*** Microsoft Windows 11 Thoughts & Discussion Thread ***

Man of Honour
I can actually see some business uses for the feature - especially in situations where security (so as to detect and document misuse) or accountability are important.
I would guess that they already log all interactions with the UI / database of that software in those kind of scenarios anyway.

Man of Honour
I more mean around the security of how that data is stored and transferred. Maybe they’ll offer some enterprise setup that isolates the data, etc.

Assuming all those boxes are checked then I can see how it could be used for auditing.

Yeah got what you meant, but for auditing type use I can see it taking it to another level.

I would guess that they already log all interactions with the UI / database of that software in those kind of scenarios anyway.

Yeah but a feature like this for auditing type use could take it to another level, being able to flag suspicious activity more passive systems couldn't identify and enhanced ability to search for specific things.

Last edited:
Soldato
The only time I use windows now is for work! Linux full time for me personally due to “recall” mainly
What? :cry:

You will use Linux full time personally? Windows Recall already has open source alternative called OpenRecall that captures your digital history through regularly taken snapshots worked on Windows, MacOS and Linux.

What will you do? Ditch Linux and Windows and create your own OS? :cry:

Soldato
The thing i can't get over with Recall is how MS failed to read the room so badly. I know there's been plenty of examples of how they're not on the same page as their customers and how tone deaf they are when it comes to feedback, but Recall seems to have brought that disconnect to the forefront like never before.

Man of Honour
What? :cry:

You will use Linux full time personally? Windows Recall already has open source alternative called OpenRecall that captures your digital history through regularly taken snapshots worked on Windows, MacOS and Linux.

What will you do? Ditch Linux and Windows and create your own OS? :cry:
Microsoft has an overwhelming incentive (like, trillion $$ incentive, see nvidia RE:AI) to abuse the dominance of their software and a history of flipping things on, ignoring user preferences and going further and further with every OS into invading your privacy. Recall is just one step at the beginning of this road and it won't be stopping any time soon.

Man of Honour
The thing i can't get over with Recall is how MS failed to read the room so badly. I know there's been plenty of examples of how they're not on the same page as their customers and how tone deaf they are when it comes to feedback, but Recall seems to have brought that disconnect to the forefront like never before.

It is happening with a lot of software companies at the moment - see Adobe Photoshop, Autodesk with their AI attempts, etc. for example, because customers haven't pushed back these companies seem to be thinking it is OK to do these kind of things and what always annoys me the people making these decisions are often the first ones to complain when the boot is on the other foot.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Microsoft has an overwhelming incentive (like, trillion $$ incentive, see nvidia RE:AI) to abuse the dominance of their software and a history of flipping things on, ignoring user preferences and going further and further with every OS into invading your privacy. Recall is just one step at the beginning of this road and it won't be stopping any time soon.

I can see it. Windows might just be my gaming os only in the future. Used to love Windows. But can't stand the trajectory they are heading in.

Associate
I can see it. Windows might just be my gaming os only in the future. Used to love Windows. But can't stand the trajectory they are heading in.
Part of me is hoping that bigger companies find some incentive in either contributing to Linux or pulling a MacOS (unix based OS), specifically for desktop use as there’s obviously already significant contribution in the server world.

Windows is already at the bottom of the pile for developers, and a large chunk of those users use WSL anyway. Need more work on the gaming side and Windows will lose another market.

Soldato
I had PC Manager re-installed through Windows updates, on my Laptop this week.
What are they gaining by doing this? If I wanted additional **** installed on this thing, I'd go and install it.
If I've went to the trouble of removing the garbage you keep adding, why re-add it? I get that they do minimal testing for their updates now, but they must do some sort of focus-test on how things are received?

Soldato
My install is a few years old, I do wonder if there might be a slow down and possibly a hit in games slightly but I don't really want to re install Windows.

Is there any software or measures I can take to "refresh" the system so it's pretty much as healthy as new? So all my games, launchers etc.. haven't been removed and settings

Soldato
edit : ignore, I thought I had seen a video on YouTube that said there wasn’t much difference between an old bloated install vs fresh but I can’t seem to find it, so I might have imagined it

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Wish there was a proper way to stop Windows 11 periodically re-flagging automatic sample submission not being enabled which doesn't mean disabling or partially degrading the built in anti-malware :(

Associate
Wish there was a proper way to stop Windows 11 periodically re-flagging automatic sample submission not being enabled which doesn't mean disabling or partially degrading the built in anti-malware :(

Was thinking the same the other day. I'm just going to ignore it now. No matter how many times I dismiss it, it moans the next day.

Back
Top Bottom