**** Microsoft Surface Pro 4 Thread ****

Man of Honour
Surface Pro 4 Firmware Update 1/27/16

January 2016 updates

The following update will be listed as “System Firmware Update – 1/27/2016” when you view your update history.

When Surface updates are provided via the Windows Update service, they are delivered in stages to Surface customers. As a result, not every Surface will receive the update at the same time, but the update will be delivered to all devices. If you have not received the update then please manually check Windows Update later.

•Surface Embedded Controller Firmware (v88.899.256.0) adds battery charging enhancements and thermal tuning.
•Wireless Network Controller and Bluetooth driver update (v15.68.9037.59) improves access point compatibility and throughput on 5Ghz networks.
•Surface DTX driver update (v1.3.202.0) improves detection of the Surface keyboard to the clipboard.

In addition to the updates list above, the following additional update is available for Surface Book devices that have the optional NVIDIA GeForce GPU discrete graphics chip:

•NVIDIA GeForce GPU update (v10.18.13.5914) improves stability.

POB

POB

Soldato
My dock is either slightly broken (or just MS putting out junk) or a problem with one of my monitors config.

Since adding a second monitor to the dock (two plus Surface Screen) it randomly wakes from sleep with :

1) Just the Surface Screen
2) One Monitor
3) Working properly with all three.

Pulling the dock connector sometimes fixes. Sometimes I have to pull the monitor cable and reinsert.

:(

Currently its wasting more time then it saved.

Associate
Yeah I think most of the options will be in that sort of price-range because of the capacity of batteries required plus the Surface connector cable that they need to include.

$150 retail price will probably be well over £120 by the time you get one imported to the UK.

Soldato
My dock is either slightly broken (or just MS putting out junk) or a problem with one of my monitors config.

Since adding a second monitor to the dock (two plus Surface Screen) it randomly wakes from sleep with :

1) Just the Surface Screen
2) One Monitor
3) Working properly with all three.

Pulling the dock connector sometimes fixes. Sometimes I have to pull the monitor cable and reinsert.

:(

Currently its wasting more time then it saved.

What resolution and refresh rate are the external monitors running at? It seems the 2 ports actually is just a single displayport split into two, which means they won't have enough bandwidth to power 2 4K monitors at the same time.

Recently got the dock as well as I needed more USB ports and well as the ethernet port. Haven't tried an external monitor yet, I do have a mDP to VGA at home I could test with.

I also found out if I close the cover, it doesn't sleep properly and requires me to press the power button to properly wake it up. However, press win + L before closing the cover allows it to wake up properly.

POB

POB

Soldato
What resolution and refresh rate are the external monitors running at? It seems the 2 ports actually is just a single displayport split into two, which means they won't have enough bandwidth to power 2 4K monitors at the same time.

One is 2560x1440
Second is 1920x1080

So nothing crazy.

It was better with just the 2560x1440.

Man of Honour
In what way do you find the SP4 more useful than the 15" Retina? Do you not miss the screen real estate, the power or even OSX?

Power for what, browsing the web? I hardly use it for anything else. Sure when on the move I use Lightroom where the Mac will come into its own.

As for OSX, please, it's simply not as nice to use anymore and I find Win 10 has more usability in places. Apple really need to come up with something decent I think. What I do miss is iMessage though as that's pretty handy.

Soldato
My Macbook Pro's battery swell up and I had to have it removed. £100 for a new one.

Or... A Surface 4 i7 and keep the Macbook Pro as a music production setup.

Really unimpressed with my Macbook Pro. Just got slower and slower and then the gfx got bottlenecked because of the overheating issues.

Agree with S2KIP on all points. I'm waiting for issues to get sorted though. I want the sleeping issues fixed and not work arounds.

Man of Honour
Yes, but it only has one USB port which can be a pain. So if you want to plug in multiple devices, you'd need an adapter type thing.

Back
Top Bottom