*** Microsoft Windows 11 Thoughts & Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
Guys, can you do the 10 to 11 upgrade (offered via Win Update) only using a local account without having to faff around logging in with an email etc.? Some contradicting information from what I gather online but I only want a local account on my machine. Cheers!
When I had a brief play with Win 11 in a VM I used Rufus to make the bootable USB and get rid of the online accounts and telemetry.

Soldato
In windows 11 is there any way to show the progress of a transfer of a file from one folder to another in the taskbar like it use to on Win10?
Use to be handy to quick glance and see what the progress was and to open up the transfer window but now i have to hover over the window icon in taskbar before it loads the open window preview

Last edited:
Man of Honour
In windows 11 is there any way to show the progress of a transfer of a file from one folder to another in the taskbar like it use to on Win10?
Use to be handy to quick glance and see what the progress was and to open up the transfer window but now i have to hover over the window icon in taskbar before it loads the open window preview
It still does this, if the progress dialogue is behind other windows, then you can glance at the taskbar tab for it as it is shaded with a green background acting as the progress bar:

hd2H4Id.png

Last edited:
Soldato
What the ****. I thought that was supposed to be some lame mounting joke when I saw this post a few hours ago, now that I’ve seen it on Twitter it turns out someone did a lazy zip to postcode translation???? :eek::cry:

Feels like an April fools joke!

Man of Honour
Microsoft still haven't fixed the large file transfer overhead in Explorer. When copying or moving very large single files around, you can repeatedly encounter the phenomenon where the transfer dialogue simply pauses and Windows has a 5-7 second tea break then realises "oh yeah I was moving this file, back to work!":

S2vzKIE.png

Using FreeFyleSync (or any other tool for that matter that bypasses the Windows storage stack) does not see this issue:

Yl3iZzY.png

Then, go back to Explorer and try doing the same again and suddenly it's all fine:

IOYl0rU.png

LolWindows.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Microsoft still haven't fixed the large file transfer overhead in Explorer. Whne copying or moving very large single files around, you can repeatedly encounter the phenomenon where the transfer dialogue simply pauses and Windows has a 5-7 second tea break then realises "oh yeah I was moving this file, back to work!":

Partly related to the Malware Protection Engine :(

Man of Honour
Yeah I suspect so, Defender is quite heavy handed with random actions like that.

On the one hand it is good it is doing stuff on the other hand one of the advantages it had over 3rd party AV was being relatively light in impact while being effective - recent updates it seems to just become more and more heavy handed.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom