Mattresses - I need knowledge

Soldato
Noted that most of the simba/duck etc. beds are now sold on amazon , so as opposed to the normal carefully curated reviews you can find some honest feedback/comments
(versus truspilot et co)

Associate
Has anyone had any of the artisan john ryan mattresses?

Sick of having a bad back and I'm thinking to be done with it abd buy a VISpribg but if I can save a few quid and get a like for like cheaper by using jogn ryan I may well

I have a super king artisan naturals, and it’s amazing. Comfiest mattress I’ve ever slept on.

Last edited:
Soldato
I need a new mattress and have no idea what to get, other than that I enjoyed lying on a cheap latex one in a bed shop a lot more than the memory foam ones I've tried but 30 seconds isn't enough to say too much... I suppose latex topped ones are going to be more affordable than all latex.

Associate
My god, buying a mattress has got to be the most mind numbing and complex purchase of my life. Somebody shoot me.

So we got a king size 5 years ago, can't remember what mattress it wasn't important but paid around £400. Roll on to today, we need a new one. I get a bit of backache and the current one has seen better days. So it's much more of a considered purchase.

So at first I looked at Simba, Eve, Casper, Leesa, <insert 500 other of these heavily marketed bed in a box brands>. Quickly decided against those. As much as I found them comfortable when trying out in store, I simply don't believe they'll hold up long term. Something not right about countless companies springing up claiming the mattress revolution, selling very similar products and drowning social media in advertising.

So a trip down Dreams and Benson for beds, again some perfectly comfortable mattresses but on further research it seems silent night are ones to avoid (plus their many other brands in store).

This is where I'm at the point of breaking point. There is simply no clear way for me to be able to identify a good and quality mattress brand. Closest I've got is a Healthbeds Memory Med 1400 from online threads I've looked at, around £550. (I'm 6ft3 and 18 stone, so needs to support my size. Wife allot smaller tho).

I looked at the Johns Design but again, I don't fancy dropping £1k on a mattress.

What a completely messed up industry mattresses is, how has nobody identified the opportunity in building a mass produced, well made and mid priced brand name. As the water is so muddy it desperately needs one.

God help me, might just sleep on the floor instead.

Last edited:
Soldato
What a completely messed up industry mattresses is, how has nobody identified the opportunity in building a mass produced, well made and mid priced brand name. As the water is so muddy it desperately needs one.

Like Simba, Eve, Casper, Leesa you mean? That you dismissed because you don't believe they'll hold up... (even though you're replacing the last one after 5 years anyway) :)

Associate
Like Simba, Eve, Casper, Leesa you mean? That you dismissed because you don't believe they'll hold up... (even though you're replacing the last one after 5 years anyway) :)

As I said (since you didn't read it...) Last mattress wasn't a considered purchase, just some random mattress. Isn't surprising it didn't last.

As for the new foam revolution and the many companies. I wouldn't consider them in anyway the industry recognised mid range quality option, just incredibly aggressively advertised and pumped like no other product on this earth (Read up about Sleepopolis and Casper lawsuit..) I'd love to be wrong about it though and happily consider them in years to come if the enthusiasm (and quality) is sustained. I just don't see it.

Associate
Yes, I'm just saying that's you creating the mattress market 'being a mess' because of your own beliefs.

It's a pretty commonly held view (least from what ive seen last few weeks). Just look at John Ryan by Design breakdown of companies and brand ownership, or the limited details on products to remove the consumers ability to easily compare like for like. Even worse the many "variants" of the same mattress rebadged by a different model or range name across several retailers.

How anyone can view the mattress industry in the UK as anything but needlessly complex is beyond me.

Soldato
That's fair enough, I personally didn't look into it in much detail. You get these mattress in a box that you can try for 100 days. I tried one, I found an issue with it, it went back nice and easy. I tried a Leesa and like it very much, so have kept it. There is nothing I have seen to make me think it wont last... (and I'm bigger and heavier than you ;) )

Associate
That's fair enough, I personally didn't look into it in much detail. You get these mattress in a box that you can try for 100 days. I tried one, I found an issue with it, it went back nice and easy. I tried a Leesa and like it very much, so have kept it. There is nothing I have seen to make me think it wont last... (and I'm bigger and heavier than you ;) )

Like you, I had no idea when I first looked into it all. Honestly it's a minefield and im still not 100%. In terms of memory foam mattresses I've found most recommend V60 or V85, allot of these newly sprung up box mattresses don't give a huge amount of detail and density may be an problem.

Issue for heavily people is that memory foam will lose its form eventually, over time the properties change and your weight, quality and density of the foam play a huge part in that. With the aggressive marketing it's hard to see the woods through the trees, so be interesting in 5+ years time on how people are getting on.

In terms of quality and well made mattresses, only ones I've seen that seen to get pretty consistent and much more expert based advice on have been John Ryan By Design, Vi Spring, Healthbeds, and Kaymed.

I do say this all with a big "but" though because as I originally said, it's so bloody complex it's hard to figure out.

Last edited:
Soldato

I'm actually tempted to try this for the team - still has the 100 night trial after all. 3 layers of 100% organic Dunlop latex (firm, medium, soft) which can be arranged inside the mattress cover according to preference. It's so new there's not much in the way of reviews though, it's still part of team 'bed in a box' too and obviously it's far more expensive than the memory foam ones...

Associate
I used to work for Vispring and was able to get their Elite mattress half of wholesale price whilst I worked there.

I would buy another at full price in a heartbeat, worth every penny.

Soldato
Issue for heavily people is that memory foam will lose its form eventually, over time the properties change and your weight, quality and density of the foam play a huge part in that. With the aggressive marketing it's hard to see the woods through the trees, so be interesting in 5+ years time on how people are getting on.
yes - people will forget beds used to last 10+ years, and start accepting that a £/6/700 replaced evey 5 years is a better deal than a £1K bed .. its Primark etc. cars , cliche of throaway society.

Also have to be aware what the margin and manufacturing cost are for the 'in a box'; hotuk today showing leesa's at £400 and pay what you think it's worth.

3 layers of 100% organic Dunlop latex
the linked page does not seem to announce Dunlop ? or are they hiding their light ...., had wondered if it was dunlopillo, which is expensive stuff, and pretty warm.
Organic natural latex foam, Global Organic Latex Standard (GOLS) certified

Soldato
yes - people will forget beds used to last 10+ years, and start accepting that a £/6/700 replaced evey 5 years is a better deal than a £1K bed .. its Primark etc. cars , cliche of throaway society.

Also have to be aware what the margin and manufacturing cost are for the 'in a box'; hotuk today showing leesa's at £400 and pay what you think it's worth.

the linked page does not seem to announce Dunlop ? or are they hiding their light ...., had wondered if it was dunlopillo, which is expensive stuff, and pretty warm.

In the FAQs:

Dunlop or Talalay method for making natural latex foam?
The original pure method to make natural latex foam is the Dunlop™ method (used since 1929).

Una only uses organic certified latex foam (in 3 firmnesses) that has been made according to this method. The Talalay method adds a step of flash freezing the mould of latex and adds some chemicals to stabilize the materials.

Some online articles suggest Talalay is softer than Dunlop latex. In fact Dunlop natural latex foam can be made soft, medium or firm depending how much air is injected in the foam making process

Back
Top Bottom