MCU to "Refocus” and Disney sinking faster than the Titanic (Starwars is dead Marvel is dead)

Man of Honour
As a side point to the above - and it’s as good place as anywhere to share it as anywhere I guess - if Critical Drinker is being presented as somebody who understands storytelling and narrative, I suggest someone who is much, much better and more balanced in his approach is Nerrel.

Warning: for swearing but nominal in the context of the whole vids

Here’s his thoughts on The Last Jedi (released before Rise of Skywalker) - spoiler, he likes it:

Here’s his thoughts on Rise of Skywalker - spoiler, he doesn’t like it:

<3 Nerrel

Last edited:
Suspended
It's that simple. There was no real friction between fans and the studios until woke activism reared its parasitical head...
It's social media IMO.

Years ago people were horrified that the short guy from Mr. Mom was cast as Batman and loads of letters were being sent to Warner Bros asking for them to recast it.

Now people can get on twitter and send a message complaining about things like that in less than a minute.

And you can watch YouTubers who tell you what they want to hear, or join a circle jerk thread on a forum of other like minded people....

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes it's just the fans, nothing whatsoever to do with these companies forcing their ideology into TV and movie scripts, casting choices and every aspect of an ip is it :rolleyes:
Sorry to break to you guys, i don't think anything is going to change content-wise unless they sack the Disney Writers and replace them with less woke writers.

Ones like Latoya Raveneau have an open LGBTQ+ agenda:

She and ones like her need to go

Soldato
Yeah, awful to be them

I'm curious, do you read you links before posting it? Or did you just assume that other people can't figure out how to navigate the website and wouldn't be able to find the more important data?

Suspended
I'm curious, do you read you links before posting it? Or did you just assume that other people can't figure out how to navigate the website and wouldn't be able to find the more important data?
The more important data being?

Disney net income for the quarter ending March 31, 2023 was $1.271B, a 170.43% increase year-over-year.

Disney net income for the twelve months ending March 31, 2023 was $4.121B, a 55.45% increase year-over-year.

Disney annual net income for 2022 was $3.145B, a 57.64% increase from 2021.

Man of Honour
Why is he "much, much better"?

Errr…. Because his approach to understanding the importance of storytelling and narrative is better. He’s much fairer. He’s also funnier. The videos themselves are well edited, of high effort and of high quality. Just generally a really good watch, hence my recommendation.

Last edited:
Soldato
Now people can get on twitter and send a message complaining about things like that in less than a minute.

And you can watch YouTubers who tell you what they want to hear, or join a circle jerk thread on a forum of other like minded people....

I blame woke ideology, that's the virus.

No-one tells me what to think, my views are my own and come from both sides of the spectrum on different issues. The alternative to thinking for myself is just pretend its not happening and join a circle jerk over terrible content...

Soldato
Errr…. Because his approach to understanding the importance of storytelling and narrative is better. He’s much fairer. He’s also funnier. The videos themselves are well edited, of high effort and of high quality. Just generally a really good watch, hence my recommendation.
You've just restated your opinion, admittedly with more detail. I was hoping you would explain it.

Why is his understanding of storytelling and narrative better. Do you have any examples?
I don't get the fairer thing, either you've done a good job of analysing the character and plot or you haven't. Okay there is some grey but Where does being fair come in?
Funnier is personal preference.
The other stuff is irrelevant.

Man of Honour
You've just restated your opinion, admittedly with more detail. I was hoping you would explain it.

Why is his understanding of storytelling and narrative better. Do you have any examples?
I don't get the fairer thing, either you've done a good job of analysing the character and plot or you haven't. Okay there is some grey but Where does being fair come in?
Funnier is personal preference.
The other stuff is irrelevant.

No, it wasn’t my opinion. I was actually stating your opinion.

:confused: :rolleyes:

Of course it’s all my opinion. You’re free to decide differently. I’m not going to argue over which YouTuber anyone prefers.

I’ve posted the vids (literally as a suggestion) on the basis that I think they are great vids, dealing with both the good and really bad stuff that Disney has done. Either watch them or don’t.

But for what it’s worth, his comments in the first video regarding how Empire Strikes Back would be viewed by modern audiences, and his closing comments in the second video regarding ‘scorched earth’ approaches to criticism that aren’t open to new approaches and risk, feel resoundingly true and very applicable to some of the posting that seems to frequent this forum recently.

Last edited:
Soldato
No, it wasn’t my opinion. I was actually stating your opinion.

:confused: :rolleyes:

Of course it’s all my opinion. You’re free to decide differently. I’m not going to argue over which YouTuber anyone prefers.
You started the "argument" (There is nothing to argue as you have not actually provided much in the way of reasoning). You claimed that he is much, much, better than CD. Probably not expecting anyone to question your use of hyperbolic language. Then when I asked for an explanation as to what makes him much, much, better you cannot go into proper detail and simply provide shallow reasoning.

I’ve posted the vids (literally as a suggestion) on the basis that I think they are great vids, dealing with both the good and really bad stuff that Disney has done. Either watch them or don’t.
I gave one of them a flick through to see how he reasons on certain things. I didn't bring that up because I don't care about changing your opinion on him or CD. I'm curious as to how you formed your opinion and what you saw that brought you to feel that way; but I don't even think you fully understand how you came to your own opinion, which is why you struggle to explain it. Or maybe you don't actually believe he is much, much, better. Either way I don't care, you clearly don't want to talk about it.

But for what it’s worth, his comments in the first video regarding how Empire Strikes Back would be viewed by modern audiences, and his closing comments in the second video regarding ‘scorched earth’ approaches to criticism that aren’t open to new approaches and risk, feel resoundingly true and very applicable to some of the posting that seems to frequent this forum recently.
Now that would be an interesting discussion, but you're probably not interested in such discussions.

Man of Honour
Jesus Christ. My evidence that it’s better is the actual videos - I believe they show a level of nuance and analysis far greater than many other YouTubers. I’m sharing his videos because I like them and think he deserves a wide audience. The content of those two videos is relevant to the thread, because it’s discussing Disney IP. I purport he’s doing this in an excellent way. Also in a balanced way, noting how he praises one film and derides the other.

Watch the vids or don’t, prefer one YouTuber or another, it’s totally up to you. But the expectation that I should front-load explain what I find great about 80 minutes of content that can be considered better by you by just watching the damn videos is just :o

If you said “I watched this vid and thought X or Y and also make this comparison to YouTuber Z” then that would actually be a worthwhile discussion.

Soldato
Decided to give the last jedi one linked above a view, don't agree at all nitefly. The humour didn't land at all, he also fundamentally doesnt understand multiple characters or their motivation. Personally I'm not sure he even understands people's complaints with the movie.

Each to their own though.

Man of Honour
Decided to give the last jedi one linked above a view, don't agree at all nitefly. The humour didn't land at all, he also fundamentally doesnt understand multiple characters or their motivation. Personally I'm not sure he even understands people's complaints with the movie.

Each to their own though.

Just for full context, in the second vid he then goes on to rip the Rise of Skywalker (and ultimately the whole trilogy) to pieces :p

I think his analyses of Luke and how the force has been used throughout the series (in the Last Jedi vid) are spot on, in particular. Also, in general his thoughts on how people can be critical but still need to be open to new approaches that don’t necessarily pander to entrenched approaches.

Fair play for giving it a whirl!

Last edited:
Soldato
My evidence that it’s better is the actual videos
Okay, so this video is going to so amazing, so awesome, so much, much better than CD's videos that I am going to get your line of thinking just by watching this video.

I believe they show a level of nuance and analysis far greater than many other YouTubers.

It only took 3 posts but I managed to get something of substance out of you. See it wasn't so hard.

Well I watch Mauler and the crew, I love nuance and anaylsis into film, I cannot wait, to see what this guy provides.

You've really set the bar quite high. Okay I'll watch the full thing. I'm going to put some socks on so that they can be blown away.

Disclaimer I haven't seen the last Jedi, but i have enjoyed watching videos dissecting it and going through all plot points and character detail. Thanks to Rian Johnson for my new appreciation in film and story telling.

Also in a balanced way, noting how he praises one film and derides the other.
That doesn't mean he is balanced. Actually that doesn't mean anything at all.

If you said “I watched this vid and thought X or Y and also make this comparison to YouTuber Z” then that would actually be a worthwhile discussion.
Oh really, you want to have a discussion of the merits of the video. Okay, I'll get back to you.

Back
Top Bottom