Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024 announced.

I can;t get it to use my Thrustmaster TCA Sidestick Airbus edition and throttle. It recognises them as working and linked to the relevent controls in the config. settings but do not work in the actual plane. Hopefully it will be ok in the full version

The controls UI is dreadful. It's hard to comprehend how supposedly professional developers can make such a mess of something so fundamental.

There's no obvious way to set 'default' controls which simply apply to all aircraft. I think it involves creating a new profile for each device, but that still has to be set for every plane. Unless I'm just being a bit thick, if this is what we end up with in five weeks Asobo are useless.

They also haven't done anything to address the issues with control sensitivity. It's genuinely impossible to make fine adjustments when trying to adjust things like cockpit camera position. The slightest tap causes massive changes.

looking at various youtube videos the only thing that seems to work ok is an xbox controller and I don't have one of those, they should never have released this test without the control setup working ok, at least there should be prompts or instructions showing you what to do instead of having to spend ages trying to work it out and then not working

As most of the people testing this probably have yokes/hotas/pedals etc I am surprised they didn't release a more functional controls version.

I decided to just ignore my rudder problems and try some of the photographer missions. I couldn't figure out how to take a photo. I assume that is not functional. The grand canyon scenery is certainly impressive.

I applied, I have not yet had an invitation
looking at various youtube videos the only thing that seems to work ok is an xbox controller and I don't have one of those, they should never have released this test without the control setup working ok, at least there should be prompts or instructions showing you what to do instead of having to spend ages trying to work it out and then not working

Given that it's RTM next month, why is it only an alpha? I'm guessing this is a much earlier version?

Reading these comments isn't filling me with confidence. Sounds just as buggy as MSFS 2020. Definitely not going to blind buy it ... will check it out on Game Pass first.

Downloaded this and gave it a go, blimey what a pain in the neck that was not sure I will bother again, poor graphics, poor streaming, poor flight model, terrible controls.

Apart from that, brilliant step forward, it did stick at 60 fps mind, but I get over 50 in 2020. My monitor maxes out at 60 fps.

My first flight was Bristol to Kemble, took off, flew over to the 7 bridges then followed M4 to J17 and North then to Kemble. Every river/steam I came across changed to a deep crevasse as I got close and, I guess the LOD, changed. Tress had brown leaves which was nice but I still feel they are too/large/prominent. Got agree with others that some of the lighting is really good.

I tried Career Mode. Took 15 mins before Scott appeared and started talking to me, so much for quick load times. First flight was a check flight, Scott tells me we'll take off and turn right twice. Seems Asobo/MS can't tell their left form their right as the on-screen arrows and boxes all pointed left. Scott continued to tell me it was a right turn though. After I quit 2024 crashed, which actually was a relief as for me the game takes longer to shutdown than to load! It can take a couple of minutes.

After flying around different places in the World using my keyboard which are the only controls I can get to fly with it is all very disappointing I was expecting much more considering all the hype. Trees still growing on roads and buildings, water levels wrong. It looks like we will still have to buy upgrades to towns and cities etc, for instance Blackpool has lost its Tower, Pleasure Beach and promenade and London has gone back to basics with no cable car and two ships again instead of HMS Belfast.
Another irritating thing was the verbal description of everything in the settings, the only way I could find to turn it off disabled ATC voices as well

Last edited:
After flying around different places in the World using my keyboard which are the only controls I can get to fly with it is all very disappointing I was expecting much more considering all the hype. Trees still growing on roads and buildings, water levels wrong. It looks like we will still have to buy upgrades to towns and cities etc, for instance Blackpool has lost its Tower, Pleasure Beach and promenade and London has gone back to basics with no cable car and two ships again instead of HMS Belfast.

Think a lot of the issues with scenery were deliberate. This build doesn't seem to have included streaming of POIs which were previously installed locally, although that seems weird cos you'd have thought it's what they'd want to test. Photogrammetry was also disabled for many places, including London.

Asobo have stated that they just wanted to test certain aspects of their systems under load. I don't think people should read very much into bugs or poor features such as the controls interface. These aspects could be completely different in the release version.

Another irritating thing was the verbal description of everything in the settings, the only way I could find to turn it off disabled ATC voices as well

You didn’t actually expect all the word content from msfs2020 to be in a 9gb test did you ?

I never got the beta but still confident of this being good, I would expect it to be at least as good as the 2020 version which it's based on. i have the base version on pre-order and looking forward to it.

Last edited:
Now the test seems to be over how do you get rid of any files etc associated with it that were downloaded

Last edited:
I watched a YouTube vid earlier where the chap was comparing system usage between 2020 and 2024.
If that is representative of the full version, looks positive as the load on the CPU appeared to be very evenly distributed across cores.
The GPU (4080 super) was pretty much maxed out, with the 5800x3d at around 50%. He was using a 4K display. Positive stuff.

Made me wonder if it would make use of a 16 core 7950 chip

Back
Top Bottom