Mazda 3 MPS owners here?

Soldato
OP
Car is back on the table, I didn't have to help with the financial issues of a family member and have money again :D

This is the one I looked at on Saturday and on the verge of getting it. The seller won't budge a penny and has only offered to add a 6 month warranty or up that to 12 months for another £100. Standard warranty that covers mechanical and electrical.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201806227750915

I have no plans to mod anything right now and it's completely standard which is fine for me, it feels like a fair price, would just like some other opinions.

Associate
whats the reg to check mot history?

69k miles, so if it's like the mk1 and 6, the VVT/chain could do with a change if you have no evidence to suggest it's done - so budget ~£600-700 for parts and labour (or over a k from Mazda).

Soldato
OP
whats the reg to check mot history?

69k miles, so if it's like the mk1 and 6, the VVT/chain could do with a change if you have no evidence to suggest it's done - so budget ~£600-700 for parts and labour (or over a k from Mazda).

I've done the history check, all the bits on the most recent one have been remedied and I can visually see these as well as having receipts present.

There's no excessive rattle on the chain, sounds the same as my old mk1, obviously noisier than a belt but nothing bad.

I can't find any conclusive info whether the mk2 suffers the same actuator/chain stretch issues the mk1 did, I know it's the same engine but i think it was remedied, maybe someone else knows.

Associate
Only way to correctly check the chain is to have cylinder 1 at tdc, I think.

I think the mk2 is better than the mk1 and 6, but I'm pretty sure I've read of some starting to zzb (whether stock or not, no idea tbh)... for piece of mind, I'd be wanting to change it - I know i did on my 6 when I had 1, just out of fear...

could try to argue the price a little if you point to evidence it's not been done tho?!?

Soldato
The MK2 does suffer from he VVT fault like the mk1.

The vvt actuator has three versions. The A, B and C models.

The 59-11 plates have been shown to have the A Actuator. So that's the same. Which a little common sense says the rest is too.

At 70k, it's due. No matter if it's rattling.

Soldato
OP
The MK2 does suffer from he VVT fault like the mk1.

The vvt actuator has three versions. The A, B and C models.

The 59-11 plates have been shown to have the A Actuator. So that's the same. Which a little common sense says the rest is too.

At 70k, it's due. No matter if it's rattling.

Balls, that changes things a little, thanks for the info.

Associate
i think the mk2 has a piston change that makes it less likely to catastrophically fail, like the typical mk1 (and 6mps) zzb, but if the VVT is effectively the same, it's still prone to chain-stretch and problems anyway.

The main problem with this and buying a mps - (afaik) Mazda don't specify a chain-changing interval, so a dealer needs to do research to believe any buyer's "well, the car needs £x to change the vvt, so drop the price a bit mate" comment...

Soldato
It's really annoying as Mazda are aware of the issue, hence why they made two further revisions of the VVT gear.

It's £630 at CJPerformance in Mansfield for a full VVT kit supplied and fitted.

Soldato
Which VVT Kit are they fitting?
Original Mazda or the junk from Parts guru on eBay

Official every time, normally around 350ish for the kit then labour
The genuine Mazda kit from VIP Motorsport. Which is £400 and includes everything required. Those fake kits are only £150... And would fall apart in a day

Back
Top Bottom