**** Microsoft Surface Book Thread ****

Man of Honour
Great, just checked the latest update ^^^^ and the Nvidia drivers haven't been updated and are still on 10.18.13.5415. :( The Intel video drivers are ok.

So go Device Manger, Display Adapters, Update Driver, Browse my computer for driver software, Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer, choose 10.18.13.5914 dated 03.12.15 and update.

Soldato
I'm still in the market for a new laptop and noticed this is officially released in the UK next week according to MS's website. There were some complaints about stability issues and bugs when it was originally released? Have these been addressed or is it still somewhat temperamental?

Also what's the fan noise like?

Man of Honour
I'm still in the market for a new laptop and noticed this is officially released in the UK next week according to MS's website. There were some complaints about stability issues and bugs when it was originally released? Have these been addressed or is it still somewhat temperamental?

Also what's the fan noise like?

Most of the issues have been resolved by software, driver and firmware releases which come monthly. My i7 arrived as the November firmware and big Win 10 release arrived so my experience has been a very good one.

I've had no issues to complain about. My only niggle is the small battery drain when it's not connected but that should be resolved by a firmware release. I've not found the fan noise obtrusive when it does come on.

Soldato
Has anyone ordered one?

Very tempted but can't really justify spending that kind of money without actually trying one myself in store somewhere. Will probably need to wait until my local John Lewis or PC World get them in TBH but hopefully that won't take too long now that they're officially out in the UK.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Very tempted but can't really justify spending that kind of money without actually trying one myself in store somewhere. Will probably need to wait until my local John Lewis or PC World get them in TBH but hopefully that won't take too long now that they're officially out in the UK.

You can already order and pickup from store with JL and get a two year guarantee:

Microsoft Surface Book Launches on 18 February 2016
Available to buy Online from 8pm on 16 February 2016

Purchase from 16 February 2016 at 8pm and collect from your local John Lewis or Waitrose on Launch Day.
Just select 'Click and Collect' at the checkout to pick up from store.
Pre Orders must be completed before 8pm on 17 February to collect on Launch Day.

Soldato
Useful to know JL are stocking it aswell with the 2 year warranty. Suspected they would since they sold the Surface tablet range. I can get educational discount online so probably wouldn't buy it from them though. Just want to drop by a store so I can get some hands on time with a device :)

Man of Honour
As expected firmware and drivers released today:

•System Hardware Update – 2/17/2016
•Microsoft driver update for Surface UEFI
•Microsoft driver update for Surface Management Engine
•Microsoft driver update for Surface System Aggregator Firmware

Soldato
OK, relented and have shiny Surface Book arriving to local JL store tomorrow....click and collect.....much excitement!!!!
Now, need to find my SP3 a nice new home (Price Check thread up in relevant place!) :p

Soldato
Nice! Which one have you gone for?

All-singing-and-dancing = i7/16GB/512GB :D

Figured that, after claiming VAT back, was more or less the same price as the i7/8GB/256GB model.......Purchased through my Ltd, FRS VAT registered, so invoice over £2k eligible.....£1,875 against £1,799

JL with 2yr warranty seemed the sensible option, MS store don't have that model in stock - shame, could've snagged 5.25% TCB - but the extra year warranty is probably worthwhile?

Back
Top Bottom