*** Microsoft Windows 11 Thoughts & Discussion Thread ***

Caporegime
Just loaded a HDR movie file via Microsoft Media Player

Clipboard02.jpg

It now comes out bright yellows and whites, tries to flick to HDR, then it's normal, then back to this again. Was fine pre-update!

VLC Player working fine

Last edited:
Soldato
It's the security chip thing (or lack of!) my system is a 7700k /3060ti which for me is perfectly good enough for anything I throw at it so pretty annoyed to have MS deem it useless...
just had the same on this puter, it has an i5 6600k, unsupported apparently. WIll run W10 until security updates stop, i guess. don't suppose my mobo will accept much more modern so it would probably be a full upgrade :-/
you can force Win11 on an "unsupported" spec, but i'm betting you're on your own from that point, if own goes wrong.

Soldato
just had the same on this puter, it has an i5 6600k, unsupported apparently. WIll run W10 until security updates stop, i guess. don't suppose my mobo will accept much more modern so it would probably be a full upgrade :-/
you can force Win11 on an "unsupported" spec, but i'm betting you're on your own from that point, if own goes wrong.
Yeah I had the same CPU - i7 7700k was the "max" the mobo would take but having done a little delving there doesn't seem to be any justification why MS deem it not worthy of running win 11.
Maybe they'll loosen up these demands closer the time as my system is more than quick enough for my needs... Else it'll be Linux I guess !

Soldato
What's all your thoughts on the recently released Windows 11 IoT Enterprise?
I love that its practically boat free and dont have to uninstall a ton of stuff to get windows "Clean".

Although im assuming it still has a ton of telemetry?
I wonder if it would be good for gaming?

Don
What's all your thoughts on the recently released Windows 11 IoT Enterprise?
Windows 11 IoT Enterprise is just Windows 11 Enterprise but with policies and the like available to lock down dedicated devices (e.g. Kiosks, work tablets etc) to specific applications.
Both Enterprise and IoT Enterprise cost more and aren't generally available to normal users.

I love that its practically boat free and dont have to uninstall a ton of stuff to get windows "Clean".
It's not bloat free - it has all the same apps and services as the regular version.
The main selling point of Enterprise/LTSC is the longer support period (10 years extended), due to it not receiving feature updates (which equally is a bad point for home use, as the older versions do get left behind with some apps not supporting the older builds that LTSC is based on)

Although im assuming it still has a ton of telemetry?
This is the only thing that is different. The telemetry data level can be changed on both the Education and Enterprise versions, whereas on Home and Pro is normally set to "Required".

I wonder if it would be good for gaming?
It would be exactly the same as regular Windows 11

Man of Honour
Annoys me they don't make the Professional version more like a power user version with less bloat and more options to take control of stuff :( I don't mind paying extra for that and don't care what they do with the Home version(s) if that option is there.

Soldato
The bloat is a primary reason I use Enterprise images. Working the images with MSMG's ToolKit helps get rid of the bloat, Enterprise gives me that extra control.

Last edited:
Soldato
My Windows 11 PC keeps hiding task bar icons, specifically Spotify. I like having my icons visible so I have the "hidden icon menu" turned off and then the icons I actually use turned on. But Spotify keeps turning itself off.

This is annoying as it seems to disable the media keys at the same time when it hides. Is there any way to tell Windows to always show Spotify? The other always on apps do stay always on (albeit used a lot less frequently).

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I never hav status bar icons hide again after an app update, ever. Spotify user here too. I do use StarAllBack though which is probably why.

Soldato
Man of Honour
Two weeks before Recall is due to be released it's already been hacked.

In this case a lot of the security features aren't there yet but still. Anyone who thinks this won't be a massive target for attackers and eventually compromised is foolish. That isn't to say it shouldn't necessarily exist as a feature but it definitely should not be being pushed on users and/or a situation like too many Windows features where you can't turn it off or fully turn it off.

Similar magic things have been said about automatic sample submission in Windows Security - people have shown it isn't as good at not uploading what might be private data as MS claims and have shown that, albeit via a carefully crafted file, on the MS end these files can be executed or loaded in an unsafe way and/or result in data leakage. I'm amazed there hasn't been more kick back against it especially in a business context.

Last edited:
Soldato
Microsoft wonders why 70% of users aren't migrating away from Windows 10.

I don't like the idea of a full screen nag notification "reminding" people to upgrade.

They are even doing it for machines not capable of upgrading. Literally encouraging people to buy a new computers because of a Microsoft bad marketing decision to block older hardware from upgrading.

All it needs now to sink Microsofts PR is an image of a kid in the poor areas of Brazil sat next to a Windows 10 machine with the full screen nagging message telling him to buy the latest computer.

Soldato
I migrated away from Windows 10 - to Linux.

I toyed with it for a long time but didn't take the plunge mostly due to gaming. But gaming on Linux is brilliant now. I can say with conviction that I'm never going back.
Did the same about 7 years ago. It was a little more effort getting games working then but these days there are only a handful of games that don't work or need tweaking to get working.

Back
Top Bottom