**** Microsoft Surface Pro 4 Thread ****

Man of Honour
Nope, they wont, they really wont.
And it still doenst matter when 90% of the market is on USB3/2 etc, that doesnt help a user to day or for many years later.

I hardly use any USB devices except a camera and sometimes a stick to use to build an OS. I can live with the so called limitation, just like I did when I had to buy a dock for my Surface.

Are you actually comparing a SP3/4 etc to a MBP?
If a Surface Tabler can fit a full housed USB connection, then whats Apple excuse. I can even connect my phone, any phone, directly to it, thats a neat thing huh.

No, I'm not. I'm comparing the lack of connectivity, that's all.

I honestly can't remember the last time I needed to connect my phone to any of my computers, except to charge it.

Man of Honour
Surface laptop announced, looks nice.
although you would need to upgrade windows on it, as its running the new education version(http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/techn...e-powerful-competitor-to-chrome-os/ar-BBADB9G), which is locked to apps from the store (store does contain full x86 apps as well, if the creators have put them on their)

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer...y-unveils-surface-laptop-running-windows-10-s

I wonder what they could do, if they ever made a gaming laptop. Not that I think they ever will as gaming laptops are an established market and that's not the aim of the surface line.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
looks like it, but you have to add on the price of windows to be a direct competitor. Missing a massive trick by not offering windows pro out the box, should offer both.
and then acer, smasung and about 6 other oems are going to be making the cheap versions for schools to buy

Man of Honour
I'm not sure why I would get that over a Pro 4 at that price point. It's basically running Windows RT 2.0
well no, its running full windows but restricted to apps from the store, but the store does contain x86 apps, and it can also be upgraded to full windows.

some people would rather have a laptop, but I'm with you.

edit $49 to upgrade to pro, not to bad.

Last edited:
Soldato
well no, its running full windows but restricted to apps from the store, but the store does contain x86 apps, and it can also be upgraded to full windows.

some people would rather have a laptop, but I'm with you.

edit $49 to upgrade to pro, not to bad.
If you buy it this yuear you can upgrade to Pro for free.

Caporegime
Is Microsoft Office even available on the Windows Store?
Windows S sounds like a flop to me.

I work in a College, and Windows S would never ever be viable because the software point blank isn't on the store.

EDIT : Oh, Microsoft say they're going to bring Microsoft Office to the store.
Jesus, it's only taken them 6 years.

But then how's that going to work with MSDN keys?

Soldato
Will we need to purchase each app (eg word, excel, etc) separately or will the Windows store offer a bundled package like Office originally comes in? And will it be subscription like Office 365 or one off? And even if it's one off, will it be stuck on 2016 meaning you'll need to buy the newer suite if you want to upgrade :p? Microsoft better do this right...

Caporegime
Will we need to purchase each app (eg word, excel, etc) separately or will the Windows store offer a bundled package like Office originally comes in? And will it be subscription like Office 365 or one off? And even if it's one off, will it be stuck on 2016 meaning you'll need to buy the newer suite if you want to upgrade :p? Microsoft better do this right...

There's no chance they're going to do it right.

Soldato
so they have designed Windows S for the education sector, yet don't support many of the plugins required for exam software / whiteboard presentations?

at £1,000 it's a very expensive laptop to run office, in fact I'm struggling to understand what it does better than an xps 13

Last edited:
Man of Honour
so they have designed Windows S for the education sector, yet don't support many of the plugins required for exam software / whiteboard presentations?

at £1,000 it's a very expensive laptop to run office, in fact I'm struggling to understand what it does better than an xps 13

ms cant release a cheap alternative, that would pee off the oems.
So they are releasing a high end device that can be upgraded to Pro for nothing, or $49 after a certain time. which is what every one will do for these.
However OEMS are releasing devices starting at $189 that will be what schools get. If you watch the presentation it seems very good for schools.

Caporegime

The Surface laptop will be an instant failure.
Windows S will fail the education system simply because Windows Store isn't fit for purpose.

Caporegime
ms cant release a cheap alternative, that would pee off the oems.
So they are releasing a high end device that can be upgraded to Pro for nothing, or $49 after a certain time. which is what every one will do for these.
However OEMS are releasing devices starting at $189 that will be what schools get. If you watch the presentation it seems very good for schools.

No it doesn't. Working in that sector this just would be a none starter for us.
Windows S just simply isn't viable due to the application situation.

Man of Honour
No it doesn't. Working in that sector this just would be a none starter for us.
Windows S just simply isn't viable due to the application situation.
yet they already have schools in the us running it, how do you even know what apps are on there and what's coming.
remember the store excepts full x86 apps they just have to be submitted, so if uk schools take them up, don't you think exam boards will simply submit their software for security checks.

Caporegime
yet they already have schools in the us running it, how do you even know what apps are on there and what's coming.
remember the store excepts full x86 apps they just have to be submitted, so if uk schools take them up, don't you think exam boards will simply submit their software for security checks.

Microsoft have been failing to correctly execute anything hardware wise since the original Surface in 2011, this is just an extension of that.
It's just another Microsoft launch after another, with you hyping it up.

For us, it's not even exam boards. The students are on Novell. There's no Novell client on store, so no go right from the start.

All it takes is one piece of software not on the store to prevent a roll out for any place in education.

Man of Honour
Microsoft have been failing to correctly execute anything hardware wise since the original Surface in 2011, this is just an extension of that.
It's just another Microsoft launch after another, with you hyping it up.
what, surface is doing very well.
and no its not me hyping it up at all, did I say its the best thing since slice bread? oh wait no.
however it si far from DOA like people are saying, when they cant even figure out what sector it is for, or that you can simply upgrade to pro. This is not rt2.0 like people are saying.
however yet again MS has failed to explain it properly with so many people saying that and perception does matter.

Soldato
I know the education sector very well, this product brings nothing to the table.

Hey, if in five years time all the students are walking around with one (or the cheap alternative) fair enough.

Back
Top Bottom