Merge in turn vigilantes

Caporegime
I see this so much. Lane blocking is almost always a truck, and professional drivers really should know better than to use their vehicles as a rolling road block in that scenario.

Pretty sure they do this deliberately to remove the risk of some plank trying to get past at the last second and ending up under their wheels, I see buses do it all the time too, @Scania care to comment?

Soldato
I don't get it. It's a team effort, motoring, and everyone should respect other users of the road and try to make room for them – even more so when it's a requirement of that particular road layout.

Welcome to modern society in general - no one gives a toss about anyone but themselves.

Man of Honour
The zipper merge is widely illustrated online, and IMO it should be driven into learner drivers' minds early on as well, although most of the time it's older people who fail at merge in turn, and sad to say it, but a lot of women drivers too when I come cross merge-fails.

It should also be made into law. Some countries have made it illegal to incorrectly use merge in turn lanes haven't they?

Soldato
Pretty sure they do this deliberately to remove the risk of some plank trying to get past at the last second and ending up under their wheels, I see buses do it all the time too,
^ This, pretty much.
The rule is merge in turn, not speed to the front at 80mph to get past the two cars that are pootling at 30, before attempting to force your way past and then in front of the third before you get hit by the oncoming... The fact there's so little traffic that you can hoon up to 80 in a 30 should tell you there's no need to force a 'merge' in the first place. That kind of mentality causes the traffic problems that the merges are supposed to solve.
Oh, and woe betide any bike in a merge - they take up less space, so should clearly move aside and let more traffic in from the right, of course.... !!!

Associate
The most annoying scenario is when a lane is closed up ahead and a sign stating the lane is closing in 1000 yards and every driver immediately uses the other lane, even when signs state use both lanes, even so called 'professional' drivers don't understand, then everyone thinks your a queue jumper if you use this lane overtaking everyone, they don't understand that what there actually doing is causing a longer delay for everyone.

Soldato
It's just the age-old "us vs them" mentality of road use, and it saddens me. Why people can't just be cooperative in the art of making good progress, I don't know. The way some people behave behind the wheel of their cars makes me wonder how they actually have an IQ high enough to legitimately obtain a driving license. Absolutely moronic behaviour ranging from what the OP has described, to actual physical road rage. It makes me despair.

I love all aspects of driving and I love improving my skills; it's such a shame that most of the general public view it with an entirely selfish mindset as a necessity and not a privilege with a skillset which has a very high ceiling.

Last night I was on my home from work using a different, unfamiliar route due to some roadworks. I was sitting in the left lane at a traffic light-controlled junction and I managed to miss the 'left turn' green light to the extent that the car behind me gave a quick horn blast. I was angry at myself for being complacent and it was only a teeny tiny little harmless mistake, never mind one that actually puts lives at risk.

Man of Honour
I get this, one of the main roundabouts as I leave work has a merge in turn and no matter what folk just block thinking your just queue skipping. I currently drive a Volvo so I reckon I'd come off better anyway!

Man of Honour
It would require a massive sea change in most of Britain's mindset sadly. So many people on our roads see it as their job to police those roads which is all well and good if they have an inkling of knowledge of the highway code. Instead they tend to be from a certain mould, with a certain look which I like to call Harrold Shipman. These people are a genuine issue for this country, they live alone or with 'Ethel' and all they have in their life is to tell people what they are doing wrong, usually when they are themselves wrong....oh and to murder people and bury their bodies etc.

Associate
I think if it's a legitimate lane merging situation then fine, merge in turn is what I'd expect.

But most of the time I see problems is with motorways, so where you've got a lane closure. Whilst most drivers will see the three overhead warnings that the lane is closed and move into the open lanes, there's always someone that floors it until they reach whatever the obstacle is (i.e. cones and traffic police) and then tries to force their way into the open lane.

That always drives me crazy... if a lane is closed you shouldn't be flooring it down there until the last possible second.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Oh, and woe betide any bike in a merge - they take up less space, so should clearly move aside and let more traffic in from the right, of course.... !!!
It's always fun when they try and merge on top of you and then when you boot it to get out from the ever shrinking gap between the side of their car and the kerb they beep and flash you like you're the self pleasurer.

Soldato
That always drives me crazy... if a lane is closed you shouldn't be flooring it down their until the last possible second.
Where you get the 600, 400, 200m warnings, one would assume that's advance warning giving you time and hints to get into the open lanes before traffic snarls up...

It's always fun when they try and merge on top of you and then when you boot it to get out from the ever shrinking gap between the side of their car and the kerb they beep and flash you like you're the self pleasurer.
You mean boot it, as in boot the side of their car, ja.....?
Certainly if I'm in traffic that is busy enough to be merging, especially with a banker trying to sideswipe me rather than racing ahead, that means I also have no room to go forward... and if I so much as blip my throttle I risk firing myself into the car in front.

Soldato
I think if it's a legitimate lane merging situation then fine, merge in turn is what I'd expect.

But most of the time I see problems is with motorways, so where you've got a lane closure. Whilst most drivers will see the three overhead warnings that the lane is closed and move into the open lanes, there's always someone that floors it until they reach whatever the obstacle is (i.e. cones and traffic police) and then tries to force their way into the open lane.

That always drives me crazy... if a lane is closed you shouldn't be flooring it down their until the last possible second.
What difference does it make to you?

Soldato
Had some roadworks on a 2 lanes dual carriageway for about a year here recently, signs for 800 yards warning of lane closing and to use both lanes, ***** driving a Sainsbury's lorry decided to straddle both lanes at the 800 yards mark at almost standstill traffic, I leaned on the horn for over a minute, and when there was space on the inside on a flyover, I got past. I just don't understand some people, I always use the closing lane, that's what it's there for.

Soldato
OP
Had some roadworks on a 2 lanes dual carriageway for about a year here recently, signs for 800 yards warning of lane closing and to use both lanes, ***** driving a Sainsbury's lorry decided to straddle both lanes at the 800 yards mark at almost standstill traffic, I leaned on the horn for over a minute, and when there was space on the inside on a flyover, I got past. I just don't understand some people, I always use the closing lane, that's what it's there for.
Last time a truck did this I photographed it and sent it to their employer. I know I shouldn't be using a phone behind the wheel but if I'm stopped... meh :p

I was watching some UK dashcam channel last night on youtube and it was full of people leaning on the horn, flashing their lights, effin and jeffin like a good 'un when half the time the "guilty" party did nothing more than be infront of the camera car. It seems like these people think that a£60 Nextbase camera makes them judge and jury when it comes to motoring when the reality is that theydon't really have a clue and clearly have anger issues.

Last edited:
Soldato

Making the most of the available space. Seems sensible to me.

Soldato
What difference does it make to you?
In theory, it makes no difference, assuming you match traffic speed on approach to the merge... but people rarely do that.

In practice, they floor it and then try to hoof their way in at the front, forcing all the traffic they've just passed to slow down and make room for this one car... and yes, it's usually some BMW driving twonk called Nige with the in-ear bluetooth headset and their "outDOOR, REflective, sun-GLASSES"!!
At best, it slows the traffic down, at worst they sideswipe someone or nip into an HGV blind spot and get squished.

Back
Top Bottom