mATX case with side and top exhaust fans

Don
Code:
   Temperature 0        66 degC (150 degF) (Package (Node 0))
    Voltage 0        1.09 Volts (CPU VDD (Node 0))
    Voltage 1        1.42 Volts (VID #0)
    Voltage 2        1.42 Volts (VID #1)
    Voltage 3        1.38 Volts (VID #2)
    Voltage 4        1.42 Volts (VID #3)
    Power 00        42.74 W (Package)
    Power 01        2.17 W (Core #0)
    Power 02        10.27 W (Core #1)
    Power 03        3.40 W (Core #2)
    Power 04        2.23 W (Core #3)
    Power 05        18.57 W (Cores)
    Clock Speed 0        4292.93 MHz (Core #0)
    Clock Speed 1        4292.93 MHz (Core #1)
    Clock Speed 2        4292.93 MHz (Core #2)
    Clock Speed 3        4292.93 MHz (Core #3)
    Core 0 max ratio    (effective) 43.5
    Core 1 max ratio    (effective) 43.5
    Core 2 max ratio    (effective) 43.5
    Core 3 max ratio    (effective) 43.5

4.3Ghz/1.4V - So it isn't at idle then????

What Windows Power plan are you using, and what BIOS options have you changed?

Associate
OP
I'm not running any applications front end, whatever is running is in the background.

BIOS is default other than RAM voltage. I haven't touched the CPU.

I believe the power plan is balanced.

Associate
OP
Interesting project. The grills in your case are extremely restrictive. Punched metal grill with 3.2mm diameter holes on 6mm centers has 30% open area. Looking at your pics and assuming holes are about same 3.2mm diameter it looks like it has even less open area. End result is it will be hard to move much air quietly.

2x 80mm intakes in in side is probably best. Are bottom vents same hole pattern and big enough for 2x 80mm fans? If they are I think I would put 2x 80mm fans on them and raise case up so there is 25-30mm on sides from what case sets on to bottom of case for better airflow to vents. Even better would be to cut out bottom vents to 80mm round hole for 80mm vent grill like Silverstone make. https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=269&bno=61&tb=54&area=en

What is the best deal hole size of the holes are 3.2mm?

Associate
OP
Stock wraith prism in a tiny aerocool matx case, 2x120mm intake, 2x 120mm exhaust
Wow, what temperatures do you get when all apps like AV, Firewall etc are loaded and you browse the internet?

I'm really impressed with your temperatures.

I'm using Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste.

Don
Thermal paste is unlikely to be the issue.

Did you install the latest bios, windows updates and AMD drivers mentioned above?

Also might be worth taking some photos of bios settings and posting here so we can double check

Associate
OP
I have the latest BIOS and drivers. I don't know why but now I get a flickering display from boot until Windows loads so going into BIOS now isn't practically possible. I presume that means it is driver related and the display cannot work properly even though I used the same display without any flickering to configure BIOS and Windows only a few weeks ago.

Soldato
What is the best deal hole size of the holes are 3.2mm?
I assume you mean your grill has 3.2mm holes, but hole size is only part of it. Hole spacing is other part. Grill with 3,2mm holes on 4.8mm pitch has 40% open area. Grill with 3.2mm holes on 5.6mm pitch has 30% open area. Link below has more info about grills:
https://www.overclock.net/forum/22657923-post15.html

But even that is not all. When air flows through a grill it creates turbulence, and this turbulence also effects airflow lowering it even more. Open link below and scrowl down to how air goes round a round wire grill versus a punched hole grill.
https://www.silverstonetek.com/techtalk_cont.php?tid=wh_chessis&area=usa

I've just read an article about the best thermal pastes in 2020 and AS5 is still mentioned: https://nerdtechy.com/best-thermal-paste-reviews
Getting a good TIM seat and proper mounting pressure is way more important than what TIM you us. Of top 30-35 or so TIMs liquid metal ones are a 1-2c better, but also much harder to apply and get good set. Ends up many TIM applications cool no better than normal TIM because of bad seat.

Anyway, top 30 or so normal TIMs all transfer heat within a couple degrees of each other. So don't worry about what TIM you use. If you want to improve cooling, pay attention and get a case that flows air properly, comes with good high pressure rated case fans, then place the fans properly so case flows are as it should.

Thermal paste is unlikely to be the issue.

Did you install the latest bios, windows updates and AMD drivers mentioned above?

Also might be worth taking some photos of bios settings and posting here so we can double check
What Armageus said above.
Post screen shots of settings so members with same CPU can help you get things right.

Associate
OP
I have the latest BIOS and drivers. I don't know why but now I get a flickering display from boot until Windows loads so going into BIOS now isn't practically possible. I presume that means it is driver related and the display cannot work properly even though I used the same display without any flickering to configure BIOS and Windows only a few weeks ago.

Back
Top Bottom