Mercedes Benz and AMG Owners

Soldato
Yeah, I can get 40mpg from my decade old 3.5L V6 M272 on a long run if I'm careful, but 30-35mpg if I'm not, so I would expect much more from a new engine design tbh.

Daily commuting in stop start traffic/country A roads is 25mpg.

Soldato
I’m a big Mercedes fanboy as anyone who knows my car history can see, so I love the e43, but I actually don’t find that fuel economy very impressive to be honest. Down at a 3l 6pot, mid to high 30s have been achievable at that speed for a good couple of decades. (I’m actually thinking about my various 3.0 BMW’s now - I’ve not had a 3.0 petrol merc). :)

Oh I’m not saying it’s great hence saying it was even worse considering it was a v6 compared to your v8. My last petrol car which was quite a long time ago was my 200SX which gave about 20mpg. My last 3 cars have been 3l 6 pot diesels which obviously gave better mpg but not considerably better.

Soldato
Yeah, I can get 40mpg from my decade old 3.5L V6 M272 on a long run if I'm careful, but 30-35mpg if I'm not, so I would expect much more from a new engine design tbh.

Daily commuting in stop start traffic/country A roads is 25mpg.

I don’t suppose it has 400bhp though and I don’t think the 4matic helps consumption either but yes 40mpg from a 3.5l is pretty good

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Still miles different on emissions
Really? Same/similar fuel burn, both cat equipped.

Where petrol engines have actually advanced is the insane power levels we enjoy these days, that old 4.3 had just 275hp which seems laughable these days.

Caporegime
Really? Same/similar fuel burn, both cat equipped.

Where petrol engines have actually advanced is the insane power levels we enjoy these days, that old 4.3 had just 275hp which seems laughable these days.
Yes PM and NOx requirements are much lower now. Emissions are more than just CO2.

Hence the earlier comment about cleaner now despite similar mpg.

Associate
Manufacturers have had to go the Forced induction route, which obviously makes a huge improvement to power, efficiency and emissions at the cost of simplicity.

I have a hazy memory of working on a Brabus w140 (back in the 1990s) with the 7.3 V12, something like 580bhp iirc.

Soldato
I don’t suppose it has 400bhp though and I don’t think the 4matic helps consumption either but yes 40mpg from a 3.5l is pretty good

270bhp NA (or 306bhp with the later direct injection version), so with twin turbos added and tuning I'm sure it wouldn't be too far away from 400bhp. Probably wouldn't manage 25mpg long term average though :p I think the real improvements over the past ten years is mostly in emissions, at the expense of everything else.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
On my quest for a Golf replacement I’d discounted a C63 previously but ended up driving one yesterday, it’s now my top choice.

Only spanner in the works is lease co have given me a good price to buy the Golf, and I do really like it, so now not sure what to do.

The C63 was nice though (2016 saloon), lovely noise as expected, nice and comfy, felt like it went ok as well :)

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
Still can’t choose, I have a week left to take up the purchase offer on the Golf :/

Dealer has given me some discount on the C63 but not as much as I want so playing the waiting game there, but finding it very hard to decide as the Golf has been so damn good at what it does :/

Man of Honour
Any one have any advice for Park Pilot? I have it on my C43 but I was trying for about half hour tonight to get a successful park and it just kept trying to park in the most ridiculous non existant spaces ever. And it would never work in parallel parking, just wouldn’t pick anything up.

I watched some videos and I don’t have the Park Pilot button, I just get the P come up on my dashboard, I press Ok on my wheel and put it in reverse and then it attempts to park. Whereas in the videos, people are pressing a button that brings up something to visually scan for spaces on the screen

alx

alx

Soldato
Hoping someone has experience with the W204 (facelift - 2013 car) and streaming music via Bluetooth using Spotify (Android phone). I assume it's possible, but can you use the controls on the steering wheel to change track etc and does any track info get displayed on the interface screen?

Back
Top Bottom