****MASS EFFECT : ANDROMEDA****

Man of Honour
I noticed this on orgin access on the weekend so for £4 I thought why not. Played over 7 hours on the weekend and I'm really enjoying it, I've completed the desert planet and on to the next one now. While it has a few problems I can't understand the backlash on release at all. Granted it's not a Mass Effect game but if you treat it as a new game with a Mass Effect setting, I think it's rather good.

It has been massively patched since release. It is enjoyable enough.

Soldato
Big fan of the original trilogy although have yet to try Andromeda after being put off by all the negative feedback. I will get to is now that's it's available through Origin Access.

I can't help but wonder how they got it so wrong though? Ok the technical issues are well documented but if they had gone with a story than kept it closer to the original characters and universe, a prequel or some clever way if making it more like the Mass Effect we all know and love, would the game have sold better? I can't help but think that if they got the story and setting right then all the flaws and padded out side quests may have been forgiven...

Soldato
Big fan of the original trilogy although have yet to try Andromeda after being put off by all the negative feedback. I will get to is now that's it's available through Origin Access.

I can't help but wonder how they got it so wrong though? Ok the technical issues are well documented but if they had gone with a story than kept it closer to the original characters and universe, a prequel or some clever way if making it more like the Mass Effect we all know and love, would the game have sold better? I can't help but think that if they got the story and setting right then all the flaws and padded out side quests may have been forgiven...

I think they were right to go with a new game in a 'mass effect setting'. Even with the crap ending of 3, it's still one of the best Trilogies in the history of gaming so it was going to be impossible to live up to what came before. I'm not sure they got it 'so wrong' though. It's not a great game but it's not a bad game either, as usual gaming community hypes something to frothing at the mouths level and they believe it will be something it never intended to be.

Soldato
I think they were right to go with a new game in a 'mass effect setting'. Even with the crap ending of 3, it's still one of the best Trilogies in the history of gaming so it was going to be impossible to live up to what came before. I'm not sure they got it 'so wrong' though. It's not a great game but it's not a bad game either, as usual gaming community hypes something to frothing at the mouths level and they believe it will be something it never intended to be.
Yeah it's a fair point about the community rantings. It can't have got it 'right' either though if the reception the game got caused them to cancel any future plans and make it available on Origin Access after 6 months. Can't comment on how good or not the game actually is to play as I haven't tired it yet - I'll do so before passing further comment...

Soldato
Plenty of Youtube videos explain how they got it "so wrong" and the fact that the studio was effectively shutdown and development (patches / DLC) ceased tells you that EA agreed.

What I meant by 'so wrong' was it being a bad game, not about how much it sold etc. While it does have problems and criticism is completely fair and justified this is another example of the gaming community with toxic over reactions.

Soldato
I recently finished ME:A after stepping away from the 1.0 release.

The more I played it the more I enjoyed it. Yes, it's not as good as the other games but it's still a good game.

Soldato
They relied too heavily on the belief that they could ride on the proverbial coattails of the original trilogies success. Amongst other things. Andromeda isn't a terrible game, it's just a terrible Mass Effect game.

Soldato
I am not playing anything atm after finishing Assassin's Creed. I thought i would reinstall this and maybe try another playthrough. I set it to download, then as I was going through Origin I saw the word 'Remnant'...and suddenly I had no wish to play it again so cancelled the dl. I think that word acted as a reminder of how tedious a large portion of the game is!...If I play it again I'm gonna have to go through all those Remnant buildings again.

Soldato
I really enjoyed the game. The more the story unfolded the more the game and characters came together, so much so that after completion I started a new game to play through it again with a better understanding of what was going on and to see what if anything I'd missed. I enjoyed ME1 and ME2 but the controls on ME3 were so bad I just gave up (after repeated attempts).

IMHO Andromeda doesn't deserve the negativity, the only "bug" I encountered was overlong load times in some locations, the graphics and controls are a huge improvement, there is a decent solid storyline and characters which lend themselves to further development which I hope will come in the future.

Back
Top Bottom