*** Microsoft Windows 11 Thoughts & Discussion Thread ***

Caporegime
After the most recent update. You can fob it off but you have to go through it. Just let me use the OS and play a bloody game.
Oh, right. I mean, it takes 30 secs and they only do it after major updates. An annoyance for sure, but a very minor one.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Oh, right. I mean, it takes 30 secs and they only do it after major updates. An annoyance for sure, but a very minor one.

Less of a minor one if you run multiple Windows 10 systems albeit it is usually only after major updates but still. Something I don't think a lot of people appreciate what might be a minor irritation if you run just 1 or maybe 2 Windows 10/11 systems can be a far bigger irritation if like me you've got 5-6 Windows 10/11 systems in daily use, and if it wasn't for Windows 10/11 being so obnoxious I'd have it on an additional 3 systems in daily use and I've also got another handful of systems with 10/11 on which get used less often - which are a pain because if I do fire them up it is because I want to get on with doing something on them not mess about while Windows Update and other background maintenance/telemetry processes tie up the system for 30-40 minutes because they've not been used in awhile :(

Where possible I use a handful of programs including ShutUp10 and WUB to mitigate the worst of it but that isn't an ideal or even fully comprehensive solution.

EDIT: And with that many systems you can almost always guarantee at least one will have some mind numbingly stupid problem with an update costing me anywhere from 30 minutes to 6 hours to sort it - with Windows 7 at least I could avoid that for the most part and/or make sure I'm doing updates when I have time to sort any fallout at my convenience.

In case anyone missed it I have utter utter contempt for anyone who works on Windows development :s

Last edited:
Man of Honour
One annoyance that I've noticed recently since I now use a rotating wallpaper collection, is that on each rotation there's a single frame that flashes up of another image at the end of the transition to the next wallpaper.

Man of Honour
May or may not be a Windows problem as such - I stopped using stuff like that a long time ago as if you have multiple applications running with access to hardware accelerated rendering it can cause glitches when things change state resulting in momentary flashes of images or plain coloured areas, etc.

Man of Honour
It's WIndows built in wallpaper changer and causes no conflicts with anything else, just the transition end frame always flickers the previous wallpaper for a single frame:

DPiXgw2.png

The only fix I have worked out is to disable Animation Effects in Accessibility Options, but then you lose animations and things that actually make the UX nice to look at for everything else.

ZBVxaCz.png

Man of Honour
Albeit 10 not 11 but as if on cue I've got to do a repair install on one of my tablets as applying updates today corrupted something in the UI/theme resulting in text in some places being the same colour as the background it is on, etc. at least I've got a fairly chill day today so can leave it in the background hopefully sorting itself.

EDIT: Well that was more hassle than it should have been - mixture of a system file being corrupt after the update and possibly related to that a theme setting got changed (by Windows) to system default from custom, which I'd forgotten I'd changed when setting up the system and took about an hour of messing about before I discovered that on top of over an hour of leaving Windows doing a repair.

Last edited:
Soldato
What fun...
MSA-attach-WIP-blog-1024x541.png

We are continuing the exploration of badging on the Start menu with several new treatments for users logging in with local user accounts to highlight the benefits of signing in with a Microsoft account (MSA). If you see one of these treatments, give us feedback on what you think. As a reminder, it is normal for us to try out different concepts in the Dev Channel to get feedback.
Insider preview and only if using a local account but still.

Man of Honour
Dunno what it is with software development these days and instead of building a compelling product where people would actually want to use a live account, etc. instead try and frustrate, bother or beat them into doing what you want... too many talentless hacks I guess.

Same with telemetry - if you actually put some proper thought into a product and listened to user feedback you'd discover problems and how to improve a product without the need for such systems, but I guess then you can't so easily sell the data or so easily only pick on the data which says what you want to hear and ignore the rest...

Last edited:
Associate
If this goes beyond the Insider preview and unless there's a way to remove it, this will be the last straw for me I think. I'll be completely linux. The range of games I play will be reduced but I don't play so much these days anyway.

Man of Honour
Wish I could ditch Windows entirely - unfortunately way too much stuff I do can't be reliably done using Linux, not to mention some games.

Soldato
Dunno what it is with software development these days and instead of building a compelling product where people would actually want to use a live account, etc. instead try and frustrate, bother or beat them into doing what you want... too many talentless hacks I guess.

I wouldn't necessarily blame the developers, they tend to have to develop to a scope, it's the decision makers that are to blame, things are so rushed out these days and this can be bad. Back when I was a developer, people wanted nothing more than to fix issues, reduce technical debt and improve the user experience. Unfortunately the people who matter wanted a shiny new whistle that broke 17 laws of physics, invented a new dimension and solved world hunger, all to be delivered by the middle of last week with a single marketing interns experience in development.

Man of Honour
I wouldn't necessarily blame the developers, they tend to have to develop to a scope, it's the decision makers that are to blame, things are so rushed out these days and this can be bad. Back when I was a developer, people wanted nothing more than to fix issues, reduce technical debt and improve the user experience. Unfortunately the people who matter wanted a shiny new whistle that broke 17 laws of physics, invented a new dimension and solved world hunger, all to be delivered by the middle of last week with a single marketing interns experience in development.

I was kind of bundling everyone involved in the development whether programming or leadership, etc. in there.

The kind of stuff you are talking about is one of the reasons I got out of IT as a career.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I discovered something funky this past week. Setting up a camera I was mucking about with the Windows camera app and noticed it was unable to save images or videos, came up with a filecreationfailed message.

Digging a little deeper it turns out MS changed the way libraries are linked in an update to 11 in recent times. In the past if you right clicked a library folder such as "Pictures", then went into properties you could map the folder to another location, so for me this would be the documents SSD I use where resides "Pictures" parent folder.

Seems because of the mapping change, whilst most other apps detected this and worked all fine, the Camera app did not and was expecting the new style of mapping, even though the old way is still a thing and used by everything else. Camera app just won't save unless there's a mapping added in the new area.

Both areas may always have existed in 11 though, it's just the behaviour of the new way has changed and is a dependency on core MS apps like Camera. The error doesn't make it clear what the main issue is, so you have to go digging manually which was annoying.

Old way:
iZ5p40i.png

New way:
2A31JdA.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom