*** Microsoft Windows 11 Thoughts & Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
+1 For Bitwarden. Fully cross platform. Completely free too, with option for $10 a year for a few perks like checking your passwords against leaks.

Last edited:
Soldato
I still use a pin on the browser extension, leaving the vault unlocked all the time still concerns me. Not sure how much better a pin is...but makes me feel a smidge more comfortable about it

Soldato
Any of them had any leaks or concerns?
Will using one of them stop Edge saving passwords, as that checked for leaks anyway..

Bitwarden is completely open source and most people who left LastPass after their hacks the last couple of years seemed to have migrated across.

No major issues that I'm aware of. Some people prefer 1Password as I think maybe their UI is sometimes a tad better, but they're a a fair bit more money each year.

Once you setup your account, import all your passwords from edge, then just turn off password saving in edge and use the browser extention for the new password manager.

Man of Honour
Hmm first time noticing this, Windows Defender stuck in the BG using 2 threads (10% total CPU utilisation) for some reason. I go to check Task Manager and see:

94CcwZY.png

hQb7P82.png

Could just be a one off, Steam did update Cyberpunk moments earlier but that was 6GB only so nothing major and would take seconds, unless Defender for some reason was scanning the full install which would make more sense as to what was being observed I guess....

Man of Honour
Resource Monitor will show what files are being accessed by what processes - occasionally I've found Windows Defender/Malware Protection Engine getting into an infinite loop using 1-2 cores when definitions haven't updated properly and the only way to sort it is to manually reset definitions from the command line and then only if you have older ones to drop back to.

Caporegime
Whilst I can't categorically pin this on Windows 11 yet, I have never had to reinstall Windows as of as this. After a recent update, my boot gets stuck on the spinning wheel. A couple of restarts forces it to automatic repair but the screen goes blank and it does nothing. Any ideas :(?

W11, CH6, 1TB nVME

Last edited:
Man of Honour
After more recent Windows Updates that are bigger than the usual, the next restart does tend to sit on the spinning logo longer than expected, seems Windows is doing stuff in the BG - Have you waited a bit longer that one time? Multiple manual restarts will initiate a system repair which is normal behaviour anyway.

Caporegime
After more recent Windows Updates that are bigger than the usual, the next restart does tend to sit on the spinning logo longer than expected, seems Windows is doing stuff in the BG - Have you waited a bit longer that one time? Multiple manual restarts will initiate a system repair which is normal behaviour anyway.
I have given it at least an hour last night I think which to me seems reasonable. Going to reseat RAM, GPU and nVME when I get home. Just worried automatic repair doesn't seem to be doing anything either, just pray I can get into Repair Mode/Tool. Already ordered a new nVME as it was a suspected cause for another recent issue and needed a bigger one any way.

Man of Honour
An hour ia sdefo too long and anything more than a few mins would be giving me second thoughts.

When was the last time you scanned the NVMe for issues using something like CrystalDiskInfo? Also if you get into it again and WIndows loads normally, run an sfc /scannow in a command prompt window to scan for system errors and see what it reports back.?

Caporegime
An hour ia sdefo too long and anything more than a few mins would be giving me second thoughts.

When was the last time you scanned the NVMe for issues using something like CrystalDiskInfo? Also if you get into it again and WIndows loads normally, run an sfc /scannow in a command prompt window to scan for system errors and see what it reports back.?
Thanks. I think it was you who responded in one of my previous general hardware threads a few months ago (thanks), and the nVME passed all tests back then.

Back
Top Bottom