Metro Last Light - Thread

Soldato
Pre ordered this on GMG with £2 credit used, 25% discount code and got it for £24.25 it's £26.25 otherwise with code but it said game is released 31st Jan once order completed which I hope is true.:p

Soldato
Metro: Last Light pulled from GameStop’s digital store front

Metro: Last Light has been pulled from GameStop’s digital store front, Impulse. The firm’s VP Matt Hodges told Gamespot the move was to protect consumers in the wake of THQ’s financial issues and “uncertainty of delivery.” Customers can no longer pre-purchase the game digitally, and those who have already done so, can contact GameStop customer service for a refund. Physical pre-orders remain available, as customers can always shift the pre-order over for another game through the retailer. However, it’s unknown at press time if this option will be pulled as well in the future.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/01/18/metro-last-light-pulled-from-gamestops-digital-store-front/

AzZ

AzZ

Associate
Looking forward to this, really hope it comes out without any delays. Enjoyed the atmosphere in the first one and the E3 demo looked fantastic- especially the outside environment.

Permabanned
OP
Metro: Last Light pulled from GameStop’s digital store front

Metro: Last Light has been pulled from GameStop’s digital store front, Impulse. The firm’s VP Matt Hodges told Gamespot the move was to protect consumers in the wake of THQ’s financial issues and “uncertainty of delivery.” Customers can no longer pre-purchase the game digitally, and those who have already done so, can contact GameStop customer service for a refund. Physical pre-orders remain available, as customers can always shift the pre-order over for another game through the retailer. However, it’s unknown at press time if this option will be pulled as well in the future.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/01/18/metro-last-light-pulled-from-gamestops-digital-store-front/

I wouldn't worry too much about that. Origin have now added the digital game to their store as pre-order so that should have more of a say than Gamestop.

Associate

Whilst that sucks,
Sega agreed to purchase Relic (Company of Heroes) ,Koch Media has agreed to purchase Metro property, Crytek has agreed to buy Homefront
still hope left some exiting Ips

Also i think I'm right in saying Sega purchase Relic, who own Homeworld, so Sega get the Homeworld IP? Afaik, the homeworld ip is/was up for grabs in the THQ auction

Edit: So basically that means that the people behind Rome:TW (Creative Assembly) now have the rights to Homeworld ip...could be big...

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
I've posted some questions over at Deep Silver Forums, I hope they will answer them.

Hi,

Now that the Metro IP has been acquired by Deep Silver, could a representative answer the following questions please raised by the 'Metro' community?

1) What is the release date for the game? (March 2013 was the previous release date)
2) Is the game still multi-platform? (PC, PS3, XBOX 360)
3) Will you be supporting/funding/expanding 4A studios?
4) Will you be taking aboard any of the THQ staff who were involved with Communications and Social Media of Metro Last Light?
5) Will you be offering the same pre-order incentives or will this change?
6) What will happen to existing pre-orders placed on Steam or 3rd Party e-tailers like Greenman Gaming?
7) Will you be appointing a Community Manager who will relay game information via Twitter/Forums/Facebook/Youtube?
8) Will you be bringing multiplayer expansions or dlc which were put on hold to polish the game?
9) Will the game be ported to the WiiU?
10) Will we get to see trailers, developer diaries, screen shots which were supposedly planned to be shown prior to the games release?
11) Will the development team still be taking questions raised by the Metro community? (This was an arrangement setup by THQ over at the fan based forums which you can follow here: http://www.lastlightforum.com/showthread.php?t=642 )
12) Is there a forum/website which fans can go to find out information regarding the game?
13) What are the chances of Deep Silver releasing a GoodOldGames.com (DRM Free) version of Metro: Last Light?
14) Will there be sequels/prequels to the 'Metro' series following the inspiration of Dmitry Glukhovsky? (Can we expect further Metro games after Metro Last Light)
15) Will the official Metro Social Media/Community portals (listed below) be dissolved or acquired by Deep Silver?
- http://www.enterthemetro.com/uk/
- @MetroVideoGame
- http://www.youtube.com/user/metrovideogame
- https://www.facebook.com/lastlightmetro
- http://www.facebook.com/metrovideogameuk

Thanks

Soldato
Whilst that sucks, still hope left some exiting Ips

Also i think I'm right in saying Sega purchase Relic, who own Homeworld, so Sega get the Homeworld IP? Afaik, the homeworld ip is/was up for grabs in the THQ auction

Edit: So basically that means that the people behind Rome:TW (Creative Assembly) now have the rights to Homeworld ip...could be big...

Use the other thread for discussion on other IP's.

Permabanned
OP
For those interested in this game I contacted Deep Silver as to what is happening and here is the response:

Original Questions:

Hi,

Now that the Metro IP has been acquired by Deep Silver, could a representative answer the following questions please raised by the 'Metro' community?

1) What is the release date for the game? (March 2013 was the previous release date)
2) Is the game still multi-platform? (PC, PS3, XBOX 360)
3) Will you be supporting/funding/expanding 4A studios?
4) Will you be taking aboard any of the THQ staff who were involved with Communications and Social Media of Metro Last Light?
5) Will you be offering the same pre-order incentives or will this change?
6) What will happen to existing pre-orders placed on Steam or 3rd Party e-tailers like Greenman Gaming?
7) Will you be appointing a Community Manager who will relay game information via Twitter/Forums/Facebook/Youtube?
8) Will you be bringing multiplayer expansions or dlc which were put on hold to polish the game?
9) Will the game be ported to the WiiU?
10) Will we get to see trailers, developer diaries, screen shots which were supposedly planned to be shown prior to the games release?
11) Will the development team still be taking questions raised by the Metro community? (This was an arrangement setup by THQ over at the fan based forums which you can follow here: http://www.lastlightforum.com/showthread.php?t=642 )
12) Is there a forum/website which fans can go to find out information regarding the game?
13) What are the chances of Deep Silver releasing a GoodOldGames.com (DRM Free) version of Metro: Last Light?
14) Will there be sequels/prequels to the 'Metro' series following the inspiration of Dmitry Glukhovsky? (Can we expect further Metro games after Metro Last Light)
15) Will the official Metro Social Media/Community portals (listed below) be dissolved or acquired by Deep Silver?
- http://www.enterthemetro.com/uk/
- @MetroVideoGame
- http://www.youtube.com/user/metrovideogame
- https://www.facebook.com/lastlightmetro
- http://www.facebook.com/metrovideogameuk

Thanks

Answers from Maurice_T:
http://forum.deepsilver.com/forum/showthread.php/67752-Metro-Last-Light?p=554534#post554534

It is going to take some time until we have all the details, but I will answer what I can!

1) TBA
2) Personally speaking, I don't see why that would change. Cannot confirm, though.
3) Deep Silver did not buy 4A, so whatever happens after the release will be up to a huge amount of factors.
4) Don't have info about that.
5) Unknown (yeah yeah, I know).
6) Those should be fine. Your money for a preorder won't disappear.
7) That would be me! Hi!
8) Nooooo idea.
9) My guess would be that a Wii U version is extremely unlikely in the foreseeable future, given: http://www.vg247.com/2012/12/13/metr...-says-thq-rep/. But I don't know what 4A has been working on. Only found out that we will be releasing it yesterday after office hours!
10) TBD
11) Cool idea, if it's up to me I would say: yes!
12) We'll be looking hard at what the best option for this will be once we have more info.
13) Hmmmmm, not my call I'm afraid. I will relay the question internally, however.
14) Let's focus on Last Light first
15) I do not know exactly what is part of the deal. Social media and YouTube will likely transfer to Deep Silver. Website depends on whether that is part of the deal, or part of generic THQ assets to be sold separately. I would be surprised if it was not part of the Metro franchise, however.

Sorry I can't answer all your questions but I hope that helps in some way

Permabanned
OP
Right we've managed to grab the CM at Deep Silver over at the Metro Community hub, so here are some Questions and Answers: http://www.lastlightforum.com/showthread.php?t=4056

Hi everybody!

I'm Maurice Tan, the International Community Manager over at Deep Silver (@Pewology on Twitter if you want to reach me there).

As you will probably all know by now, Deep Silver will be publishing Metro: Last Light. Some of you have already reached out to us on Twitter, Facebook, and the Deep Silver forums. Many thanks for that, this helps me a lot!

At the moment, the information I have/have to share is very sparse.
Only one working day has passed since the THQ auction ended on Wednesday evening CET, and we first have to set up our communication with 4A Games, find out what THQ had already done for M:LL, etc. It is going to take some time before this transition has been completed and we are all up and running over on my end.

I also do not know exactly what will happen to the THQ reps that were present on this forum in the past.

But! I'd like to address some things just to give you a better understanding of Deep Silver and how we will be approach community.

Deep Silver
I've seen Deep Silver being referred to as a developer in other threads. We are not a developer but a publishing label. Koch Media is a company which publishes games, and which also distributes games for other publishers (SEGA, Tecmo Koei, and others) in different European countries.

Some games we publish as Deep Silver without interfering with the creative process and production methods of the developer (like Catherine or S.T.A.L.K.E.R.). For those games, we just take care of marketing, making sure the games end up in stores, and other stuff like that.

Other games we create from scratch together with a developer (like Dead Island or Risen). Those games also fall under the Deep Silver label.

At the moment I have no information about how this will work for Metro: Last Light. However -- and this is only personally speaking -- since the game has been in development for a while now, and was once scheduled for March 2013, chances are that our involvement will be minimal. It might also be part of the agreement THQ had with 4A Games that 4A Games retains creative control. I don't know!

But as a Metro 2033 fan myself, I would not worry too much about the new publisher destroying what 4A Games has worked on already. If we had no interest in 4A Games' work on Metro 2033, and on Last Light so far, we would just not have bid on Metro at the THQ auction.

Again, I have no information on the specifics of the deal so please be patient until more information will become available.

Deep Silver and Community
I have no intention of closing down this fan forum whatsoever. If you were worried about that: don't be.

Instead, I'll be present here to communicate news, developments, etc. Having said that, I'm the only Community Manager who takes care of all the English-language fans of Deep Silver games and was already pretty busy, and we suddenly added Saints Row and Metro: Last Light to that. Let's say I won't be bored this year, but I'll check the forums as often as I can . If it takes some time for me to respond, please be patient or kindly send me a PM if you feel I am taking too long.

Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube will probably all transfer over to Deep Silver, and we will keep using those channels.

Deep Silver also has its own official forums, with its own fan moderators. We may open an official Metro forum for discussions, support, and things like that in the future. However, I also do not want to splinter the Metro community.

Looking at it practically, the official THQ Metro forums are more or less an empty wasteland, and this forum seems to be the largest and most active forum about Metro. This poses a bit of a dilemma, since there will be new Metro fans who will look on the Deep Silver forums to find information about Metro: Last Light. At the same time, most of the Metro fans are probably already here and you will probably want to stay here.

What it really comes down to is how things will work between Deep Silver and 4A Games. If we only have a deal for Metro: Last Light, and 4A Games is free to choose their own publisher for any future game, there is little sense for Deep Silver to start building a new official forum community at this stage. If there will be more Metro games together with 4A Games (and I am just speculating here), there would be more sense for Deep Silver to host official forums with FAQs and support.

It also depends on when Metro: Last Light will be released and how much time remains until release. One option would also be that we endorse these forums as the official forums, but leave it under your moderation in a very hands-off approach.

Whatever happens, this forum will receive my support any way I can

Developer Q&A on forum
I really like this idea and if 4A Games wants to continue this, I am all for it.

Release date
No information yet. Patience!

Limited Edition, DLC, pricing, digital distribution channels, pre-orders
Same story as the release date.

Deep Silver releases its PC games on almost all the digital distribution channels these days, so I think Steam and GamersGate etc. are a given. GOG.com I can't say.

What happens with retailer pre-orders, I'm not sure. I'm expecting that retailers won't really care about who ends up giving them the game they are selling, as long as that game will exist. Agreements about DLC and pre-order bonuses that THQ made with retailers may stay in place and transfer over. We will have to see what the situation is as far as all these different agreements go.

If you pre-ordered at the THQ store directly, however, I honestly have no idea what happens with that if that entire store gets closed down. This would be a question for THQ support if anyone is still working there.

I saw that the Limited Edition (essentially the pre-order edition) included a hardcore HUD-less mode. I don't know whose idea at THQ it was to break that out of the game as a separate bonus. But again, whether this will stay the same or not will most likely depend on existing agreements and things like that.

Platforms
I have no information about this, but don't expect a Vita version to appear out of nowhere if there wasn't one in development.

I think this about covers what I can tell you right now. Once I know more and have a release date, information about how we'll be working with 4A Games, or the state of pre-order deals with (digital) retailers, I'll let you know in this forum.

In the meantime, if there is anything you want to suggest or ask, go ahead.

Thanks for reading!

Maurice

Permabanned
OP
The game will have better Hitman Absolution/Dishonored stealth type mechanics where bodies can be moved.

Thankfully, you’ve got both lethal and non-lethal takedowns at your disposal, and the variety of long-range weaponry should keep you relatively safe, provided you’re strategic. Bodies can be moved after falling, which is always a huge plus, and you will be rewarded for your patience and timing.

http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-previews/585.html

edit - article is fake y'all

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
With Metro 2033 the ukrainian developer 4A Games pushed the limits of graphics. The prequel to Metro 2003, Last Light, aims for the technology throne again. PC Games Hardware had the chance to talk with Oles Shishkovtsov, Chief Technology Officer at 4A Game

4A Games talks tech: PC Games Hardware spoke to Oles Shishkovtsov, CTO at 4A Games, to give you information about Metro Last Light's rendering technology. Last Light is the successor of the 2010 game Metro 2033 that already made use of DirectX 11 and Tessellation, GPU Physx, 3D Vision and Morphological Anti-Aliasing. Metro Last Light refines all of these features - but read for yourself:

PC Games Hardware: Content-wise Metro Last Light will be a prequel of the story presented in Metro 2033 as far as we know. On the technical side have you made enhancements, improvements modifications or revisions you can explain to us?

Oles Shishkovtsov: In general we have greatly improved the looks of outdoor locations, monsters, humans, lighting model (including precise reflections), cinematic effects like DOF, color corrections, etc. The full list would be several pages long …

PC Games Hardware: Will you keep the strategy that the PC version will look better and will allow technical/visual features that cannot be realized with console Hardware, e.g. higher texture resolution and better lighting? Can we once again expect Multisampling and Analytical Antialiasing in the PC version?

Oles Shishkovtsov: Definitely. The PC version will have much better visuals than before. And antialiasing is much much better than before (smile).

PC Games Hardware: Do you try to optimize the technology used in Metro Last Light for multithreading? If this is the case can you go into detail here: What different engine modules can be calculated in a separate thread? How does the work job structure look like? Do you use a thread scheduler? How do you handle the fact that in Metro 2033 the GPU had a very heavy workload?

Oles Shishkovtsov: Metro 2033 was already heavily multithreaded, which resulted in 100% load on all cores unless we are GPU bound. We don't run different modules on different threads because that's the inherently non-scalable way. Instead we use tasks (or jobs) and in this way 2033 (and Last Light) can scale to insane amount of cores (although we have only tested up to 16 cores/threads). During heavy workloads we can have several thousand of tasks per frame, which are spawned in a tree-like fashion, without any dependencies. There is no such thing as special thread scheduler, - worker threads just steal and execute any task they can.

PC Games Hardware: It was rumored that Metro Last Light will also offer support for 3D Vision/stereoscopic 3D support. If yes how will you handle the problem that 3D visuals could demand a lot of GPU power? - keeping in mind that especially the DX11 visuals in Metro 2033 could only be rendered by high end video cards.

Oles Shishkovtsov: As you probably know, 2033 shipped already supporting Nvidia 3D Stereo. And it was the only game of that time which was designed with 3D in mind resulting in highest possible "3D Vision Ready" status. Last Light improved and tuned 3D perception to new levels. We believe that it will be in a class of its own (smile).

PC Games Hardware: You keep the support for GPU PhysX in Metro Last Light. If so can we expect some improvements or enhancements compared to Metro 2033 (e.g. soft bodies, debris, and destructible environments)? What graphics card do you recommend for maxed details in Full HD with Antialiasing? An upcoming Nvidia Kepler-based Geforce for example? ;)

Oles Shishkovtsov: Yes, you can expect a lot of improvements, especially in destruction and debris. The upcoming Geforce cards will be fully supported.

PC Games Hardware: When benchmarking Metro 2033 we found out that the engine utilized more than four cores of multicore CPUs if we were using the advanced PhysX effects on CPU, so you are utilizing Nvidias PhysX SDK 3.x? Will all the advanced PhysX effects only be available in PC version?

Oles Shishkovtsov: That's the common misconception that PhysX 2.X cannot be multithreaded. Actually it is internally designed to be multithreaded! The only thing – it takes some programmer time to enable that multi-threading (actually task generation), mostly to integrate with engine task-model and ensure proper load-balancing. So, 2033 used PhysX 2.8.3, and Last Light uses similar, a slightly modified version at the time of writing. And yes, advanced PhysX effects will be available only on PC.

PC Games Hardware: As above mentioned in Metro 2033 especially the DX11 render path took even high end cards to their limit of performance. Have you as a consequence of this tried to optimize the graphics part of the engine for speeding up the rendering with the help of DX11 features (e.g. computer shader or driver multithreading)? Can you already tell us if Metro Last Light will offer new DX11-Features that were not integrated in the renderer of the predecessor? Can you give us an overview which visual features will be only rendered with DX11?

Oles Shishkovtsov: We utilized compute shaders in one more place (2033 already used compute shaders). Regarding the performance, the interesting thing is that we have improved graphics in almost all places, but the performance is still on 2033-level, and even better in many places. Actually, until you turn on tessellation/displacement it is the same. That's because a lot more content is tessellated and displaced comparing to 2033. Regarding features, I'd rather say that we improved all the features like added Bokeh for DOF, implemented physically based SSAO or much better reflections.

PC Games Hardware: In Metro 2033 you can choose between DX9, DX10 and of course DX11. What visual and performance differences exist among these APIs and which effects are possible or not? Last but not least: Please tell us your favorite optical highlight.

Oles Shishkovtsov: DX9 mode disables a lot of stuff, and it is fastest by default. But if you turn off all API specific effects, all APIs will run at similar framerates on equal hardware, except that DX11 will be slightly faster. Regarding the effects, around 50% of all improvements will be visible in DX9 mode, +30% in DX10 and another +20% in DX11.

pcgameshardware.com/aid,852240/Metro-Last-Light-PC-aims-for-the-technology-throne-Developer-talks-about-DirectX-11-Tessellation-GPU-Physx-und-Co/News/

Back
Top Bottom