Michael Schumacher 'Hurt In Skiing Accident'

Don
there is a simple way of solving this and could also be an idea, if it isn't already done,

what about a helmet that has an integrated area for a go pro? bit like a miners helmet, with a safe area within the helmet at the front,

I am sure this would also appeal to the aero dynamics crowd.

quick photoshop, but something like this?

KVJDAGE.jpg

Decent idea to be fair, I'll invest in the kickstart project :cool:

I still maintain it's a load of rubbish but given how people believe anything they read the 'miners helmet' idea is bound to be a success!

There is more chance of being hit by a marmotte than a go-pro injuring you on the snow.

Soldato
Like having money has ever stopped someone from taking out a lawsuit.

Defend an expensive purchase? I don't even own one.

Did you see where he was skiing?
The exact pictures of what the press then termed off piste.

Anyway, my original point stands.
It could have been the gopro, as thats what they are saying caused the localised injury.
I do not understand how people can state it wasnt and persist with the line that it just snaps off. If you land directly on an object, or fall upon an object, it still hits and penetrates you even if it isn't attached to you.

Soldato
It wasn't a localised injury. There were lesions in two different areas of the brain. Whether the GoPro or the mount caused that or not, I don't know, but it wasn't a localised injury - localised impact perhaps, but certainly not a localised injury.

And I'm fairly sure it didn't penetrate the brain, as it's highly unlikely he'd be alive at all, and I don't recall much in the way of reports of pools of blood at the scene. There was blood apparently, but the one picture I can find which reportedly shows the area he landed (which looks highly dubious given the lack of a cordon in place, which there surely would be for such a high-profile case) doesn't have the masses of blood such an injury would surely cause.

Last edited:

One

One

Soldato
So what if he had landed on his ski pole? Would people expect a lawsuit for that? Or his backpack?

Because gopro explicitly market their cameras to be helmet mounted...

http://shop.gopro.com/EMEA/mounts/side-mount/AHEDM-001.html

http://shop.gopro.com/EMEA/mounts/helmet-front-mount/AHFMT-001.html#/start=1

There's nothing to suggest doing this is dangerous, indeed why should a consumer question it? Has gopro checked? If it turns out there is a potential danger to wearing a gopro on your helmet then if it not withdrawn from sale completely it would need to come with a warning.

At the moment you can easily argue gopro is marketed to be used on a safety helmet and therefore it should be safe. If it isn't then gopro have been naughty in not checking their product is safe to be used in such a manner.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Did you see where he was skiing?
The exact pictures of what the press then termed off piste.

Yes, i've seen it. Nothing to do with 'termed off piste' - he wasn't on piste, ergo he was off piste.

Don't get me wrong, I love going off piste as much as the next man, but I appreciate that it's considerably more dangerous than groomed runs. Proof in point, massive jagged rocks in the middle of the mountain that he smashed into.

As for the Go Pro itself, i've already mentioned that it's down to each individual to decide whether they want to strap one to their head. If they do, they have to accept that it could cause injury in a crash. Just like you have to accept that if you smash into a rock head first you're very likely going to hurt yourself.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
A sad update:

Michael Schumacher is in a wheelchair, unable to speak and suffering from memory loss, according to a former French racing driver.

Philippe Streiff, who himself uses a wheelchair after an accident in 1989, said he had remained in contact with his friend Schumacher. “ He is getting better [but] everything is relative,” he said. “It’s very difficult because he cannot speak. He’s in a wheelchair, paralysed, with memory and speech problems as well.

“The fact that he’s in his family will perhaps enable him to recover more quickly, but it’s difficult. It appears that he communicates with his eyes, with his wife and press officer.”

The seven times Formula One champion left hospital in September and returned to his £25 million mansion in Gland, Switzerland.

Schumacher was placed in an artificial coma in Grenoble University Hospital, France, last December after a skiing accident in the French Alps. He underwent two operations on his head and was only brought out of the coma in June. He was then transferred to University Hospital, in Lausanne, Switzerland, where he spent three months.

Jules Bianchi, the French driver seriously injured after an accident during the Japanese grand prix last month, has emerged from his coma and been flown to a hospital in Nice, France.

Back
Top Bottom