Miele really worth it?

Soldato
No. I'd go for a Siemens. The quality of Bosch has gone down recently and the price of Miele has gone up. Siemens is the middle ground.

Our Bosch broke under the load placed on it* but the Siemens hasn't missed a beat for the last five years.

* Washing machines in our house get a hard time. A seriously hard time.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
No, £100 Beko and when it blows up before the warranty expires (1-2 years) they give you a new one. Had about 3 washers from them now.

Also you dont need 4 gazillion wash cycles. 4 at the most.

Caporegime
I wouldn't get a Miele washing machine. Anecdote and all that but my friend has one and it's been a never ending stream of trouble; they even replaced it and the new one is just as bad.

My Miele hoover is great.

Soldato
When you say your new house doesn't have a washing machine. Do you mean:

You've purchased a new house and you want to buy a washing machine for it, or
You're renting a new house that doesn't have a washing machine.

Because if you are renting then get a cheap one that will do the job ok and put the money towards something more permanent accomodation wise not a washing machine! Plus no matter the quality you don't want something being bumped from rental property to rental property every 6-12 month etc.

Soldato
No. I'd go for a Siemens. The quality of Bosch has gone down recently and the price of Miele has gone up. Siemens is the middle ground.

Our Bosch broke under the load placed on it* but the Siemens hasn't missed a beat for the last five years.

* Washing machines in our house get a hard time. A seriously hard time.
Which model Bosch broke, out of interest? I can understand the budget Classix clapping out doing 3-4 full loads every day, but not the Logixx.

Caporegime
People who buy Meile never buy anything else after that - sure says a lot
yea says they are old and stuck in their ways :p
usually they buy miele because their granma did lol

I've got a hotpoint friedge/freezer thats about 7ft tall and its lasted 10years+
creda cooker thats lasted 10 years +
dyson thats lasted 10years +

Most things will last along time if you treat them right.

descale your washing machine.
keep the cooling coils on the back of your fridge/freezer away from the wall a little and keep them dust free.
wash the filters on your vacuum like it says in the manual.

etc simple things most people don't do

We could start a miele campaign "miele YOBO" you only buy once :p

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I've had my Indesit for 7 years and no problems so far.

I've got a hotpoint friedge/freezer thats about 7ft tall and its lasted 10years+
creda cooker thats lasted 10 years +

Both of you are very lucky.
Indesit, Creda & Hotpoint have been the same company since 2002 and quality of parts went downhill very fast.

Soldato
I have a Miele W427 bought by my grandmother approximately 20 years ago :eek:

Works perfectly, although I obviously can't speak for the reliability of the modern stuff......

-Leezer-

Caporegime
Ultimate you're paying for the odd's something will last a certain amount of time, but a more expensive device won't always outlast a cheapo one.

Ended up buying a cheapo fridge because its only being used for mostly drinks in a different part of the house, a better fridge will cool quicker, keep the temp around all food similar and be safer, even if it lasts the same amount of time there is also how well it does its job in the meantime.

However with Miele I'd say two things, IF you get it with a 10 year warranty, some of their stuff comes with it, others you need to buy during offers to get an upgraded warranty for free, then I'd say worth it. I'm under the impression(might be wrong) that Miele don't do parts nor release repair manuals to anyone so you get stuck with expensive parts through authorised repairers, where with other brands anyone can get the manual/order parts, and get it fixed more easily by more people. So outside of warranty Miele's can be expensive to fix and get parts for.

Realistically without an awesome warranty its a gamble, £200 fridge, or £1000 fridge, if the £200 fridge ends up lasting for 3 years and the £1000 for 15 years, it ends up cheaper spending £1k upfront. Do cheap POS goods sometimes last over 15 years, sure, do top notch parts sometimes die after 3 years when the warranty is up, sure. Its a gamble, the odds are on a Miele lasting longer than a Beko and could be worth 3-4 times as much.

Overall buying something middle of the road from somewhere that will do a 5 year warranty probably ends up being the best gamble. But as above, that Miele might work better over the time it lasts.

From my experience of parents stuff, Armada fridge has lasted 15 years, one breakdown after 12 years, easy/quick/cheap fix, worked for 3 years since with no problems. Miele dishwasher, works fine, isn't massively quiet, isn't a great internal design, bad shelves that are ackward to fill, but no problem for several years and came with 10 year warranty. Miele washing machine, worked for ages, no problems, pretty quiet, much quieter than old John Lewis machine that broke down loads but was always fixed for free, inconvinient though.

If you can get a Miele with 10 year warranty for no extra cost, do it, for 10 years a quality device that will be fixed/replaced is likely worth it. 3 year warranty, if it dies after a few years you've paid way more and not had good value for money.

Man of Honour
£200 Beko owner. Bite me.

Reconditioned washing machine owner. I can't even remember the name of it or how much I paid, but I know it was under £100. £70? £80? Somewhere around there.

It's lasted about 10 years now. I had to replace the brushes a little while ago and that was a bothersome job because of the bad design, but I got the job done.

But if I had enough money I'd buy near the top end, after some research. There's no point paying for a fashionable name or features you don't actually want, but there is a point in paying for quality. It's often cheaper in the long run and almost always more reliable. So I'd do what the OP has done - ask people.

Soldato
Another vote for an LG direct drive. We got an RRP £500 one for £280 from a factory seconds shop because it had a tiny ding and scrape in the paint on the side. Considering it's in a kitchen unit anyway so you can't see the damage at all, bargain imo!

We've only had it about 2 years, but it's been absolutely hammered the last 14 months due to a baby and a clean freak GF (2-3 loads almost every day!!) and hasn't skipped a beat :)

Plus as others have said, really quiet (our fridge freezer is noisier!!!)

Soldato
We bought a second hand washing machine machine for 100 quid when we were house sharing. It was amazing. So amazing, I forget the make.

I was recently living in a brand new flat that had the white goods provided. The 'Haier' washing machine vibrated like the cabin of a cut n shut 106 XND. I swear the entire flat used to move when that thing was on. I gave away the 100 quid machine too. Gutted.
The dishwasher was also crap. Crap at washing dishes and the slidey outey mechanism was just... crap.

Do not buy cheap white goods!

Back
Top Bottom