Massive Car insurance costs?

Associate
Just had my renewal quote come through, £920 last year, £1,375 for next... and last years was already an increase on the previous :/
Only change this year would be I upped the milage from 8k to 10k around a month back since I realised I was probably going a bit too far over.
Need to check the comparison sites.

OcUK Staff
Merry Christmas all and got my renewal invitation this morning and pleasantly surprised:

IMG_4835.jpeg

Too summarise:

Ferrari is about £120 less
Skoda around £90 more
M2 around £150 more
R8 is new but it seems about £20 less
GR seems about £20 leas
Home insurance is new with Admiral was about £180 with Directline who wanted £270ish so switched to Admiral with a higher level of cover.

Two weeks ago I went into MyAccount and adjusted all the excess amounts (higher) and adjusted mileages mainly same but GR Yaris I had as only 2500 miles, ooops so adjusted to 5000 miles.

In short I’m really happy, what I find crazy is how cheap the Ferrari is but I did put its miles at 2000 and excess at £2500 but it is valued at £70,000 so the highest.

In short Admiral multi cover is damn cheap compared to other insurance companies, especially if your realistic with mileage and excess, the modifications on Ferrari and R8 are also declared.

I knew the M2 was going to cause the most pain as in the M2 social groups I’m a member of many owners are been refused renewal or their premiums have doubled/tripled as it seems M2 for whatever reason have rocketed.

Very happy though as the McLaren was £1200 this year for its fancy cover and Corvette £160 but that does renew in March.

My partner is also a named driver on all above cars as is my mum as my partner does increase the premium on some of my cars due to less experience but my mum then nullifies the extra cost due to her more years of experience.

So big thumbs up to Admiral, be realistic, set mileages at what you will do, put a large excess on if your happy to do so and add your partners and parents as named drivers to reduce cost potentially.

Admiral also support multi car over multiple addresses if the other owners are family members.

Merry Christmas everyone and the M2 survived Christmas :D

Last edited:
Soldato
@Gibbo Are you the only named driver on the cars?

The reason policies like yours are cheaper than you would expect, is because you can only drive one car at a time. Most of the cost of claims is due to accidents (rather than fire and theft), and so having 2 or more cars doesn't increase that chance. The M2 probably is the highest because it is the most prone to theft.

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
@Gibbo Are you the only named driver on the cars?

The reason policies like yours are cheaper than you would expect, is because you can only drive one car at a time. Most of the cost of claims is due to accidents (rather than fire and theft), and so having 2 or more cars doesn't increase that chance. The M2 probably is the highest because it is the most prone to theft.

I am policy holder on all cars, except the Skoda. My girlfriend and mother are named drivers on all my cars.

That is the whole point of multi-car policies I thought, they understand you can only drive one car at a time, after all I'd have super powers if I could drive two cars at once ;) and as such every car you add gives a discount. I think it seems decent, 5 cars, four of which are performance cars and two with modifications for 2k seems pretty decent in the current market. :)

Associate
I ran a multi car quote from admiral and got 7.5k! Two separate policies are coming in at 3k.
What is going on, prices vary so wildly right now.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
So Hastings just emailed me... Merry Christmas!

2Il10Gc.png

Bear in mind last year I renewed with Hastings ;at the cost of £362, which was about £50 more than the previous year. This was the cheapest quote at the time so just kept it with Hastings.

So now having ran quotes through 3 comparison sites...

MySterling is the cheapest via Compare the Market = £357 + A year of Meerkat Food & Movies

MySterling via GoCompare = £443 and is also the cheapest + £250 excess refund after any claim

Geoffrey via Money Supermarket = £418 as the cheapest

Compare the Market it is then I guess...

Soldato

2Il10Gc.png

Bear in mind last year I renewed with Hastings ;at the cost of £362, which was about £50 more than the previous year. This was the cheapest quote at the time so just kept it with Hastings.

MySterling is the cheapest via Compare the Market = £357 + A year of Meerkat Food & Movies

MySterling via GoCompare = £443 and is also the cheapest + £250 excess refund after any claim

Do you live next to @floatindolphin?

Permabanned

2Il10Gc.png

If your M3 is modified, even a little, it'll be very cheap with Adrian Flux/Sterling (the sister company)... My engine/diff/box swapped E36 with stupid amounts of mods (like 15k worth) was cheaper to insure by a grand than if it was stock with a weedy engine lmao. Might be worth fitting some lowering springs/spacers or something simple if not to make it modified. And make sure you declare the price as what'd it'd cost to enthusiasts not stupid trade in con prices... As it genuinely makes it cheaper.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
If your M3 is modified, even a little, it'll be very cheap with Adrian Flux/Sterling (the sister company)... My engine/diff/box swapped E36 with stupid amounts of mods (like 15k worth) was cheaper to insure by a grand than if it was stock with a weedy engine lmao. Might be worth fitting some lowering springs/spacers or something simple if not to make it modified. And make sure you declare the price as what'd it'd cost to enthusiasts not stupid trade in con prices... As it genuinely makes it cheaper.
Yeah that was declaring all my mods! In fact the funny thing is on comparethemarket, Sterling were the only ones who gave a quote, and with or without the mods, their quote was exactly the same :cry:

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I'll give them a ring when they open again on the 27th, so far I've seen that the following can offer even cheaper prices:

Footman James
Hagerty
Adrian Flux

Worth a try I guess :D

Associate
I'll give them a ring when they open again on the 27th, so far I've seen that the following can offer even cheaper prices:

Footman James
Hagerty
Adrian Flux

Worth a try I guess :D

Good luck!, although my car isn't modified I was having issues insuring it before I collected it (it was nigh on impossible to select the correct car on any comparison site 73 M3 Saloon didn't seem to exist) had no luck with Adrian Flux, spent 30 mins on the phone and the cheapest they came back with was £5,000, currently with Admiral and even then needed to have a phone call to actually get the correct car covered - now it's registered and on the systems it's easier to get quotes but still quite a few won't insure it.

Reactions: mrk

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Adrian Flux came to just over £600 quoted, they said they've had a hard time getting competitive quotes lately on performance cars :eek:

Hagerty quoted: £542.69 with agreed value

Footman James: Unable to quote

I'll go with Sterling at £357!

Associate
Adrian Flux came to just over £600 quoted, they said they've had a hard time getting competitive quotes lately on performance cars :eek:

Hagerty quoted: £542.69 with agreed value

Footman James: Unable to quote

I'll go with Sterling at £357!
Bargain!

Man of Honour

I've never actually seen Adrian Flux have competitive quotes any time I've looked at it, albeit I've mostly been looking for temporary/short term cover though there are some vehicles they cover which other insurers won't even touch or will just quote "go away" prices.

Soldato
Seeing AF being touted around as competitive thought I'd give them a go.
2016 430D BMW, 54 years old 3 year NCB decent postcode, last year & £445 with Tesco... AF £1560 :D

Cheapest quote I've had so far is £785 with no extras & a £400 voluntary excess on top of the £350 compulsory.

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
Merry Christmas all and got my renewal invitation this morning and pleasantly surprised:

IMG_4835.jpeg

Too summarise:

Ferrari is about £120 less
Skoda around £90 more
M2 around £150 more
R8 is new but it seems about £20 less
GR seems about £20 leas
Home insurance is new with Admiral was about £180 with Directline who wanted £270ish so switched to Admiral with a higher level of cover.

Two weeks ago I went into MyAccount and adjusted all the excess amounts (higher) and adjusted mileages mainly same but GR Yaris I had as only 2500 miles, ooops so adjusted to 5000 miles.

In short I’m really happy, what I find crazy is how cheap the Ferrari is but I did put its miles at 2000 and excess at £2500 but it is valued at £70,000 so the highest.

In short Admiral multi cover is damn cheap compared to other insurance companies, especially if your realistic with mileage and excess, the modifications on Ferrari and R8 are also declared.

I knew the M2 was going to cause the most pain as in the M2 social groups I’m a member of many owners are been refused renewal or their premiums have doubled/tripled as it seems M2 for whatever reason have rocketed.

Very happy though as the McLaren was £1200 this year for its fancy cover and Corvette £160 but that does renew in March.

My partner is also a named driver on all above cars as is my mum as my partner does increase the premium on some of my cars due to less experience but my mum then nullifies the extra cost due to her more years of experience.

So big thumbs up to Admiral, be realistic, set mileages at what you will do, put a large excess on if your happy to do so and add your partners and parents as named drivers to reduce cost potentially.

Admiral also support multi car over multiple addresses if the other owners are family members.

Merry Christmas everyone and the M2 survived Christmas :D

So I thought as I am on holiday I'd give Admiral a call to ask for discount for been a loyal customer, got a very nice chap on the phone who was happy to assist, no changes in cover but was able to give additional discount:

new_quote.JPG

So in short I earned £160 for ten minutes work, always worth giving them a call and crazy that I can insure a Ferrari 360 with modifications for £290. :D

Soldato
Got a quote 2 days ago to start 18th Jan. Was coming in at about £1000. Same quotes today £150 more expensive on all the comparison sites. Tried clearing all my cookies and doing new quotes....same. It's like I'm "on the systems" now and they know and hence will keep increasing it between now and the 18th Jan.
I tried moving the cover to start 2 days later on the 20th Jan and it actually goes up in price! If I move it earlier, up in price too. If I move it way out to late Jan...also goes up.

Is it something to do with buying cover on the last couple of days of the month, particularly December? I'm tempted to now wait until 5th Jan as then I can answer the question of how long has my son had his licence to "1 year" rather than "less than a year" which I think might make a difference.

Wohle thing is just a giant frickin rip off tbh.

Soldato
Got a quote 2 days ago to start 18th Jan. Was coming in at about £1000. Same quotes today £150 more expensive on all the comparison sites. Tried clearing all my cookies and doing new quotes....same. It's like I'm "on the systems" now and they know and hence will keep increasing it between now and the 18th Jan.
I tried moving the cover to start 2 days later on the 20th Jan and it actually goes up in price! If I move it earlier, up in price too. If I move it way out to late Jan...also goes up.

Is it something to do with buying cover on the last couple of days of the month, particularly December? I'm tempted to now wait until 5th Jan as then I can answer the question of how long has my son had his licence to "1 year" rather than "less than a year" which I think might make a difference.

Wohle thing is just a giant frickin rip off tbh.

Rooster insurance.

Get the app downloaded now, get him doing some driving in daylight, longer journeys, really gentle.

It’ll create a driving profile and offer him a price based on his driving.

When I used it a few years ago, it knocked £600 odd off my insurance.

Associate
Paid £450 to renew in Sep23 for a 2010 F11 525d.

Ran some quotes for a potential replacment

£1117 BMW G31 530d
£1300 BMW F15 X5 30d
£1200 Audi Q7 4M
£1300 M340i

ouch

used prices have dipped but you'll just be paying it back in insurance!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom