Metal Gear Solid. The Phantom pain.

Meh, as long as it unlocks in the early hours, just before I wake up at 6am to get ready for work i'm happy, i'll download it so its ready to be played when I get home, not that i really need to leave my PC running on an 80meg connection.

Some people have waited years for this mate, so I think they have a right to be ****ed, it's ridiculous really.

Probably Hideo Kojima queer sense of humour.

Hardly justification.

I can afford to wait til the price drops because frankly i just don't care about this instant reward/gratification crap anymore.

Last edited:
Man I hate Ground Zeroes. Half the missions aren't even Stealth, they are run and gun missions

Not sure I agree with you there. Only the operative rescue mission is obviously actiony, all the rest can be played completely stealthily.

While the hard difficulty is fine, certain things are near impossible due to the lack of a silenced gun to start. In classified intel acquisition, there's a camera guarding the tape which you need to shoot. S rank requires some luck and sneaking in when the camera is perfect.

Obviously, you always have the tranquilliser in every mission. But anyway, I can't remember but can't you just shut off the bases power to disable that camera? Or can't you unlock the silent SMG?

There's also the disadvantage of no high ground to find out where all the enemies are.

Well, there are plenty of high spots to get a decent overview of your surrounding area so really don't know what you mean here. If you need extra height, on top of watch towers you can actually get up on their roofs as well.

The Kojima rescue mission is just a massive turret segment and is impossible to complete without dying on hard.

Not true at all, in fact it was one of the first I S ranked I think.

7rF3GQum.jpg

You just need to memorise enemy placement and be intelligent about when to pick them off in terms of what gives you a steady shot. Plus if you don't care about kill counts, the under-barrel grenade launcher makes even easier as you don't really need to think about aiming at all. I've heard some use auto aim for this segment, but I have stuck to manual and it is still very doable.

Jamais Vu seems okay at first, but then turns into a massive gunfight.

You take out all the regular enemies in phase one, then set some C4 at the main gate to the admin building and grab the rocket launcher before activating phase 2. One guard up top with a rocket launcher, headshot him. 4 guards come out at first, easy to take them out again without them even noticing you. 2 guards from the rear with rocket launchers arrive, then the helicopter takes one hit. Next another swarm of enemies arrive from the main gate, detonate the C4. The helicopter comes back, two shots from your rocket launcher and its done. Get on the chopper.

This all feels pretty stealthy and badass to me, since you can do it without anyone actually noticing you. Very Big Boss, which is the important thing.

Obviously, you always have the tranquilliser in every mission. But anyway, I can't remember but can't you just shut off the bases power to disable that camera? Or can't you unlock the silent SMG?

The way I completed this mission for S rank was to jump out of the van right at the start, look in the little concrete guard post to find smoke grenades which will allow you to grab the tape while avoiding the camera. You can then jump straight down and get in the truck you would have come in to leave and complete the mission.

I found that the missions were very well designed for a well timed stealth solution, while still remaining flexible enough for some variety.

Back
Top Bottom