Microsoft Chromium Edge - Now Available to Download

Soldato
This one passed me by; only just found out about it.

First impressions are great. Set-up was seamless, and it actually managed to import my passwords from Chrome (an area I've had no success with in the past, even with other Chromium browsers - I don't know why). Pages load quickly. Can't really ask more of it.

The mobile version is a bit odd. I'll stick with it though because again my passwords are all there (really been the biggest barrier to me ditching Chrome).

Not tried it on my Surface Pro yet though. Anyone know if it still has the "write on the web" pen support stuff from the old Edge? I used that a lot for Uni stuff.

Soldato
If you pull the 'hidden' menu up Edge is still playing Netflix at 1080p, having issues with Amazon prime using Edge where it keeps stuttering and doubling audio, using other browsers videos play fine.

Soldato
Found a issue with watching Netflix with the new Edge causing a BSOD constantly every time a new episode tries to play automatically or if I click on next episode. Shame as it being able to natively stream 1080p was great.

Looking on Reddit I'm not the only one, not sure if it's an Edge or Nvidia that need to fix that one.

Soldato
Only issue i have at the moment is if i click on a YouTube link via google search it does not always work first time. Sometimes i have to click 4 or 5 times to get it to work.

Soldato
It can't sync bookmarks either across different desktops. Had some weird issues with admin stuff I was doing most likely SharePoint. I've gone back to IE which is a bit Ironic.

Soldato
Glaring privacy issues apparently.

You can control whether optional diagnostic data associated with your device is shared with Microsoft to solve product issues and help improve Microsoft products and services. Microsoft Edge collects a set of required data necessary to help keep the product secure, up to date, and performing properly. Microsoft believes in and practices information collection minimization. We strive to gather only the info we need, and to store it only for as long as it’s needed to provide a service or for analysis.

As you use features and services in Microsoft Edge, diagnostic data about how you use those features is sent to Microsoft. You can manage this data collection in the browser by selecting Settings and more > Settings > Privacy and services and turning on or off Improve Microsoft products by sending crash reports and data about how you use the browser. This includes data from testing new experiences. To finish making changes to this setting, restart Microsoft Edge.

Microsoft Edge saves your browsing history—info about the websites you visit—on your device. Depending on your settings, this browsing history is sent to Microsoft, which helps us find and fix problems and improve our products and services for all users. You can manage this data collection in the browser by selecting Settings and more > Settings > Privacy and services and turning on or off Make searches and Microsoft products better by sending info about websites you visit in Microsoft Edge. To finish making changes to this setting, restart Microsoft Edge.

Turning these settings on allows this data to be shared with Microsoft from other applications using Microsoft Edge, such as a video streaming app that hosts the Microsoft Edge web platform to stream the video. These applications will send info about how you use the web platform and sites you visit in the application to Microsoft. This data collection is determined by your Help improve Microsoft Edge settings in Microsoft Edge Privacy and services settings.

On Windows 10, these settings are determined by your Windows diagnostic setting. To change your diagnostic data setting, select Start > Settings > Privacy > Diagnostics & feedback . On all other platforms, you can change your settings in Microsoft Edge by selecting Settings and more > Settings > Privacy and services . For more info, see Configure your privacy settings so they're right for you. In some cases, your diagnostic data settings might be managed by your organization.

Back
Top Bottom