MCU to "Refocus” and Disney sinking faster than the Titanic (Starwars is dead Marvel is dead)

Soldato
Just how much money is there to be saved by pulling shows?
I guess like you said they can avoid paying royalties. And if they're not proving a draw to get more people to sign up to D+ perhaps they've worked out that they can make more money by selling the show to the next highest bidder. Or at least lease it.

Caporegime
I guess they will definitely save money on royalties, I recall reading about this a few months back. I just can't see them making much money selling shows to other channels/providers that have been proven to be unpopular.

Who would buy Willow and Making of Willow, a show that has been cancelled and was based off a crappy film from the 80s in the 1st place??!?!?!?!

rp2000

Caporegime
Yeah residuals is the main reason, it's part of the reason for the current writer's strike because companies can just make shows vanish now to avoid paying anybody like they used to have to with dvd boxsets and licensing to channels etc.

Caporegime
Some rumors floating about that Lucasfilm might be going up for sale. Obviously this has led to further rumors that Mr Lucas might be buying it back.

Could just be twitter rumors, could be interesting if true though!

Would be funny if he buys it back for less than he made on a sale.

Soldato
So this rumour hinges on the fact that Disney needs to make a decision on buying out Comcasts remaining share in Hulu by 2024. This remining share has a minimum value $9 billion. But could be worth up to $20 billion.

Hulu provides DTC streaming services and is owned 67% by the Company and 33% by NBC Universal (NBCU). In May
2019, the Company entered into a put/call agreement with NBCU that provided the Company with full operational control of
Hulu. Under the agreement, beginning in January 2024, NBCU has the option to require the Company to purchase NBCU’s
interest in Hulu and the Company has the option to require NBCU to sell its interest in Hulu to the Company, in either case at a
redemption value based on NBCU’s equity ownership percentage of the greater of Hulu’s then equity fair value or a guaranteed
floor value of $27.5 billion.

NBCU’s interest will generally not be allocated its portion of Hulu’s losses, if any, as the redeemable noncontrolling
interest is required to be carried at a minimum value. The minimum value is equal to the fair value as of the May 2019
agreement date accreted to the January 2024 estimated redemption value. At October 1, 2022, NBCU’s interest in Hulu is
recorded in the Company’s financial statements at $8.7 billion.

I couldn't see any indication in the financials that Disney has the cash in hand to make the minimum payment of $9 billion. So I could see assets being sold off to make the payment. Whether or not Lucasfilm will be sold to make this payment. We shall see.

Edit: They have 11.6 billion in cash, this went down by 4 billion YOY.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Disney loose two heads of departments in a short space of time. Head of finance and nowwww

Head of Diversity!!

Soldato
OP
Starwars is dead is Marvel now dead?

Massive cutbacks incoming? Some interesting things coming from Iger lately.

All those bad decisions finally coming home to roost.

Crap TV shows, Crap movies and no one held accountable. Would rather blame the fans not wanting to watch the ****.

Soldato
You would imagine that their stock-holders wouldn't be happy with these under-reported costs, meaning the loses would be more or the profits would be less.

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom