Mattresses - I need knowledge

Man of Honour
Well past our return period now, missus was still happy with it, so I stuck with it. Now she doesn't like it......
They can come out and measure it for droop, but reading they do all they can to get out of it, obviously. Plus I don't want another one.
Get onto them, they replaced our 4+ year old mattress earlier this year with very little resistance.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hypnos mattresses FTW

Memory foam and pillow tops are best avoided IMO as they make the bed too hot in summer and tend not to retain their shape.

Last edited:
Soldato
I had chronic lower back pain for years. Bought a Emma memory foam mattress 18 months ago, haven't had a single sleepless night due to back pain since. Had slept on sprung mattresses for 15 years with lower back pain and this simple 500 euro purchase seems to have fixed it.

Off course everyone's spine is different so obviously YMMV, but the returns policy is quite generous with most online memory foam companies so you could easily try it out.

rp2000
I've had an Emma for just over a year and it has completely misshapen and sunk on the sides, which is why I was looking to replace it with something good. They have actually just told me that it's faulty and are going to send a replacement, so hopefully that'll be better!

Soldato

Double £279 - King £329

Last edited:
Soldato
After a lot of research for my lower back pain, i came to the conclusion a medium firm hybrid/memory foam would be best. I liked a Tempur I tried butvwas £1600 for a double. I thought I'd try an Ergoglex 5G for £500 first as it's similar in principle. Only slept 4 nights in it so far though.

I've also invested in a memory foam block for in between legs, and proper ergonomic pillows (Groove) , to maintain a straight spine. Latter has made a big difference!

I bought an Ergoflex memory foam mattress, wich is on the firmer side, and it's improved my lower back pain. I don't wake up with as stiff a back anymore.

Soldato

Double £279 - King £329
I'm using a John Ryan for our main bedroom but I need to sort out a mattress for one of the spares. The bed will be used very rarely so I'd rather not spend spend anything near to what I paid for our JR.

I was looking an IKEA pocket sprung for £279, but surely this Emma will be miles better? I'm not expecting anything near to my JR, but £279 for use with a spare is surely a no brainer?

Soldato
I'm using a John Ryan for our main bedroom but I need to sort out a mattress for one of the spares. The bed will be used very rarely so I'd rather not spend spend anything near to what I paid for our JR.

I was looking an IKEA pocket sprung for £279, but surely this Emma will be miles better? I'm not expecting anything near to my JR, but £279 for use with a spare is surely a no brainer?

It's part of their Black Friday Deals that starts Sunday so it's first come first served from selected stores.

If you decide to go for it i wouldn't risk travelling miles if you don't have a local one as there doesn't seem to be a way of checking stock online.

Last edited:
Soldato
Skim read most of this thread, picked up on some useful info, but times may have changed...

I'm looking for a Superking Mattress, ideally around the £600 mark as already found some options in that price range, however the concensus of my skim read of this forum was in favor of the John Ryan mattress

• DreamCloud luxury hybrid mattress - £655​

• John Ryan Artisan Naturals - £1845 (however seen previous prices in this thread around the £500 mark?)​

• Emma Luxe Cooling Mattress - £769​

• Simba Hybrid Original - £775​

• NECTAR Premier Hybrid mattress -£859​

Any info on the DreamCloud mattress? Little info on here, but good reviews online (?trusted reviews though), any of the above to aviod? Any I should be looking into more? Is the JR really worth the extra?

Soldato
Skim read most of this thread, picked up on some useful info, but times may have changed...

I'm looking for a Superking Mattress, ideally around the £600 mark as already found some options in that price range, however the concensus of my skim read of this forum was in favor of the John Ryan mattress

• DreamCloud luxury hybrid mattress - £655​

• John Ryan Artisan Naturals - £1845 (however seen previous prices in this thread around the £500 mark?)​

• Emma Luxe Cooling Mattress - £769​

• Simba Hybrid Original - £775​

• NECTAR Premier Hybrid mattress -£859​

Any info on the DreamCloud mattress? Little info on here, but good reviews online (?trusted reviews though), any of the above to aviod? Any I should be looking into more? Is the JR really worth the extra?

Mine is the john Ryan artisan naturals superking and I paid £1990 in January this year. Expensive but it is really comfortable.

Last edited:
Soldato
So has anyone had one of these investigations done on there John Ryan mattress? I’ve gone ahead and arranged one for sagging I’ve just measured it myself and it’s about 34/35mm and I’ve been told 40mm is what they deem as a manufacturing fault. Are they really going to diddle me over 5mm if my measurement is correct?

Soldato
Took delivery of a John Ryan Artisan Bespoke King Size yesterday. We both like very firm mattresses. The wife and I slept on it for the first time last night. Very very happy.

Associate
Took delivery of a John Ryan Artisan Bespoke King Size yesterday. We both like very firm mattresses. The wife and I slept on it for the first time last night. Very very happy.
Just how firm is it, is it memory form firm or firm with. plush feel? We have a J&R super king Artisan Luxury which we like however, it is sadly too soft and causing hip and back pain. We are thinking of exchanging it for the Artisan Bespoke and buying a Devon Duvet wool topper to soften it ever so slightly. We stayed at a friends house recently, they had a firm mattress and our back/hip pain resolved until we arrived home and slept in our own bed.

Soldato
Just how firm is it, is it memory form firm or firm with. plush feel? We have a J&R super king Artisan Luxury which we like however, it is sadly too soft and causing hip and back pain. We are thinking of exchanging it for the Artisan Bespoke and buying a Devon Duvet wool topper to soften it ever so slightly. We stayed at a friends house recently, they had a firm mattress and our back/hip pain resolved until we arrived home and slept in our own bed.
So we’re now a month of sleeping on it and I still love it. So does my wife, I can lay in on the weekends and not get hip and back pain anymore.

It’s so hard to say how ‘firm it is’ because it’s only relevant to what I know. It’s certainly not like laying on a hard floor if that’s what you mean, not even close, and it has some give for the top layer. It just feels super supportive.

Associate
So we’re now a month of sleeping on it and I still love it. So does my wife, I can lay in on the weekends and not get hip and back pain anymore.

It’s so hard to say how ‘firm it is’ because it’s only relevant to what I know. It’s certainly not like laying on a hard floor if that’s what you mean, not even close, and it has some give for the top layer. It just feels super supportive.
That’s great thank you. We’ve had the luxury for a couple of months now and again, the quality is outstanding however, it is just too soft which is causing hip pain. Do you have a topper?

Soldato
That’s great thank you. We’ve had the luxury for a couple of months now and again, the quality is outstanding however, it is just too soft which is causing hip pain. Do you have a topper?
We don’t, just a sheet. I suppose that is an option if you want some extra softness as a top layer.

Back
Top Bottom