*** Microsoft Windows 11 Thoughts & Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
You can understand why people, especially corporations, are reluctant to move to 11. Even though most of these issues only effect a relatively small proportion of users it sort of feels like you're playing a game of Russian roulette.

I miss the days when installing an update didn't give you the sweats or wasting hours trying to workout how to undo a change.

Soldato
Has the ability to drag the primary taskbar between screens been added yet? I say yet in the hope that it will be...

Man of Honour
Something new I noticed, it was disabled by default but in the Startup area on task task manager there's an entry for Microsoft Defender. I read about this ages ago that MS will be rolling it out to replace WIndows Defender, but it seems they run alongside each other, I toggled it on and restarted to see what it is all about, looks like it runs its own icon as well as Windows Defender/Security:

M0vRZ3I.png

Not sure I can be bothered to sign into it etc so may just leave it disabled.

Edit*
Signed in anyway to just check, it looks like it's just a front end that shows you info that is otherwise shown in Windows anyway. It links up to cloud sync with all your devices. Something I will never have a care for so yeah it will remain disabled in the startup page.

idoqexN.png

Last edited:
Soldato
Been doing some digging, apparently it's this...
Microsoft shifting the built-in defender to a cross platform UWP app.

Last edited:
Soldato
but again that's not something that affects everyone as only a small minority use SMB, myself included.
Probably true for home users, but I would imagine many businesses will use SMB.

The issue I experience is if I set two file transfers going simultaneously, to two different servers, both will transfer at the exact same rate, which will be that of the slowest (remote) connection. Previously they would transfer at different rates, up to whatever the connections could sustain.

Soldato
I've got 22H2 on my laptop and I just can't get File Explorer to look like something I am happy with. Is there anyway to get the left hand panel of File Explorer more like Windows 10, ideally without third-party software?

Soldato
explorer.png

That's how I the left panel setup in my File Explorer just now, with Open File Explorer to set to This PC. I guess it's a Windows 7 look, which I happen to like. But I'm finding it nearly impossible to achieve such a layout in Windows 11's File Explorer. :(

Man of Honour
That's how I the left panel setup in my File Explorer just now, with Open File Explorer to set to This PC. I guess it's a Windows 7 look, which I happen to like. But I'm finding it nearly impossible to achieve such a layout in Windows 11's File Explorer. :(

Always makes me laugh - Windows 7 explorer was in a good place just needed a few tweaks, option of an open folder list in the navigation pane, option of tabbed folders, etc. and the advanced copy dialogue from 8 and it would have been great, instead they slowly erode it towards less useful.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've got 22H2 on my laptop and I just can't get File Explorer to look like something I am happy with. Is there anyway to get the left hand panel of File Explorer more like Windows 10, ideally without third-party software?

If I've missed something you should be able to find it on that same site, also if you want to launch explorer to a drive instead of where ever it normally opens just create a shortcut to explorer and change the properties for the target to "C:\windows\explorer.exe /n,/e,c\".

Last edited:
Caporegime
Well guys, I'll be damned if Windows 11 has not solved every problem of note that I had with Windows. The update process also worked flawlessly and everything is intact.

The main benefits for me are that:

1) It has solved my dual monitor wake up issue, where the PC kept waking up to my inactive LG TV display instead of the active monitor. This was infuriating and stressed me out every morning when I turned it on and had to take out the cable and put it back in again.

2) It has solved my laptop wifi wake up issue where wireless connects immediately when the notebook wakes up from sleep, instead of taking 30 secs. This was also also very annoying.

I am now a very happy camper. :)

Back
Top Bottom