Metal Gear Solid. The Phantom pain.

Suspended
Man I feel sorry for you's who haven't touched any of the games :(

Do yourselves a favour and play them! if you have a PS3/Xbox 360 you can get the HD collection which includes:

Metal Gear Solid 2 : Sons of Liberty
Metal Gear Solid 3 : Snake Eater
Metal Gear Solid : Peace Walker (PSP Release)

Metal Gear Solid can be obtained for a PSX emulator if you so wished, this is where you start really, it's a fantastic game.

Soldato
The original metal gear solid was released on pc too. So if you can find it, it'll run on anything. I had it a few years ago on my old esprimo laptop. Ran 60fps at full res :p

Associate
Man I feel sorry for you's who haven't touched any of the games :(

Do yourselves a favour and play them! if you have a PS3/Xbox 360 you can get the HD collection which includes:

Metal Gear Solid 2 : Sons of Liberty
Metal Gear Solid 3 : Snake Eater
Metal Gear Solid : Peace Walker (PSP Release)

Metal Gear Solid can be obtained for a PSX emulator if you so wished, this is where you start really, it's a fantastic game.

Annoyingly when I bought the HD collection a few years ago Peace Walker wasn't included, they added it in later :p, had to buy it separately. Still worth it though, PSP graphics obviously but I liked the new base building format. Phenomenal soundtrack as well.

Associate
I might put Phantom Pain off for a bit and get the others finished first. I've got my head into too many games just now to even consider buying the HD Collection!

Caporegime
Gamescom mother base video :D

I wonder if it's possible to play it without recruiting anyone or bothering with the base at all?

To me that doesn't appeal. MGS core gameplay is not base building, and it doesn't look like something I'd be interested in.

If it's indeed possible to play through without any of that fluff, then either it's going to be more difficult - but doable - or the base thing is just a gimmick.

I just don't see the need for it, is all.

I guess what I'm saying is that this MGS seems to be the least MGS-like game in the series. It's gone off in a tangent, completely.

Soldato
I believe you can play through the story missions skipping all the side stuff but the games strength lies in its replayability, completing all the side missions, challenges and such.

It's certainly different in structure from the other games though.

Caporegime
If it's indeed possible to play through without any of that fluff, then either it's going to be more difficult - but doable - or the base thing is just a gimmick.

its not really a gimmick its what big boss was famous for, trying (repeatedly) to build a country for discarded soldiers like himself.

Caporegime
its not really a gimmick its what big boss was famous for, trying (repeatedly) to build a country for discarded soldiers like himself.

It could still be a gameplay gimmick, regardless, even if it ties in with the story.

Besides, an oil rig isn't exactly a country ;)

I still can't work out if this is going to be a huge disappointment, or a surprise hit (with myself). There's a lot of stuff, like the fulton, like the health regen, etc, that just doesn't sit well with me. The base building I'm indifferent towards, but doubt I'll be paying much attention to it.

Caporegime
Hope its better then number 4. One of the worst games I have ever played.

Haha, I've pretty much expunged it from my memory, it seems. The only bits I seem to be able to remember are the cut scenes with Raiden in them.

I think the stand out of that game was how terrible the plot had become. The actual game wasn't all that bad. Or I just don't remember if it was :p

Contrast that with my much stronger memories of 1 and 3, which are pretty much all positive. Three was amazing.

Sadly I can't replay any of them, due to not owning the hardware any more. **** console exclusives.

Caporegime
Hope to pick this up cheap from someone who has bought two GFX cards on MM soon.

I only have a PC and there's one other MGS game to play which looks awful from the steam pictures..

Both MGS1 and 2 are available for PC.

If you were to overlook either (but esp 1) because of the graphics, that would be a grave mistake.

Associate
If it was me, and i hadn't played a single game.. i'd try and cram 1, 2, 3 and 4 in before release. its pretty doable. (3 was by far the best game out of the lot by the way)

thankfully i've done them all (well, the major releases anyways) :D

For story purposes

1964 – MGS 3 Snake Eater
1970 – MGS Portable Ops
1974 – MGS Peace Walker
1975 – MGS Ground Zeroes
1984 – MGS The Phantom Pain
1995 – Metal Gear
1999 – Metal Gear 2 Solid Snake
2005 – MGS (aka "1")
2007/09 – MGS 2 : Sons of Liberty
2014 – MGS 4 Guns of the Patriots
2016/18 – MGS Rising: Revengeance

If they'd remake Metal Gear + Metal Gear 2 Solid Snake (not to be confused with Metal Gear Solid) you'd have a pretty outstanding collection there

Suspended
My advice would get metal gear for GameCube and use dolphin emulator works perfectly now replayed it about 2 years ago. Amazing game with ps2 graphics

See I would advise against that as the twin snakes does not.live up to the original.

no links with swearing please!

Haha, I've pretty much expunged it from my memory, it seems. The only bits I seem to be able to remember are the cut scenes with Raiden in them.

I think the stand out of that game was how terrible the plot had become. The actual game wasn't all that bad. Or I just don't remember if it was :p

Contrast that with my much stronger memories of 1 and 3, which are pretty much all positive. Three was amazing.

Sadly I can't replay any of them, due to not owning the hardware any more. **** console exclusives.

You can play 1,2,3 on the via emulators etc, even the PSP releases too.

Last edited:
Suspended
Pcsx2 is stable with mgs 2 and 3 I was getting 1080p 45fps up to 60fps most of the time. Depends on your CPU.

MGS 1 can be run on the crappiest of spec machines as it runs on the ps1 emulator. Even my android phone can run ot flawlessly lol.

Back
Top Bottom