*** Microsoft Windows 11 Thoughts & Discussion Thread ***

Associate
I haven't upgraded to my new laptop yet and I decided I might as well try the free windows 11 upgrade when I get it There's no poin in trying it on my current DELL INSPIRON as:-
1. The specs're too low
2. I'm planning on upgrading to my new one within the next two weeks, probaby next weekend.

But what's the general opinion on the windows 11 free upgrade?

Associate
Since it came to the beta channel the other day I thought I'd take a look. Have to say so far I quite like it, not run into any issues thus far either.

Thanks. When I was looking at laptops (in physical form while seeing what's on the market) I was given a good reccomendation for a casual gamer like myself and the specs were tasy enough for my liking and if I had the money I would have been walking out of the place with one.

My main games:
DOOM
SKYRIM SE which for reasons known only to itself now REFUSES point blank to work on my current one now (I've uninstalled the mods, wiping the files of STEAM seems to work but SKRYIM won't work again. The guy I was talking to recoons it could be something to do with the [aging) graphics card [I've had it for four years and am looking at upgrading to my new one in the next two weeks)
WOLFENSTEIN (The Machine Games ones)
ELITE DANGEROUS

Last edited:
Soldato
In case anybody had the same issue like I did I found an easy workaround. My Win11 install from a bootable usb kept requiring drivers for media spite diskpart seeing everything just fine and the usb booting just fine. Workaround for me was to make a UEFI WinPE stick and boot that with secure boot and fTPM enabled and then start the Win11 installation from an extracted ISO I had on a second harddrive. Worked without hickups and went smooth. Bonus with this approach is that I now have a troubleshooting stick with plenty of tools for fixing stuff :)

Associate
I have 2 machines with windows11 on but the one that has a network card gives the option to encrypt DNS over HTTPS but my laptop with WiFi only doesn't have the option, I just see (Unencrypted) by the side of the DNS setting. I'm using pihole+cloudflare at the moment! is this just a none WiFi thing ? or does this option appear on Intel WiFi Cards..

Associate
Did the upgrade through Windows update, pc gone into a boot loop... Sigh

FInally got it running with a fresh install, i like it.. feels a lot more polished than 10, not come across any issues so far

Edit: First bug, cant get my speaker to work via USB only bluetooth

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks for the responses. I haven't upgraded to my new laptop (sometime within the next two weeks).
On past occasions I've walked around a certain shop picking one out at random and hoping for the best (The last time I HAD to go and grab one of the sales staff and when I'm on the shop floor at least I approach customers who look a bit lost or might need some help). But at least I know which one I want this time.
My current one (A DELL INSPIRON 1500) has'nt got the proverbial cat in Helll's chance of runnning Windows 11.
But which google apps does windows 11 run?

Last edited:
Associate
I have 2 machines with windows11 on but the one that has a network card gives the option to encrypt DNS over HTTPS but my laptop with WiFi only doesn't have the option, I just see (Unencrypted) by the side of the DNS setting. I'm using pihole+cloudflare at the moment! is this just a none WiFi thing ? or does this option appear on Intel WiFi Cards..

All good now, I had to install GPEDIT and enable the feature in the DNS Client section using Require DOH then just forward to my local DNS

Back
Top Bottom