MCU to "Refocus” and Disney sinking faster than the Titanic (Starwars is dead Marvel is dead)

Soldato
Just had my Disney+ Renewal. It is going from £79.90/year to £109.90/year. That's a 37% increase.

Goodbye Disney!

That is a ridiculous jump especially on the year.... we renewed back in October. Annoyingly, we probably use it more than all of the other services. £80 is easier to swallow but £110 feels like something we'd have to think about.

Last edited:
Associate
I usually only sub for the minimal month time required to finish a "required viewing" show. And even then only for an "important" show. So Mandalorian, X-Men 97 for example. But anything else I'd want to watch needs to be watched along the times I'm subbed for those shows. I never hang around for long as there's not enough content that I'd want to watch, not for the prices needed; even the prices from before.

Soldato
OP
Bob says it’s not SuperHero Fatigue. I agree Bob it’s the **** your turning out.

“A lot of people think it’s audience fatigue, it’s not audience fatigue. They want great films. And if you build it great, they will come and there are countless examples of that. Some are ours and some are others’”

Last edited:

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
Looks like Captain Marvel 3 and Ant-Man 4 reportedly got pulled and wont be happening now. Not surprised the only movie.that was remotely a success in the last phase was GotG. MCU really needs to up their game before they tank big time.

Caporegime
Looks like Captain Marvel 3 and Ant-Man 4 reportedly got pulled and wont be happening now. Not surprised the only movie.that was remotely a success in the last phase was GotG. MCU really needs to up their game before they tank big time.
What is your measure for success that Spiderman, Doctor Strange and Shang Chi weren't successes?

Soldato
What is your measure for success that Spiderman, Doctor Strange and Shang Chi weren't successes?
Spiderman was a collaborative effort and released by Sony, it doesnt fall under the Disney umbrella. Strange 2 was a b.o. hit but the majority of folks have it strictly 'mid tier' of mcu films. Shang chi was a bomb, no one can dress it up otherwise.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Spiderman was a collaborative effort and released by Sony, it doesnt fall under the Disney umbrella. Strange 2 was a b.o. hit but the majority of folks have it strictly 'mid tier' of mcu films. Shang chi was a bomb, no one can dress it up otherwise.
Shang Chi was one of the top ten grossing movies of the year. It was a generally flat year overall. Hardly a flop. People need to stop looking at MCU films as flops if they don't top a billion or get close to it. Not ever MCU film will get there.

Soldato
OP
and the rest!!!

Won't be able to sleep at night knowing Eternals won't get a sequel!!

Soldato
Shang Chi was one of the top ten grossing movies of the year. It was a generally flat year overall. Hardly a flop. People need to stop looking at MCU films as flops if they don't top a billion or get close to it. Not ever MCU film will get there.
Shang chi has a reported budget of $150 million to $200 million.

That places the break even point in the region of $300 million to $400 million.

The box office is $432 million

Shang chi somewhere between financially passable and a flop.

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
Wait, just realised he's talking about Phase 5. We've only had 3 films so one being a success is hardly terrible.

I didnt say it was terrible but performed lower than their high expectations. So dont take that as a dig at them. Just pointing out the fact their latest batch of films have been sub par and could be better. I want them to succeed as much as anyone else.

Last edited:
Caporegime

The box office is $432 million

Shang chi somewhere between financially passable and a flop.
So it was profitable? Doesn't sound like a flop to me?

Soldato

I think the "old" metric of saying that 2x the budget is the break-even point has been surpassed by the newer metric of 2.5x to 3x the budget which is now classed as the break even point, as the original 2x metric apparently didn't take into account either the cinemas taking a share (upto 50%) of the final ticket price or, if it did, it missed out the marketing extras and therefore only covered 2 out of the 3 costs to a movie.

Matt Damon specifically covered this revised metric on Hot Ones where he said a £25m film needs to make £100m to be profitable (make £75m on a £25m budget) -

I talked to a studio executive who explained it was a 25 million dollar movie. I would have to put that much into print and advertising (P&A) to market it… so I’d have to put that in P&A, so now I’m in 50 million dollars. I have to split everything I get with the exhibitor, right, the people who own the movie theatres, so I would have to make a hundred million dollars before I got into profit

There's lots of other places reporting those same sorts of "3x budget required" figures now too -

It is usually estimated that a movie needs to make two or three times its budget to become profitable in Hollywood after marketing costs, splitting revenue with theaters, and more are factored in.

The old adage of ‘double your budget = break-even‘ is just not the case for most films in release.

The typical break-even point is around 2.5x the budget of the movie.

Back
Top Bottom