn't feel like 5 years of dev or classic bioware. It's DAI in space. Its hard to bond with characters or even be that fussed with the storyline and sometimes events, plots and quests seem a drag or no real placement in the context they are set.

In all it's a mixed bag but my gut feeling so far is disappointment.

I adored the original Dragon Age and found for the first time. With DAI I couldn't get attached to the characters at all. Soulless. I've held off buying MEA and you're not warming me to it for fear of another DAI experience. DAI wasn't a bad game and I'm sure MEA isn't either. Its just whether its really good and so far without having touched it I suspect maybe not.

Associate
I adored the original Dragon Age and found for the first time. With DAI I couldn't get attached to the characters at all. Soulless. I've held off buying MEA and you're not warming me to it for fear of another DAI experience. DAI wasn't a bad game and I'm sure MEA isn't either. Its just whether its really good and so far without having touched it I suspect maybe not.

I'd say give it a go but be warned...that or await a sale!

Associate
I will admit that I am a huge loyal fan of the ME franchise.

About 40 hours in to MEA:

There's something just not right about this game, depth of story, polish, and all of it feeds into a subtle feeling that for all the hype it's not that great. The ME story line has always been about story over visuals, even in max settings graphics are a mixed bag. The writing in this feels more fan story, but that would be an insult to some awesome fan fiction. In MEA visuals range from pre-ME1 to beautiful, voice acting is clunky and you'll be compelled to skip some conversations, the open world doesn't work a as invisioned and plenty of bugs. MEA just feels awkward or forced. It almost seems ambition and reality of timeline in dev didn't work out. Also you can rush through this game and I think they should have stopped that or discourage it more as was found in ME2. You kind of just get a 'meh' feeling. I think over time and progression, even if the main antagonist storyline improves, much of the detractors start to really grind, wear you down and get bored. There are hints of issues in the 'real world' appearing at times.

I've tired to keep an open mind that this is a new storyline and to give it a chance but in real terms this doesn't feel like 5 years of dev or classic bioware. some may even call it DAI in space. Its hard to bond with characters or even be that fussed with the storyline and sometimes events, plots and quests seem a drag or no real placement in the context they are set. As we can see from reviews, it's not bad, it's not great but 'neutral', a mixed bag which I think is the worst kind. Many of the old team left bioware and the ME franchise and it shows. It lacks the maturity of ME1 and worst out of the 4, it certainty will be amongst biowares lesser titles.

In all it's a mixed bag but my gut feeling so far is disappointment but most of all it lacks 'soul'.

Give it it ago, but be prepared. Many will feel they would have wanted to face the reapers than run away to Andromeda. What a shame we had to wait 5 years to find out.
Sounds like a pretty fair assessment. I also am I loyal ME fan, read all the books back in the day and just bought it yesterday. Played it for an hour and im enjoying it so far but your right, there is something missing. I played ME3 a month ago on some of the expansion packs I missed and the feel and wonder was still in tact. Its almost like in their attempt to modernise the the game they removed the style that made it great...I dunno still early days.

What really did p!ssed me off big time and this is a massive fail in my book, why has the narration for the Codex stopped? That was what made Mass Effect universe great and believable. I was sort of expecting the Codex to give me all the background I wanted and unfortunately it loses something when its just reams of text.

Soldato
Had 3 hours or so on it last night,

Combat is a refreshing change even without having access to all skills it feels good, animations are allover the place but I can live with it some are worse than others. Dropped into MP for a strike squad and like any mp you need to mute others, open mic galore. It felt like doing horde mode on any other shooter recently released was ok for the 10 minutes or so it took.

Graphics are surprisingly good and I've no idea why EA / Bioware have released the specs they said, I'm running everything on ultra @ 3440x1440 and it's not gone under 60 fps once (apart from the prerendered cutscenes) need to see if someone has released the 21:9 cutscene .exe fix like they did with TW3 though as that's getting rather annoying.

FTM

FTM

Soldato
yeah I caved as well

and I am liking it..sure the characters are a bit hit and miss....but thers lots of choices and its familiar and new at the same time..and the Tempest looks glorious

Soldato
It's so strange how bad they have screwed up the facial animations because outside of this the graphics are stunning in places. The lighting and effects in particular are some of the best represented i've seen. Not long in but enjoying it.

Associate
Anyone had any black screen freezes? I've now read multiple reports of people not having any issues with the 10hr trial. However on the full game buyers and reviewers have mentioned multiple directx crashes. I'm close to buying this, but struggling to get passed some technical concerns. :(

Soldato
Anyone had any black screen freezes? I've now read multiple reports of people not having any issues with the 10hr trial. However on the full game buyers and reviewers have mentioned multiple directx crashes. I'm close to buying this, but struggling to get passed some technical concerns. :(

Nope ran fine last night, infact I was surprised by how well it ran.

Associate
Well i did a clean install of the latest drivers and now the game will run without crashs in borderless window mode. Full screen crashs with in 2 mins of running. Just played through the 1st mission and have to say seem to be fun so far .

Back
Top Bottom