Miele really worth it?

Man of Honour
I'm moving soon and the new house doesn't have a washing machine. I'm wanting something that's going to last me rather than get something for half the price that would end up need repairing in a few years. Is it really worth spending in excess of £500 on a Miele or similar product?

Soldato
White goods are definitely not something to cheap out on. Consider the value of all the clothes you'll be putting in it.

I wouldn't necessarily get a miele, purely because of cost, but the LG direct drive machines are very good and very quiet too. Big fan of them (and the Samsung ones to a lesser extent).

Soldato
Spend a reasonable amount but you don't have to go top end. Which? reviews are handy as a guide. You don't have to break the bank.

Man of Honour
OP
Bank breaking isn't an issue, I have a very healthy budget for moving and buying appliances, but obviously if I could get something for £500 instead of £1000 that does and lasts the same I'm not going to say no.

Soldato
they are worth the money, if you have the cash,

but I went for the LG direct drive Machine and matching Dryer, £1400 for the pair, but well worth it.

so quiet and easy to use, when the wash is finished they play a tune to let you know, and switch themselves off :p

Soldato
Where's Dimple when we need him? :p I also used to sell white goods, and my best advice would be to avoid the likes of Indesit, Beko, Hotpoint and their kin. The Bosch basic range doesn't meet the Bosch brand quality rep either, so don't be blinded by the brand name there. Their top end stuff is still great though.

Miele stuff is really built to last. I used to scrape a 20p down the face of it to show how tough even the paint was. As I said above though, I became very enamoured of the LG machines. They are very very quiet when balanced properly, even in their spin cycle you could happily have a normal conversation sitting right next to it. The direct drive motor isn't susceptible to belt wear or brushes wearing down either, so more reliable and consistent than belt motor machines, but cheaper than Miele

Soldato
You wouldn't regret it. The bigger models have a few more features to make them more efficient, but even the basic direct drive machine is great.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Yes.

But they're not what they used to be!
Although it's the new dishwasher that is causing problems. The new Miele washing machine has been faultless.

Soldato
I would say no.

I am a massive Miele fan, all my appliances are Miele or Gaggenau however I just cant see how its worth paying £1 to £2k for a washing machine when £500+/- will get you a really good Bosch (just as good spec as the Miele) washing machine which you can replace after 5 years if it dies.

Back
Top Bottom