Michael Schumacher 'Hurt In Skiing Accident'

Soldato
Apparently it's a mistranslation / misquote. What he actually said was ''We must hope that Schumacher can live a normal life soon".

So not as promising as it first sounded. :(

Soldato
Indeed, I thought it sounded a strange quote given the rest of the statement the man had made.
They have quoted a small section mistranslated and interpreted.
Typical press, and shame for Schummi.

Soldato
Formula 1 is so safe these days - it's takes a freak accident like that to seriously threaten a driver's life. Look at Schumacher...all those years racing around at 200mph and it was taking a tumble skiing that almost did him in.

i don't understand why he was going so fast - doesn't double yellow flags mean 'get ready to stop'??
The crash was pretty horrific, a recovery seems pretty unlikely, sadly.

Man of Honour
i don't understand why he was going so fast - doesn't double yellow flags mean 'get ready to stop'??
The crash was pretty horrific, a recovery seems pretty unlikely, sadly.

It does but it's never really been enforced. as long as it's slower than normal that's been good enough. They need to enforce it. A couple of black flags and that will change, what they really need to do is remove the uncertainty. And just make a max speed. They already have such a button in the car for pits, so just make it the same speed.

Last edited:
Soldato
It does but it's never really been enforced. as long as it's slower than normal that's been good enough. They need to enforce it. A couple of flag flags and that will change, what they really need to do is remove the uncertainty. And just make a max speed. They already have such a button in the car for pits, so just make it the same speed.

thats a good idea - they could do it remotely so when you enter a zone of flags the car is limited automatically.

Man of Honour
It wouldn't be safe to enforce it. Just leave it to the driver just like the pit lane, if you speed. Then they get punished and as such no one does. The worse that happens these days is they speed fir the first few metres as they didn't get down in time for the line.

Don
there's no other way of moving the car though unfortunately. You have to have the tractor to pull the car out, as the majority of tracks have fences above the barriers which stop debris from hitting marshalls.

Caporegime
TBH we've been told nothing to draw conclusions from and so we shouldn't. Is he on life support, isn't he? Can he talk, can't he? Can he move, can't he? He could very well be a vegetable but we don't know. He may be mentally okay but suffer from severe head pain from too much stimuli. Anything can answer why we've not seen him but since we've had no updates we can't really make any assumptions whatsoever.

We can make assumptions based on similar cases in the medical literature, ie not good.

Caporegime
there's no other way of moving the car though unfortunately. You have to have the tractor to pull the car out, as the majority of tracks have fences above the barriers which stop debris from hitting marshalls.

And if you move to using a crane to pull them out (a la Monaco) then what's to say that Bianchi wouldn't have flattened a marshall? Motorsport is dangerous, everything should be done to mitigate risks but removing them entirely isn't possible.

I wish Bianchi a speedy recovery however unlikely that seems. Hopefully we will see drivers paying attention to yellow flags instead of just showing that they have lifted off a little bit to satisfy the people watching the timing screens.

Man of Honour
Not such welcome news after all:

Formula One could be forgiven for clinging to any encouragement and there was disappointment when quotes attributed to Jean Todt, the FIA president, turned out to be a mistranslation.Todt was quoted as saying that Schumacher could soon live a normal life. In fact, Todt, who sees Schumacher every week, merely agreed with his interviewer that he “hoped” that would be possible, a subtle but crucial difference.

Soldato
So they're saying it was the Go-Pro that caused the injury. Not sure if this is to mount a lawsuit against Go-Pro, or just accepting that it was a contributing factor.

I guess it makes sense.. A hard object protruding may create extra impact on a small region. Eitherway Go-Pro are most likely in the process of getting a legal team together.

Don
Anyone with a Go-Pro ? Does it mention that the mounting may affect the absorption design of the helmet on a warning sticker?

I've got go-pro mounts on all of my ski helmets, I've had plenty of crashes not once has my helmet failed on or around the go-pro mount, nor has the camera caused any additional harm, they snap off nearly instantly, I have a leash setup on all of mine

load of rubbish if you ask me

Don
WARNING: Use caution when using your GoPro as part of your
active lifestyle. Always be aware of your surroundings to avoid
injury to yourself and others. Abide by all local laws when using
this camera
That's the warning out of the manual.

Edit: And another one:-

WARNING: If using your camera with a GoPro helmet mount,
always select a helmet that meets the applicable safety standard.
Choose the right helmet for your particular sport or activity and
make sure that it is the right fit and size for you. Inspect your
helmet to ensure that it is in good condition and follow the helmet
manufacturer's instructions on safe helmet use. Any helmet that
has sustained a major impact should be replaced. No helmet can
protect against injury in every accident.

Back
Top Bottom