*** Microsoft Windows 11 Thoughts & Discussion Thread ***

Man of Honour
Yeah one of the first things I did was reinstate the old right click Image Preview menu item on 11 - I have no idea what went through the mind (apparently nothing) of the person who removed that - such a useful tool when trying to find something on the fly.

Soldato
bloatware
They're going to try forcing this Copilot bloatware down people's throats. :(

Microsoft has announced the biggest change to its keyboards in three decades with the introduction of an artificial intelligence (AI) key.

The key will allow users to access Copilot, Microsoft's AI tool, on new Windows 11 PCs.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
On another note MS is building up a hideous issue for themselves... they are trying to replace a lot of Win32 APIs (which underpin most programs) with new APIs for 10 and 11, problem is the replacement APIs while incredibly powerful are generally overly complicated i.e. if you just want to play a system sound in your program in Win32 you can simply call sndPlaySound, if you follow the convention MS wants you to in 10/11 you have to either use WASAPI or Audio Graphs requiring setting up the entire audio device chain and memory - at least 200+ lines of code and basically having to implement 1/3rd of the code for an audio application even if your program is nothing to do with audio itself. These APIs are generally a complete spaghetti of complex interfaces and generally lacking documentation, lacking example code and quite prohibitive to break into, even if they are at the core well designed, which often they aren't...

At some point down the line some poor person(s) is going to have to replace those APIs with something better while likely also having to retain backwards compatibility with those 10/11 APIs and probably Win32 as well... oh well...

Associate
I was uninstalling crap i dont use yesterday and i noticed you can now uninstall Cortana... happy days

Did you use a guide to see what can/can't be removed? I'm still going through and nerfing stuff. It's like going back to the XP days where you had to disable a bunch of things and have a whole list of alternative software installed in a very certain way on the 3rd Tuesday after the full moon to get everything working smoothly.

Soldato
Has anyone considered using this tool?

I am tempted to give it a try when I next do an Windows 11 re install. It also allows you to create an ISO of Windows 11 with a few options removed first.

Screen shots a bit out dated compared to the tool that's released

Don
Has anyone considered using this tool?

I am tempted to give it a try when I next do an Windows 11 re install. It also allows you to create an ISO of Windows 11 with a few options removed first.

Screen shots a bit out dated compared to the tool that's released
Open source so looks pretty good and safe

The windows updates scripts look useful as well:

Soldato
Yep, its all open source stuff and available via Github.

A video of someone using it and more up to date than the screen shots on the site for looks of the tool etc. Also shows the ISO creation using the original Windows 11 ISO as well

Soldato
Finally got 23H2 update installed, turns out Secure Boot was off. ASUS BIOS default Secure Boot settings are strange. My PC had started feeling sluggish but now its back feeling snappy, don’t know what happened?

Soldato
Finally took the plunge and updated my son's PC to Windows 11 over the weekend.

All went fairly seamlessly, only thing it did was delete a load of his desktop shortcuts and I never took a screen shot of these.

I did do a backup via the disk image option in Windows 10 so mounted this an copied over the missing shortcuts

Finally got 23H2 update installed, turns out Secure Boot was off. ASUS BIOS default Secure Boot settings are strange. My PC had started feeling sluggish but now its back feeling snappy, don’t know what happened?

Not too sure what version was installed of Windows 11 but I created a USB stick and removed the requirements for the need to install Windows 11, Will have to keep this in mind.

Back
Top Bottom