• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Melted CableMod 4090 90 degree adapter

Associate
Got my GPU back today :D

It has the original 12VHPWR connector ( H+) for anyone wondering so no luck having the new style fitted but i was expecting that anyway rather than the upgrade. Kris has done a good job on the connector and ihave taken some pics below , he didn't cheap out on thermal pads either and fitted Gelid ultimate to the memory modules and back of the GPU but i have removed them as they are a nightmare on a watercooled 4090 ( overcooled memory, not good ) ... reapplied Liquid Metal and recut a load of EK pads ( hate this part ) and all reassembled ready to be refitted tomorrow . Fingers crossed that's the end of that :cry:

20230920-190245.jpg

20230920-190259.jpg

20230920-190157.jpg

20230920-190323.jpg

20230920-204906.jpg

20230920-212218.jpg

Man of Honour
And I've said it before and will say it agian, sack off any third party adapter/cable idea and use the PSU maker's direct cable like the Corsair HVPWR 600W. Yet to see a single one of those melt, all of the melting is from the cablemods or Nvidia adapters. The Nvidia ones you can see why, such a stupid design and 4 cables going into one tiny connector. Cablemod ones just seemed suspect from day 1, and look where we are now (the above recall).

If your PSU maker doesn't have such a cable offering, buy a new PSU.

Associate
And I've said it before and will say it agian, sack off any third party adapter/cable idea and use the PSU maker's direct cable like the Corsair HVPWR 600W. Yet to see a single one of those melt, all of the melting is from the cablemods or Nvidia adapters. The Nvidia ones you can see why, such a stupid design and 4 cables going into one tiny connector. Cablemod ones just seemed suspect from day 1, and look where we are now (the above recall).

If your PSU maker doesn't have such a cable offering, buy a new PSU.
Corsair one has melted aswell, owner is on overclockers.net but said didn't damage the connection just melted the actual plug .. smelt burning etc ... none of them I repeat none of them are safe as the issue is the plug itself rather than what cable gets plugged in . It should have never been fitted to a gpu period, terrible design :o

Soldato
Cablemod has now issued a recall of all 90 degree adapters. These adapters have a design flaw that causes the adapter to come loose, causing high resistance resulting in the adapter overheating and melting

Soldato
Corsair one has melted aswell, owner is on overclockers.net but said didn't damage the connection just melted the actual plug .. smelt burning etc ... none of them I repeat none of them are safe as the issue is the plug itself rather than what cable gets plugged in . It should have never been fitted to a gpu period, terrible design :o

I've been using the Corsair cable with my Corsair PSU since the day the 4090 launched in October 2022, zero issues boys going strong

Last edited:
Associate
I've been using the Corsair cable with my Corsair PSU since the day the 4090 launched in October 2022, zero issues boys going strong
That's nice although doesn't make or mean it's immune from happening... it has happened before and very much can / will happen again . The reason we have not seen as many corsair cables melted is simply due to the % sold vs cablemod which will work on every card and psu where as the corsair ones are just for corsair psu but regardless they can very much still melt just luck of the draw if it happens or not. Issue is with the plug itself imoso no matter what you are plugging in be it a cablemod, corsair, seasonic , nvidia adapter, modify cable etc etc they all have melted one way or another, issue with connector not company making these cables .

Associate
The card is perfectly fine, it's the 12VHPWR connector that is the primary issue and that's something Intel created, and then revised a year or so later.

In the end though if it is Nvidi'a product it is Nvidia's responsiblity to ensure the cable was fit for purpose. If I buy a I Bosch washing machine and one of the components is faulty and it's made by a third party, and I later find out there's a recall on the line because the component was sub-standard and not fit for purpose it's Bosch's responsibility - it's their product.

Soldato
The card is perfectly fine, it's the 12VHPWR connector that is the primary issue and that's something Intel created, and then revised a year or so later.

Indeed, I know it’s not Nvidia’s standard but Nvidia haven’t exactly been open about it. I don’t like the fact that it’s a blatant weakness on something so expensive.

Associate
Same here with Corsair cable, as I just checked yesterday (removed whole card for cleaning etc.) and it's all fine so far, 0 damage on either side. Still gives me a bit of an anxiety really, which shouldn't be happening with such expensive products.

Last edited:
Associate
Same here with Corsair cable, as I just checked yesterday (removed whole card for cleaning etc.) and it's all fine so far, 0 damage on either side.

Yeah and that's all you can do really is check it every so often and make sure it is fully seated and not at any funny angles but even then it still has the potential to melt , as i put above the reason we don't see as many corsair cables melted is probably due to the cablemod version outselling them on a big ratio like 30/1 urgo we see a lot more cablemod cables and particularly the 90 deg adapters melting ( which will add a point of resistance as posted above on an already dodgy connector:rolleyes: ) but at this point pretty much every version of a cable has melted afaik . The 12VHPWR just needs to go in the bin as it is not fit for purpose in the slightest and far to fussy for what it is , the old 8 pin design worked perfectly and was pretty much fool proof as it should be unlike what we have now. I was mining with a few cards and had cablemod extenders on some etc and although left on for over a whole year not one single issue at all and that is how it should be when it comes to power cables ...

Anyway for what its worth i am now using a 90 deg cablemod all in one cable and so far so good showing a very low vdroop at load remaining at 12.1v, it gets checked every few weeks when i give the inside a dust down but i am under no illusion and very much aware that it also has the potential to melt again albeit was using an adapter last time but still we know they happily melt without the use of an adapter :rolleyes:

20231030-183206.jpg

Soldato
I've had 2 cablemod cables. The first black screened 100% fan spin my 4090FE the second after ran fine. Took it out and using the Nvidia adapter as heard if that melts Nvidia will accept rma. Have a Corsair RM1000X psu and I also have a corsair 12vhpwr cable which to me seems the worst quality of the lot so never used.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom