Meanwhile in Hong Kong....

Associate
I was saying Taiwan as a country are having a vote to decide if they support a party which is basically in bed with China.

From what my wife has explained to me it’s Taiwan’s version of Brexit e.g very much split and people losing friends over it.

Again though, they had the same vote 4 years ago (when it was claimed Tsai would declare independence and China would invade if she won), and another 4 years before that (where Ma was re-elected, and he's even been in the press recently explicitly saying Taiwan should be open to unification), and will have another in 4 more years. It always tends to divide families, my in-laws are as blue as they come and will vote for Han this time around regardless, while my partner isn't telling them she won't support him because of the fallout it'd cause. It's a bit more heated because of the backdrop of HK, mixed feeling towards Tsai's domestic and cross-strait policies, and the fact that Han's popularity is, to me at least, utterly inexplicable. And a bunch of other things too, obviously.

Anyway, the best link I can make to Brexit would be that it'd be attempting to solve a single issue with an election, but surely no one would do that :p

RxR

RxR

Soldato
Dowie, I have personal reasons for providing less enabling information - that being my having been a victim of crime committed by one of the parties in the dispute.

On reason for mentioning an alternative approach to the dispute is possible, that's an alternative opinion.

Caporegime
Dowie, I have personal reasons for providing less enabling information - that being my having been a victim of crime committed by one of the parties in the dispute.

On reason for mentioning an alternative approach to the dispute is possible, that's an alternative opinion.

I didn't ask you to provide personal information, I was just looking for clarification re: what you were trying to say. Your posts were a bit cryptic.

Caporegime
OP
Authorities will always send in agent provocateurs to try to turn public opinion against any protests and dissuade others from joining them, particularly when they're on this scale. You highlight a few unsavoury incidents that you've caused to happen yourself and you can make the whole movement look rotten.

Caporegime
Free speech in Hong Kong, sure... That argument does not apply. The fact is that nobody can trust information coming from Hong Kong, so it's of no value.

RxR

RxR

Soldato
There is more international credit / sympathy to be gained by resolving the situation amicably than any amount of money and 'agency use' in continuing to discredit the weaker party (hong kongers).

e: Since any decision to resolve the situation amicably resides with the head man, failure to do so provides clear insight into that mind. As he is an engineer by training, one would expect perhaps an outcome that can achieve that within the constraints of the situation.

e: Shakespeare led the way well enough for others to learn from, simply by the title of one of his earliest plays:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/All's_Well_That_Ends_Well

That, I made sure my kids understand. As a logician, the surface proof is easy:

Is all ill that ends ill?

Last edited:
Caporegime
I'm not sure the violence helps their cause either.

Let's face it nobody is going to liberate them from China :p

A lot of commentators saying the two-systems policy is now effectively over after this.

Caporegime
I'm not sure the violence helps their cause either.

Let's face it nobody is going to liberate them from China :p

A lot of commentators saying the two-systems policy is now effectively over after this.

It was effectively over anyway, the people of Hong Kong and Kowloon were victims in 1997 and they'd have still been victims in 2047, the middle class and up have fooled themselves in the comfort of either knowing they'd be dead by then or figuring capitulation was easier to live with.

The sooner reality hits, the better it will be in the long run as far as i'd be concerned. Maybe they'll eventually rid themselves of their shackles along with the rest of China, but that seems unlikely, either way the choice is simply a matter of time. The more they're forced to interact with the Chinese control measures, the more they're going to have to admit to themselves the truth of their situation.

Honestly though, the UK should just offer permanent residency to those that want it like it should have done at the start, these people are highly educated and would be a great boon along the roller coaster we're on as a country. It would also instantly repair our global standing, except with China, but who cares about them anyway. Of course this wont happen because the scary Communists would moan about it and we'd run away as per usual, just being a 156 year 'one night swing' where we were happy to use them for our enrichment until we couldn't protect it anymore.

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong...raceful-pre-handover-efforts-deny-nationality

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom