*** Microsoft Windows 11 Thoughts & Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
In this case a lot of the security features aren't there yet but still. Anyone who thinks this won't be a massive target for attackers and eventually compromised is foolish. That isn't to say it shouldn't necessarily exist as a feature but it definitely should not be being pushed on users and/or a situation like too many Windows features where you can't turn it off or fully turn it off.

Similar magic things have been said about automatic sample submission in Windows Security - people have shown it isn't as good at not uploading what might be private data as MS claims and have shown that, albeit via a carefully crafted file, on the MS end these files can be executed or loaded in an unsafe way and/or result in data leakage. I'm amazed there hasn't been more kick back against it especially in a business context.
Government’s will force MS to give them access and police will force users. The only thing I need to know about this is how to completely remove it.

Man of Honour
I made the mistake of "upgrading" to 11 pro yesterday and what a horrible looking, bloated pile of crap it is. It took me ages to get rid of the bloat such as Teams, Co-pilot and all the other garbage it installs that I will never use as well as editing group policy and the registry to disable other stuff. I then downloaded and set up StartAllBack to make it look like 10 again and move the taskbar back where it belongs. These extra "features" should be opt in and not forced on us.

Soldato
What's the best debloater to use on windows 11?
Powershell.

More specifically I'd ask what you're trying to achieve by debloating it? Because if it's for extra performance/FPS you'll notice very little difference, if it's to save storage space I'd suggest getting a bigger drive as they're pretty cheap, if it's more a privacy thing then personally I'd suggest O&O Shutup as last time i went through all the settings it changed that had the least false positives (registry settings that do nothing, outright wrong, or depreciated).

Then again if privacy was a major concern i wouldn't suggest Windows at all as MS seem intent on going down the road of all your data belongs to us.

Last edited:
Soldato
Nobody will opt-in, so it'll get abandoned anyway, taking the scenic route.
Maybe, maybe not. Put yourself in the mind of a what's this computer thing about then type of person for a moment and tell me how you'd answer this...

OOBEAsset_1920-1024x649.png

Not so much opt-in as it doesn't default to opted-out, it's more a you choose type of thing with a hint of a dark pattern.

Man of Honour
Nobody will opt-in, so it'll get abandoned anyway, taking the scenic route.
You'd be surprised. If you explain the dark **** that there's actual documentation/evidence for then people still don't believe you that they'd do it, so try explaining why this stuff is bad when it hasn't even happened yet. Non-starter. I guess if there's a widespread backlash then word can get out, but usually the noise in hardware circles doesn't penetrate far outwards, that's why someone like Linus is so important to be speaking out.

Man of Honour
Notice the wording on the "opt-in" screen - doesn't say the feature won't be doing something just that it won't save screenshots...

Reactions: TNA
Associate
If people don't opt in knowing Microsoft and the scummy things they do I reckon they would force it through on a "update" anyway. Just think of the space this will take up on the drives not to mention all the extra read/writes!!
They'll definitely flip a flag after the scandal dies down.

When they shove something like this down your throat, you know it's not for your benefit - it's just another mechanism to sell your data.

Man of Honour
They'll definitely flip a flag after the scandal dies down.

When they shove something like this down your throat, you know it's not for your benefit - it's just another mechanism to sell your data.

Given the wording of the screen above does sound like it'll still be scraping your screen for data just not saving the screenshot...

And I highly suspect the developers would be the first ones complaining if someone did this to them.

Associate
Given the wording of the screen above does sound like it'll still be scraping your screen for data just not saving the screenshot...

And I highly suspect the developers would be the first ones complaining if someone did this to them.
No way businesses will be happy about this in any form either. Can imagine that this is only the start.

Man of Honour
No way businesses will be happy about this in any form either. Can imagine that this is only the start.

I can actually see some business uses for the feature - especially in situations where security (so as to detect and document misuse) or accountability are important.

Associate
I can actually see some business uses for the feature - especially in situations where security (so as to detect and document misuse) or accountability are important.
I more mean around the security of how that data is stored and transferred. Maybe they’ll offer some enterprise setup that isolates the data, etc.

Assuming all those boxes are checked then I can see how it could be used for auditing.

Back
Top Bottom