Middle Earth: Shadow of War

Soldato
I've uninstalled now sorry, just lost my temper with it. It's the first main area of the game, the fortress/castle, the enemy is apparently underneath near the edge of a cliff.

It's here, big circle, underground (must be because using the vision doesn't help) : https://i.imgur.com/j1jqn6N.png

Pic was from online I just added the red.

Soldato
Posted on the deals, but will put it here too, shadow of war definitive edition is only £8.49 on cdkeys at the moment, so i bought it.

Is there much of an online fort attack scene atm?

V F

V F

Soldato
I've uninstalled now sorry, just lost my temper with it. It's the first main area of the game, the fortress/castle, the enemy is apparently underneath near the edge of a cliff.

It's here, big circle, underground (must be because using the vision doesn't help) : https://i.imgur.com/j1jqn6N.png

Pic was from online I just added the red.

Hmm, I've been past that section but I don't seem to remember that?

I remember a long hill down there to the elve challenges. There was also one of those dog beast things guarding a door...

Posted on the deals, but will put it here too, shadow of war definitive edition is only £8.49 on cdkeys at the moment, so i bought it.

Is there much of an online fort attack scene atm?

I got it on the Steam sale for £11.xx. Fort attack? Not that I'm aware, it was online vendetta's...

Soldato
Hmm, I've been past that section but I don't seem to remember that?

I remember a long hill down there to the elve challenges. There was also one of those dog beast things guarding a door...

I got it on the Steam sale for £11.xx. Fort attack? Not that I'm aware, it was online vendetta's...

There are online conquests as well, which I assume is what @Unseul is referring to.

There are plenty of online conquests to undertake if you want to, where you can attack other players' forts, but no one ever attacked one of my forts and I gather from online discussion that most people aren't getting their forts attacked either. So from the attacking side there should be plenty to do, but there doesn't seem to be much point building up a defence to test other online besiegers.

Soldato
What's the reason they're not getting into that? The time it takes to build up their army?

I guess it's partly that the player base is pretty big and only, I dunno... 10-15% of people get into the online conquests in any big way so the chances of your fort being one of the ones being attacked by them at any given time are not very large.

But yeah, it is a significant time-sink to build up a testing army just for online play (and you don't really need it for SP). And if there's no way to guarantee your fort is going to get attacked anyway, it's not really worth the time.

I have to admit I didn't do any online content in the end. It was on my mind that I was going to when I got to the end-game, but I found that by the shadow wars section I was starting to feel a little bit jaded with the whole recruitment-levelling treadmill so I didn't bother.

Soldato
Think I read that any orc killed in attacking an online fort is lost in your single player as well, which may explain peoples reluctance.
Yes this is true. I played Online raids for a good few weeks but they just got boring. I'd spent a good amount of time collecting prestine stat orcs for my Nurn fortress since that is where most players will experience their first online raid and I wanted to make their job hard. In the end the whole task became too dull and long winded so I gave up, uninstalled and got my disk space back :)

Great game though, really enjoyed it.

Soldato
Decided to give gravewalker difficulty a try. 2 hits from regular orcs and you're dead... going to be an interesting challenge when I start facing ranged enemies. Going to need to improve my stealth and brand all archers quick I guess. Powerful captains are likely all going to be one hit kills, interesting times :D.

V F

V F

Soldato
Decided to give gravewalker difficulty a try. 2 hits from regular orcs and you're dead... going to be an interesting challenge when I start facing ranged enemies. Going to need to improve my stealth and brand all archers quick I guess. Powerful captains are likely all going to be one hit kills, interesting times :D.

Plus there are no last chances. The poison captains will be brutal on that difficulty let alone the fast lunging double axe swinging captains.

Soldato
Plus there are no last chances. The poison captains will be brutal on that difficulty let alone the fast lunging double axe swinging captains.

Yeah, dropped down to nemesis level. I don't mind dying, the game has a fantastic way to work with that, but I'd find that I'd manage to kill one captain, be very low, only to have a grunt or a second captain ambush and kill me, one for one trades have me losing too much :D. May move back to gravewalker once I have a few more skills unlocked.

V F

V F

Soldato
Even on Nemesis I found it brutal at times more so the poison captains. A few hits of that stuff and the health bar was in the red. If anyone else swung at you during that moment or an arrow, you were on your knees for a last chance.

Gravewalker may be fun if one has spent a lot of crazy hours grinding all the mechanics and battles.

Even on Nemesis I've found it hairy when 7 - 11 captains have all spawned one after another. Let alone the ones on caragors and the captains with those explosions that knocks half your health. Vendetta missions can be brutal for that scenario.

Soldato
Yeah, not that far into it yet, but fairly fresh from shadow of mordor. Will see if it gets too much or not, so far I just miss being able to execute/dominate quickly and twice, but I guess that'll come with skill points.

Soldato
Around level 9/10 I think (maybe a smidge higher), just done the arena since I want to get to dominating orcs. The nemesis battle was tough. I did the nemesis forge in SOM and whilst my nemesis wasn't the toughest orc I could find, he was quite decent and I leveled him up. In SOW he was level 19 legendary, agile, No Chance, beast fodder but enraged by Caragors (and killed them in a hit), immune to arrows. He was also clumsy but grabbing and shanking him didn't really help very much in terms of health.

Due to the No chance I got him about a single hit away from dying 3-4 times, he'd smack me hard (he had throwing darts which were really annoying, kept catching me out) and finish me off straight away. In the end my strategy was more or less correct for killing him, just had to be doubly careful when health got too low. By the end of the fight he'd adapted to vaulting, hammer frost blow (very annoying against an agile opponent with a quick widespread range option!), but managed to take out enough orcs to build the might to land the final execution. Really satisfying fight, and hope he comes back, if he does, it'll hopefully be with a pegleg along with a 2nd claw, but a previous orc I'd executed in that way came back with just a pegleg and no claw, so we'll see.

Really loving the characters, the variety in orc captains is much nicer, and I do enjoy it when they cheat death. Finding the run away option rather useful, but normally try and stay close enough to still be in the fight as such.

Soldato
Started playing this last night and got a few hours in, think I'm around lvl 6 or 7 with a couple of legendary items.

I'm struggling with the thought process behind some of the controls, such as space bar to run, jump, double jump, elf dash or whatever it's called.

Hitting 5 in the middle of a fight for a frenzy... it just seems illogical.

graphics on my old R9 280 are good and the game itself seems good so far, lots of captains killed etc and lots of variation.

Soldato
Using an xbox one controller myself, find it much easier when the game has been basically designed for it. Slowly been increasing the field of view to get more vision.

Got dominate now, much more fun when you can get orcs fighting with you, the more you get, the easier it is to dominate the next one etc etc. Trying to recruit captains now, not worrying too much about their skills, just need numbers, might get fussy later.

Soldato
Around level 9/10 I think (maybe a smidge higher), just done the arena since I want to get to dominating orcs. The nemesis battle was tough. I did the nemesis forge in SOM and whilst my nemesis wasn't the toughest orc I could find, he was quite decent and I leveled him up. In SOW he was level 19 legendary, agile, No Chance, beast fodder but enraged by Caragors (and killed them in a hit), immune to arrows. He was also clumsy but grabbing and shanking him didn't really help very much in terms of health.

Due to the No chance I got him about a single hit away from dying 3-4 times, he'd smack me hard (he had throwing darts which were really annoying, kept catching me out) and finish me off straight away. In the end my strategy was more or less correct for killing him, just had to be doubly careful when health got too low. By the end of the fight he'd adapted to vaulting, hammer frost blow (very annoying against an agile opponent with a quick widespread range option!), but managed to take out enough orcs to build the might to land the final execution. Really satisfying fight, and hope he comes back, if he does, it'll hopefully be with a pegleg along with a 2nd claw, but a previous orc I'd executed in that way came back with just a pegleg and no claw, so we'll see.

Really loving the characters, the variety in orc captains is much nicer, and I do enjoy it when they cheat death. Finding the run away option rather useful, but normally try and stay close enough to still be in the fight as such.

Haha - yeah, that sounds very similar to my arena nemesis fight! My guy didn't have no chance, though, thankfully, but did have one of those big iron shields that mean he was immune to frontal attacks and he fully regenerate health. He had all the other resistances just like yours. It was quite a fight! I really wanted to see him again after that fight as well, but never did. :(

Started playing this last night and got a few hours in, think I'm around lvl 6 or 7 with a couple of legendary items.

I'm struggling with the thought process behind some of the controls, such as space bar to run, jump, double jump, elf dash or whatever it's called.

Hitting 5 in the middle of a fight for a frenzy... it just seems illogical.

graphics on my old R9 280 are good and the game itself seems good so far, lots of captains killed etc and lots of variation.

The good thing about being a lefty is I I am used to always having to remap controls as soon as I open a game. Even then I had to re-remap a couple of times in the early hours to get a layout I was comfortable with. There are a lot of keys you need to pick out quickly in the heat of battle, and yeah, a lot of double-function keys. The latter you do just get used to after a little while I found.

Soldato
I'm now intrigued as to how my follower will turn out, he was basically insane in the nemesis forge, just made soft noises and clicked his teeth together, so I'm hoping for a maniac!

Back
Top Bottom