MCU to "Refocus” and Disney sinking faster than the Titanic (Starwars is dead Marvel is dead)

Soldato
I've said it before but I swear all the Disney shows and movies are just money laundering fronts given the budgets are crazy to begin with and yet always require millions more as time goes on. Mad

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I've said it before but I swear all the Disney shows and movies are just money laundering fronts given the budgets are crazy to begin with and yet always require millions more as time goes on. Mad

Considering the scope of these reported losses… maybe tbh. Not ‘laundering’ but certainly some tax trickery at work, I expect, to majorly dampen any damage.

No company would allow money to bleed out to these extents of naff products. It might be tempting to think “yeah but they are idiots” - nah, a big cut-throat mega corp is not going to mess around with playing numbers and squeezing the most out of every single relief and exemption available.

Suspended
Considering the scope of these reported losses… maybe tbh. Not ‘laundering’ but certainly some tax trickery at work, I expect, to majorly dampen any damage.

No company would allow money to bleed out to these extents of naff products. It might be tempting to think “yeah but they are idiots” - nah, a big cut-throat mega corp is not going to mess around with playing numbers and squeezing the most out of every single relief and exemption available.

It's in the article:

It is essentially a reduction in the value of an asset and this creates a loss on the company's balance sheet which reduces its tax bill. Disney has reported that its content purge has generated a $1.5 billion impairment charge which is precisely the happy ending it was looking for.

Man of Honour
It's in the article:

Thanks - I’m familiar with standard write off approaches, what I’m referring to is a more systemic ‘careful framing’ of losses (enabled by some unknown means) to make ‘best use’ of whatever internal tax set ups they have going.

I say this as the extent of sequential reported losses for them with their films and ‘overspending’ is absurd.

Caporegime

They are like the UK government of the film industry.

Just like those construction firms rubbing their hands for that big juicy government building contract the same for these big budget studios. Netflix are exactly the same now they have become big.

Man of Honour
The problem is that their efforts are largely **** and not people feeling they have to 'watch absolutely everything'..

Old comment but the need to invest time into it does put me off (not anything specifically, just speaking generally). It puts me off watching TV series and I far prefer films that are self-contained. Would I rather watch 6 films, or one series? Definitely the films, even if some of them are bad it will be a broader set of experiences.

Last edited:
Soldato
Pixar in the bin

Hold up, something ain’t adding up here. Pixar doesn’t churn out content for streaming, from my understanding, so they shouldn’t see any cuts.

Sounds like the reason Iger gave for the cuts is BS.

Soldato
Old comment but the need to invest time into it does put me off (not anything specifically, just speaking generally). It puts me off watching TV series and I far prefer films that are self-contained. Would I rather watch 6 films, or one series? Definitely the films, even if some of them are bad it will be a broader set of experiences.
I think the average length of a mcu series is approx 4 hours (or 2 films)

Back
Top Bottom