*** Microsoft Windows 11 Thoughts & Discussion Thread ***

Associate
Been using StartAllBack for eons and recently installed the trial of Start11 and fully configured it to a similar level as what I have StartAllBack to then compare usability and general UX.My review, Screenshot 1 is Start11, #2 is StartAllBack.StartAllBack offers more scope of customisationa nd coherence to the dark system theme. Like you can see there are more subtle elements made dark vs with what Start11 offers. The classic Control Panel for example is fully dark whereas it has the white BG with Start11.

2024.05.21_Start11..png

2023.11.08_StartAllBack.jpg

I also prefer the dynamic island style taskbar BG on StartAllBack vs Start11's floating single bar.

I don't like that Start11's start menu doesn't have a fly-out All Programs listing option like on StartAllBack, but I do prefer the level of customisation you have in Start11's start menu like grouping apps, removing icon labels to make it tidier etc.

I feel that StartAllBack appeals to my old school power user preferences more. I like seeing all the installed apps in one big flyout menu rather than having to either scroll or filter using the more modern options in Start11.

Either way, both offer a superior boost to customisation and usability over the stock Windows 11 start menu and taskbar/presentations, with StartAllBack going one step further and actually giving options to tweak File Explorer and other areas of the OS too.

I've installed StartAllBlack today for the first time and I've been playing around with it quite a bit. Safe to say I shall not be looking back.

It's so much cleaner, the level of customisation is perfect. It also feels snappier when using the desktop because it removes all the stock win11 bloaty crap.

Soldato
Just had a startup window appear (windows 10) informing me that MS will kill suppport for it in October next year and that my PC doesn't meet criteria for windows 11 due to the mobo being archaic... Feels like MS have just put a shelf life on me as a PC Gamer. B'stards!

Man of Honour
Just had a startup window appear (windows 10) informing me that MS will kill suppport for it in October next year and that my PC doesn't meet criteria for windows 11 due to the mobo being archaic... Feels like MS have just put a shelf life on me as a PC Gamer. B'stards!

Games will start "requiring" Windows 11 soon (despite not actually doing anything which wouldn't be possible on 7).

Soldato
Just had a startup window appear (windows 10) informing me that MS will kill support for it in October next year and that my PC doesn't meet criteria for windows 11 due to the mobo being archaic... Feels like MS have just put a shelf life on me as a PC Gamer.
Handy to know they've started doing that ty.
In case you didn't know, it's possible to install Windows 11 on a system that doesn't meet the hardware requirements. (I'm using one right now) Can provide info if needed.

Soldato

What actual problem is it calling out, some AMD boards were disabling some security thing or other that's built into the CPU, could be something simple to get you on the Windows 11 train :D

Soldato
What actual problem is it calling out, some AMD boards were disabling some security thing or other that's built into the CPU, could be something simple to get you on the Windows 11 train :D
It's the security chip thing (or lack of!) my system is a 7700k /3060ti which for me is perfectly good enough for anything I throw at it so pretty annoyed to have MS deem it useless...

Man of Honour
It's the security chip thing (or lack of!) my system is a 7700k /3060ti which for me is perfectly good enough for anything I throw at it so pretty annoyed to have MS deem it useless...
6th gen PCs with secure boot enabled and a (external) TPM 2.0 chip work just fine and you can install it no problem. 7th gen should definitely be fine, since it has better support for the hardware security features than 6th gen. If you don't have a TPM header, I don't know if 7th gen can enable firmware TPM.

Soldato
TPM, thats the thing I was on about..

What board you got, might be able to get one for an internal header if you have one, then you can really join in with all the Windows 11 moans :D

Man of Honour
Eventually they will probably clamp down more on it, unless there is a direction change at MS.
It wouldn't install for me with 6th gen unless secure boot and TPM were enabled, but I wasn't using rufus, just the default MS Software. Once they were enabled, it only asked to confirm the CPU was unsupported and a fresh install or in-place upgrade worked fine.

Soldato
Eventually they will probably clamp down more on it, unless there is a direction change at MS.
From my understanding they've lifted the restriction on the Enterprise IOT version so there's hope they'll do the same with the normal version later down the line, probably a few months after the EOL of Windows 10 and they've got as many people to associate a TPM key with their Windows 11 install.

Soldato
I mean who the **** dreamt up the ideas of taking screenshots and or videos of your entire work/play/browsing session? In my 30+ years of working in IT I have never once had anyone even remotely think such a constantly running feature was a solution to any problem. I might enable a recording sessions for meeting or triaging purposes to catch an obscure issue (it’s always PEBKAC).

Oh don’t worry we don’t take screenshots of your browser or emails or other personal stuff. We promise. :rolleyes:
Many moons ago at one company, a colleague left and we were clearing his PC and found exactly this. A service he had written that was taken screenshots of his own PC every minute.

I was a little baffled, but, in a wholesome way, I see what MS are doing.

Now we have AI, we can turn those screens into something meaningful.

Now, the things I do on my PC aren't always wholesome and this is where the problem lies.

If I playing Flight Simulator or looking up recipes, knock yourselves out MS.

If I'm looking at my finances or perving over FeetWiki. Stay away. :mad:

Don't get me started on the whole desktop Advertising thing. Can you imagine, having to watch a 30 second advert on your nav screen before starting your car. Your washing machine playing an advert before you can open the door to clean washing. Stock and shares being shown on your microwave display.

Soldato
Many moons ago at one company, a colleague left and we were clearing his PC and found exactly this. A service he had written that was taken screenshots of his own PC every minute.

Now, the things I do on my PC aren't always wholesome and this is where the problem lies.

Don't get me started on the whole desktop Advertising thing. Can you imagine, having to watch a 30 second advert on your nav screen before starting your car. Your washing machine playing an advert before you can open the door to clean washing. Stock and shares being shown on your microwave display.

I do see the merit of the reason for IT support or training purposes. But when it is done as standard and used to collect use data, it becomes more nefarious.

Like you I don’t care about the mundane stuff, but when I’m doing my finances etc.

Man of Honour
:o

I do see the merit of the reason for IT support or training purposes. But when it is done as standard and used to collect use data, it becomes more nefarious.

Like you I don’t care about the mundane stuff, but when I’m doing my finances etc.
I didn't even think of that, they'll be using AI to profile people and identify their levels of productivity/efficiency 'n stuff :(

Soldato

Oh I get it its for AI farming that makes sense they can probably make a mint out of it using our personal images for generating content which they can sell/licence. Outrageous.

Back
Top Bottom