Mattresses - I need knowledge

Soldato
Still waiting for my Emma mattress, was supposed to be delivered yesterday by Rhenus home delivery but no one turned up, I'm starting to wish I went elsewhere now.

Really poor from both Emma and the courier service, I even confirmed the delivery day via email, and got confirmation and tracking on the day, but the tracking is useless.

Anyone thinking about buying from here, I would advise against.

I'm starting to wonder if the Emma mattress even exists.

If it doesn't arrive this coming week, Im going to start the process of getting my money back, luckily I paid by credit card.
Course it exists :D they delivered promptly for me. Update from me, had mine 12 months now and it's still going fantastically strong.

Associate
Expensive for a box mattress.

I'd never touch one with a barge pole. My back is worth more to me.

I tried some very expensive spring mattresses in the shops when we did the rounds and I didn't get on with any of them.

My current mattress is a memory foam only mattress, cost me £600 10 years ago and people still say it's the most comfortable mattress they've slept on, it's not sagged, or flattened over the years and if we weren't getting a bigger bed we'd be keeping it.

I don't think the Emma is the same quality as what I have but we'll see, just personal preference I guess.

Soldato
Yeah it's true you need to lie on one for quite a while.

I have an ikea Latex mattress from about 10 years ago which we are replacing. Was about £750 at the time but it's been lovely to sleep on during that time. The one thing I like about it, which I've noticed some newer other brand ones failing on, is when you get close to the edge of the bed it still supports you.

It's put me off of ever getting a spring mattress again.

Associate
I got a king size Emma one around xmas and it was £365 if I remember correctly. It's very good but I really think a mattress is one of those things is a a REALLY individual thing. What I do notice is that when my cat (who isn't small btw) jumps onto the bed during the night, or does his usual moving about, I do not feel it all anymore, whereas before I used to always notice the movement. By extension I notice much less movement from my partner during the night, and she says the same thing, although of course you still notice some things with something the size a human!

I have the 100 night guarantee of course, but I won't be sending it back at that price.

Soldato
I'm in the market for a mattress soon and the thought of looking for one horrifies me, my current mattress is springs and is far too firm I wake up in the night loads of times with sore shoulders and have to keep swapping from side to side, me and my wife constantly wake each other moving around and when I get up in the morning my whole body is sore its grim.

I remember when we bought this one it took ages to decide and we ended up getting completely the wrong thing and paying £700 for the pleasure!

Associate
I'm in the market for a mattress soon and the thought of looking for one horrifies me, my current mattress is springs and is far too firm I wake up in the night loads of times with sore shoulders and have to keep swapping from side to side, me and my wife constantly wake each other moving around and when I get up in the morning my whole body is sore its grim.

I remember when we bought this one it took ages to decide and we ended up getting completely the wrong thing and paying £700 for the pleasure!

Goto a big John Lewis, there is bound to be one reasonably close by ish. They have loads of them set up and you can have a try, of course it doesnt mean that much after a few seconds but youll probably get a sense of where you want it in terms of firm/not firm in the current market. The 100 night refund policy on the likes of casper/emma/whatever do offer a fairly good peace of mind so if it turns out not be for you can just return it rather than wasting 700 notes!

Soldato
Goto a big John Lewis, there is bound to be one reasonably close by ish. They have loads of them set up and you can have a try, of course it doesnt mean that much after a few seconds but youll probably get a sense of where you want it in terms of firm/not firm in the current market. The 100 night refund policy on the likes of casper/emma/whatever do offer a fairly good peace of mind so if it turns out not be for you can just return it rather than wasting 700 notes!

I think I'm going to go mattress in a box this time and like you say, return if its no good. There is a big John Lewis near by though but dont want to risk buying the wrong thing again and not being able to do anything about it.

Associate
I think I'm going to go mattress in a box this time and like you say, return if its no good. There is a big John Lewis near by though but dont want to risk buying the wrong thing again and not being able to do anything about it.

Nah you goto John Lewis and try them out, they had Casper ones in the one near me so there are lots of options to try. Its more to get a feel of "firmness" because its so personal. Once you know how firm you like it compared to say a Casper you can check online which ones are softer/firmer and choose accordingly. 100 night guarantee in place and you are a winner.

Soldato
Nah you goto John Lewis and try them out, they had Casper ones in the one near me so there are lots of options to try. Its more to get a feel of "firmness" because its so personal. Once you know how firm you like it compared to say a Casper you can check online which ones are softer/firmer and choose accordingly. 100 night guarantee in place and you are a winner.

Ok thanks, John Lewis really isn't far so it's a no brained, cheers

Soldato
after spending about 3 months on out new superking bed with our old kingsized mattress I've finally got around to pulling the trigger on a John Ryan Artisan Naturals. Can't wait for it to turn up, shame that its going to take a month or so for it to arrive..

Back
Top Bottom